Minutes Given This Season To Players Aged 23 And Under

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by dreamboy3000, Dec 14, 2018.

1. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Surprised two sides in our league have given more than our own very young team.....

2. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    None of those are in the top 5. Is an interesting tactic the board are implementing. Goes against the grain of blending youth with experience. Perhaps it’s just cheaper and more profitable. But I would have thought success on the pitch would lead to far great profits.

Personally hope we sign a couple of experienced heads and a couple of exciting “youngsters” in January. If we do then I’ll have a lot more faith that the new regime are capable of being flexible to achieve their goals rather than sticking to a plan that may work in football manager but is more difficult in reality.

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got to agree with this. I don't believe there will be no signings in January, they surely listen to the management team and they have been suggesting that some experience would be good. A few decent additions needed in January.

4. BramptonTyke

BramptonTyke Well-Known Member

Shop worker
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Only players under 26 so we can still sell them on. The spreadsheet says so. Wont get anyone like that in jan on a permanent deal.

5. OxR

OxRed Well-Known Member

Sick of reading ***** like this on here. I can’t deny that there are players over the age of 26 that would improve our team immediately, but in general, if we can afford to sign them at that age and at our level, then fundamentally they’re failed footballers. Why aren’t they sought after by clubs higher in the pyramid?
    There will always be exceptions and ones who have “fallen through the net” but in League 1 and below, it surely makes complete business sense to recruit potential and develop it into valuable/saleable assets.

6. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So every 27 year old in the bottom two divisions has failed?

Edit - just remind me who turned our season around in 2015 and how old he was?

7. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think anyone is saying that players over 26 are guaranteed failures, or that players under that age are guaranteed successes. Every player is a gamble but when you buy them young the initial outlay and the wages are much lower and the potential profit is much higher.

Of course if you can reliably identify the players over 26 who warrant the extra outlay then that's ******* brilliant but it's not a science and for every Adam Hammill there's a Leroy Lita

8. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oxford is saying exactly that every over 26 year old we could sign is a failure

9. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think today yet again showed we need a few experienced heads that younger lads can learn from. Its telling that the teams listed in the tweet aren't the clubs with a blend of youth and experience that's towards the top of the league.