Modern Football in microcosm.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jimmy viz, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  2. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  3. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Too much money. Too little respect for the people who gave them that money. Sad really that the people's game has become this ugly unrecognisable beast.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fans Forum

churtonred likes this.
  4. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's almost definitely way more to it than there looks.

5. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's naieve to say they're all awful, horrible people, I'm sure they're not but some of them and/or the clubs need a dose of reality. They go into training etc once a day. Is it asking too much to stop for 10 minutes at either end of the (short) day to interact with the fans? These guys are earning more a week than any of us in a year and some are earning multiple times that amount.
    I know it's problematic but a wage cap would wipe the smile off a lot of faces.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  6. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    A good friend of mine is a Liverpool fan, yet he absolutely hates the club and its owners these days. He refused to go to Anfield as its full of day trippers, atmosphere has completely died.

He was outside Anfield paying his respects to the Hillsborough victims, before the coaches set off to Sheffield for the memorial, a bus load of tourists turned up for a stadium tour, snapping away, on that of all days.

Apparently their training facilities are like Fort Knox, although judging by this video their efforts would be wasted, yet they're happy to pose for pictures with "fans" in the Far East.

Welcome to modern football.

7. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is it not because most of the folk begging signatures, just stick the signed merchandise on Ebay for £££'s.

8. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No.

Not sure a kid wanting his shirt signed falls into that category.

Lazy stereotype I know but the British lads can operate a pen easily enough.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fans Forum

9. only1kp

only1kp Well-Known Member

father of 3, best friends with jack daniels
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The comment about jordan rhodes being near a pen was quality :D

Farnham_Red likes this.
  10. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Met a couple on holiday who support Liverpool. They are telling me that players and managerial
    staff are under strict orders not to sign autographs because due to the restricted access in and
    around their Melwood training ground there are safety concerns for players, local residents and
    young people seeking the players autographs.

To compensate the Club will organise more widespread school visits so kids can get their shirts,
    books etc signed by their heroes. See link from the Echo below.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-players-asked-refuse-autographs-12416461

11. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Aye, those kids seeking the autograph(s) from their heroes are a proper security threat to the players.

12. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Reminds me of a night down at Oakwell in 1991 when we'd played Nottingham Forest in that plastic Full Members Cup competition, also known as Zenith Data Systems Cup.

We knocked out a near full strength top division Forest and after the game all their superstars came out of the ground straight onto the bus totally ignoring a fair sized crowd of eager Barnsley youngsters who'd gathered to get the autographs of these famous players.

When Brian Clough came out last and saw what had happened he told every player to get back off the bus and for every one of them to sign for each kid.

dartonpete, Donny Red and Jimmy viz like this.
  13. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's not so much that LD my mate told me that to get round the crowds local residents have
    had to drive on the pavement to get by them and with kids still walking forwards looking at
    autograph books and phones there have been a couple of "near misses" so acting on the
    advice of the Merseyside Police they've been advised to stop doing it.

Also some shirts signed by the players have been turning up on e-bay and are selling for good
    amounts in the Far East and so not wanting to deny kids the chance to meet and get the autograph
    of their favourite player(s) they've gone for controlling the situation using school visits.

The only people missing out are tourists who can't get to a game but sadly that's unavoidable.
    You can see with Klopps expression he's reluctant to ignore them but they are all under " orders."
    Makes you wonder if Sturridge and Milner might have got a rollicking for stopping to sign.? Hope not.

14. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    You'll have to remind me where they've gone for pre season...

15. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They are in Hong Kong. Know that cos the couple we met have a son who also supports Liverpool and
    he's gone out there with his girlfriend. They're making a holiday of it.

Liverpool have a massive fan base out there so there's no wonder there's a market for anything
    offered on e-bay. Robbie Fowler and Ian Rush are out there with them as Club ambassadors.

16. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Correct, while happily posing for "fans" in pictures.

Sounds fair.

Donny Red likes this.
  17. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Love him or loathe him he was a complete one off was Cloughie. When I worked at Donny Council one of my
    colleagues who was a big Everton fan got some tickets for their game against Forest at the City Ground and
    asked me if I'd like to go to the match with him and his lad. Everton were going for the title and I remember the game
    because their star man Andy Gray was marked out of the game by a giant centre half a Dutch lad called Johnny Metgog.
    After the game which Forest won 1-0 we decided to take the lad to the Function room entrance to see whether he could
    get some of the players autographs.

There was a commissionaire on the door in a vivid red uniform complete with gold braid and he was taking the passes
    off the various invited guests before allowing them access.
    A black Jag swept up to the front door and a guy in a smart suit and black overcoat went up the steps towards the door. The
    commissionaire said " can I see your pass please sir." The guy replied " I haven't got one but if you ask my friend
    Brian Clough to come out he will let me in." The guy said could I take your name please Sir." He replied " I am
    an Everton supporter and my name is Councillor Derek Hatton Deputy Leader of Liverpool City Council".

The doorman went to a phone on the wall and around three minutes later Cloughie complete with green top bounded
    through the doors. He walked towards Hatton arms open wide and warmly embraced him.

He asked " Derek my friend how may I help you." ? Hatton said " before I left I asked my chauffeur to bring me here in the
    hope I could treat you to a drink before I go back to Liverpool , but your jobsworth here won't let me in".

Cloughie said " its simple, just show George your invitation and he will let you in". Hatton replied " I haven't got one". Cloughie
    " Derek, Derek my friend, this wonderful gentleman here runs this Suite like a military operation and regretably its more than
    MY job is worth to ask him to let you in without a pass. If we are in the same League next Season give me a bell and I will
    gladly send you some passes and I will buy you a drink." With that he slapped him either side of his face Eric Morecambe style said goodbye and turned on his heels and returned back into the room.

The Commissionare saluted bowed his head and politely said " Good day Sir". Hatton climbed back into the Jag and left in a huff to the sound of around 60 or so fans at the front of the building all whistling and clapping. The Commissionaire had a
    massive grin on his face. It was absolutely brilliant.

I hadn't a clue who Hatton was until he hit the headlines later that year when he championed the rate- capping rebellion in the City. He was a Trotskyist and like Cloughie he was also a card carrying member of the Labour Party although Hatton was
    expelled from the party in 1986. Despite their loss that day Everton went on to win the title and were also Runners up to Man Utd in the FA Cup.

Jimmy viz and Exile like this.