Minority Report v Stoke City

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Red Rain, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As I have said many times, Minority Report is about systems. Today, that leaves me with a bit of a problem. I would normally talk about the press, but tonight there wasn’t one. Stoke did not want to play from the back, and when a team hits the ball back toward us long, there is little point in playing a forward press. The early goal meant that for the rest of the game we could let Stoke have the ball and play the game on the break. In the first half, that worked well and we saw a much more open game than we have seen at Oakwell recently. However, in the second half it became attritional. It was mainly a problem for Stoke. They were the team that was behind, and whether their manager likes it or not, it is their responsibility to do something differently in order to change the game. I have always thought that O’Neil lacks imagination. He has better players to call on in his squad but he failed to give us any problems in spite having the lion’s share of possession. They were dull, dull dull.

Having said that, in the second half, we were little better. The ball was looped forward in a way that I have lamented upon before, but at least our front 3 scrapped for the ball, often making a poor ball forward into something a bit better. In that second half, there were few chances at either end and what there was were only half chances. Stoke had one or two half chances from set pieces, but they fell to defenders who did not have the skill or composure to make anything of them. Equally, we created very little on the break, and nothing at all from set pieces. With time ticking away, Stoke became more desperate and the game got a little more open. Palmer had played well, but Halme is an improvement late in the game against an opponent with big players who want to compete for high balls. Although Woodrow had played well, I was grateful for his late substitution by the speedier Chaplin, who I felt would present a different challenge against tiring defenders. Even so, our second, when it arrived right at the end of normal time was a series of mistakes by a tiring defence that had lost concentration. They had cleared the first ball without too much trouble, but not only did they fail to mark up properly for the second ball, there was also a straggler who played Dike on side when he should not have been. Obviously, no-one in red, in either mind or shirt will care, but it is that sort of thing that will drive a coach insane.

I no longer publish my pre-amble on the BBS because I got fed-up of the abuse it attracted. However, if you could see it, you would note my resolve to change my attitude towards VI. It has to be said that VI has performed miracles with the Barnsley playing staff. Their lack of quality and particularly pace is more than compensated for by their patience and adherence to the game plan. I would still prefer to see the game played with more flair, but I guess wins will have to do until then. I also resolve to be more patient.

2. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sounds like you're gutted we won.

3. red

red24/7 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    the pitch is a bog, you do not get out of the championship playing pretty football for 90 minutes,we can play when we get chance, we scrapped for every 2nd ball, think your reports are very blinkered ,the reason they were at 6s and 7s for 2nd goal was because Victor bust a gut to get the ball back, when it looked like they were going to break,good that you like writing them but can not remember one I have agreed with for ages,you are wanting the team to play a game that no longer exists,its not the 90s anymore and you got to scrap to get out of this league

4. Sch

Scholesisgod Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That’s exactly how I read his posts each week but not away from home because he doesn’t watch us so how he believes he has this huge insight into how we play week in week out is beyond me but you’re right it’s like he’s waiting for us to lose so he can say I told you so and call out VI

5. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Try responding specifically to the points that he made, and take issue with them, one by one, if you can.

If you can't, then leave him alone.

To persever in flimsy attempted character assassination is quite frankly pathetic.

Challenge his words.

blivy and DannyWilsonLovechild like this.
  6. Sch

Scholesisgod Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Also I find your level of criticism aimed at our squad rather insulting too you seem to believe that we’re winning games through other teams being poor not through our own players ability. Or Lack of ability as you say the two Callum’s, mowatt, Morris, Palmer must be just dogs bodies in a system getting results rather than producing quality moments with their ability.. I mean styles goal was a result of stoke being poor yeah

7. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I've had a superbly entertaining evening. I listened to the first half on Radio Sheffield, then eventually figured out how to get the 2nd half on Sky Go. In between I was refreshing on here, calculating league tables, chatting with fellow fans on WhatsApp, giggling at Owlstalk and following the Stoke owners' helicopter on FlightRadar. We changed our game to cope with a different challenge, defended brilliantly, they hardly had a shot in the second half. All accompanied by a few nice glasses of red. What a magnificent evening!

8. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Congrats.

Your the very first person I will stick on ignore.

I'm convinced if you were shoved into a brothel full of virgins, you will still not be happy

Edit

Anyone, how do I do it?

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  9. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Normally I'd agree, but whenever I've seen people do this he's just ignored it. It's not fair to expect everybody to treat RR with respect while allowing him to do whatever he likes in return. It goes both ways.

10. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You are starting to appreciate VI and the players for the effort they are putting in. This is a quality league, with quality players. We are currently sitting in 8th position in this league. Also VI' s team is currently in 5th place in the form table since VI arrived. I make that remarkable progress.

I would need to see our second goal again, but I think more praise needs to be given to Victor, Chaplin and the goalscorer DD.

11. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And they say blokes can't multitask!!!!

12. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I assume you pay the lady and have sex with her but I'm not expert. You're better off asking deetee.

Alternatively click on a user's name and it brings up the little box of information and a few links like profile and start a conversation etc. One of the button/links says ignore.

13. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I do appreciate the way you look at football and can have a conversation about a game from a more tactical perspective.

However, I honestly think your early predictions that this team wouldn't be able to play 3-4-3 has led to you continuously looking for a negative slant on what is a remarkable run of results and performances. You've built a rod for your own back because your predictions have been so wildly incorrect. And you keep doubling down on it.

There literally isn't another way to look at this set of players right now. Some of the wins have been scrappy, some dull affairs, but not recently at all. Tonight was an exciting game where we were more open than normal, and could count ourselves fortunate that Stoke were really poor with their final delivery. But we played some really good stuff against a side that are difficult to beat, and in the end won at a bit of a canter. Another goal wouldn't have been a false reflection on how little Stoke threatened.

Four wins in a row including victories against Brentford, Blackburn and Stoke. Fairly decent sized clubs at Championship level (arguably). Millions spent on the opposition and Big Val has got this Barnsley team, full of young players with quality, performing in a way that is everything Barnsley as a town is about.

ScubaTyke, Mr C, Django and 20 others like this.
  14. Gegenpresser

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I'm not asking people to be respectful.

I'm asking them to respond to the points he's made or leave it.

But if you agree with them, while you're on, can you point out which part of RR's post indicates that he'd like us to be losing?

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  15. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    mate.

we are 3 points off 5th with a game in hand.

that is an outstanding achievement given our budget. Outstanding. We out work our opponents in every game I watch. Our manager’s substitutions have an impact on games. We nullified Stoke in the second half which was down to his tactics. We play some excellent one touch stuff up top quite often. Styles’ strike was sublime.

To some degree I agree with your analysis but I am sorry I find it way too negative. For example, the winning goal of the game from:-

superb determination from Vic - they could have had a break on but his sheer determination won the ball back at pace;
    Because the ball was won back at pace their man wouldn’t have been able to get out from the corner quickly enough so would inevitably play Dike onside;
    The ball comes to Chaplin who plays a sublime ball to Dike;
    Who steadies himself and finishes calmly and cooly.

No offence intended but find it a bit odd that you find a negative spin to out on it?
    they were bringing players off the bench who earn in excess of 30/40k a week and cost millions. I think you need to reflect on that for a moment - incredible things are happening at Oakwell

COYR

Kettlewell, Mido, wakeyred and 7 others like this.
  16. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is not the reaction that I expected tonight. Why not start by listening to Ismael's comments on his Radio Sheffield interview, and then tell me again how wrong my analysis is.

Bossman likes this.
  17. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that’s fair enough, and I’ve had a lot of problems with some of your comments in the past.

That was a great win tonight because #TeamslikeStoke, and teams who take the muscular approach that they did, are just the type of team who would have rolled us over in the past. No problem.

You can’t honestly say we won tonight because of our flowing football. We won principally because we were industrious and at times industrial! But so what? We don’t really have the personnel who can go into a game and impose our football on other teams. We are far more reactive (I would say flexible) and we play what is in front of us. As you say Stoke were going to play long so we had to compete with that individually and collectively - and we did. The fact that we won the game when not all our players were at their best really says something for the drive, work ethic and togetherness of this squad.

You have to give the Coach huge credit for that. Rather like McCarthy at Cardiff, he’s made some very quick judgements on the quality of what he’s got and introduced a method that has taken us to the brink of the Play Offs. ( all Reds Fans should read that last sentence again and let it sink in). I think you deserve credit for acknowledging that even if you’re not a fan of the style(s).

One last point, even during tonight’s game, the rare bits of footballing quality came from us when we got it down and passed around them. There wasn’t a lot on display in the overall game, but it’s there and maybe we’ll see more of it in future if players are retained and continue to develop and more quality additions are added to the squad.

18. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is totally pointless attempting to converse with RR. He is the most arrogant member on here and will not listen to anything remotely critical about him on here as it may damage his fragile ego.

Try by all means but I can assure you, you are wasting your time. RR is only interested in everyone else bowing down to his superior intellect.

19. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We scored our second goal because Stoke defenders were tired

20. Gegenpresser

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Respond to his view on the game tonight. To what he's said. Just try it.

I agree or disagree with him from time to time. If it rouses me enough. But I don't hold with simply posting a perception of his character, as you've just done.

If you don't like it, ignore it.