Mowatt

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Leeds_tyke, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Lee

Leeds_tyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know that it was only a friendly so I'm not getting carried away but i thought that he was by far the best player on the pitch today. Looked much more comfortable playing in the number 10 role and got around the pitch well. Hope that the knock that he took in the 2nd half wasn't too serious too.

Despite the result, I actually enjoyed tonight. It was great to see Issy having some fun on the wing and Moncur looks like a safe bet for the deeper lying role.

The one thing that we've all learnt from tonight was what we already knew. We need a striker. In Hecky we trust.

One last point. What a strike for the second. I doubt that he'll score a better goal than that in his life!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RedAllOver, Kettlewell and Connor like this.
  2. Iro

Ironjaw94 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think mowatt will be first name on the team sheet this season. His attitude seems spot on too. Apparently done a lot of work on his own even before preseason

DusThaNoIII and Leeds_tyke like this.
  3. Lee

Leeds_tyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's good news if it's true. Like I said looked well up with the pace of the game. Just needs to play in a midfield 3 rather than a 2?

4. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hope he's better than last season, looked shocking every time I've seen him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like to Mowett, Mowett :)

6. too

toontyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Genius! Next year's top song :)

7. Orared

Orared Well-Known Member

Accountant, now retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just shows how a game like this evokes different opinions. I thought Mowatt got around the pitch more than any time last season but failed to create anything at all.
    I thought D'Almeida was by a million miles the most accomplished of our players but my mate who I went with thought he was just ok.
    As we all know, we are crying out for a big lad up front and a bit of steel in midfield
    Just my opinions like.

8. Lee

Leeds_tyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was stood watching the game next to some Guiseley fans and it was interesting to hear different opinions about our players. Sessi got a bit of a slating after a decent first 10 mins.

9. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sessi started off well but did fade away a bit, wouldn't say he was poor though. Mowatt did play well, I'd not seen him before but I'd heard he was a little short of pace and whilst he wasn't quick he had enough to get away from players in the first few yards and seemed in good shape.

If we play two in CM then three out of Sessi, Mowett, Moncur, McGeehan and Mallan are going to be bench warming a lot. I quite like 3 in midfield and two out wide, but it doesn't work with just Bradshaw up front and relies on you having wide goal scoring forwards rather than out and out wingers. Hedges could play that role as I understood he's a striker but is he going to score goals? His crossing wasn't up to much, but he's skillful for a tall lad and got plenty of pace. He needs some sort of end product though. Same with Isgrove.

10. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think Mowatt just needs a full pre-season with us. He'd been dipped in and out of the Leeds team last season so was probably miles behind when it came to match fitness.

He was a classy player just a couple of years ago, you don't lose that overnight.

I was very happy with his signing and disappointed with how he performed last season but I don't think he's a bad player.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

11. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was impressed with Sessi; he looked more composed than when he played last season. But Moncur looked better when he played in the same role. Was also impressed by Hedges, although his end product probably needs to improve a bit

12. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For me the players that's stood out first half were Sessi and Hedges who both put solid shift in and were actually surprisingly on the pace and looked sharp. Sessi looked physically strong and controlled the tempo from midfield but faded late in the half. To be expected given he hasn't played for a year. Hedges looked sharp, two footed and involved a lot. Isgrove looked good too. Mallan looked a yard off the pace for me While I agree Mowatt looked like the player we wanted last year, sharp and worked hard although had spells where he drifted out of the game. Hope his injury wasn't bad.

Second half Moncur looked a class above most on the park. Pinged balls about and also made some decent runs. Great goal too. However we need someone in midfield who can get a foot in and tackle. Sessi was the only one who showed that to me consistently first half. Ben Williams put in a good shift and I thought Fryers had good and bad spells. Needs to be far more consistent in that role to nail a starting place. McCarthy second half looked composed and hard working on the right. Pinnock needs to adjust but we saw the same rough edges when we brought Angus and Roberts in. Once they adjusted physically and speed of mind and foot they were good so hopefully will see him develop. Jackson is too inconsistent, made some great tackles and then gave the ball away softly. Not sure why Lindsay wasn't playing.

Angus 2nd half, Yids 1st half captains did the usual good job. While Walton in goal for 90 mins could have done a bit better on 1 or 2 of the goals but generally looked ok. Clearly Davies will be the starting goalie.

So far if we play 3 in Midfield I see Moncur and Mowatt as the main stays with Mallan and Sessi fighting for the 3rd slot. Isgrove and Hamill wide.

The big big issue is upfront. Bradshaw worked hard, didn't look sharp in front of goal yet but early in pre-season. However we have no-one who can make space, physically compete and hold the ball up. We are limited on numbers making us one dimensional. This has to be addressed and we all know that.

Kettlewell, RedAllOver and Connor like this.
  13. Lee

Leeds_tyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought that it was odd that Townsend didnt get a run out in goal. Pinnock had his moments but was up against a very physical forward (number 9?) so had his work cut out.

14. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it was odd as well that Hecky didnt play Nick Townsend in goal.
    And didnt this show more than anything else that the 1 up front idea is a bad one, and it looks even worse when the 1 player in question is Tom Bradshaw.
    Im liking what fans are saying about how our midfield is shaping up, but if we're going to use both Moncur & Mowatt then it looks like its going to be a 5 man midfield, and that of course means just 1 striker.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  15. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    1 Up front is ok if the players can play that formation. It means they have to hold play up to bring midfield into attack. Also they have to get on the end of the wide play more often than not. So the question is, can Bradshaw play this formation. So far I haven't seen that this is his forte. So we either need to partner him up and play 2 or find someone who can play the Plan A style. Maybe that's what the hope is in McBurnie.

16. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd say perhaps the reason we played that formation yesterday is mainly due to lack of options rather than anything. Hecky wants 3 strikers and I'd imagine we should get 3 in by the end of August (hopefully by the start of the season ideally) and then I'd hope we play 2 up front again

17. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Id rather we try the former option first and go with 2, that might be just what Bradshaw is lacking.
    After all the recent gossip about Ashley Fletcher coming back on loan, Id have liked to see him paried up front with Bradshaw.
    And hasnt the interest in the kid McBurnie died down a bit now.

18. bra

bradgatetyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm still undecided about Hammill. He was a big disappointment last season after his performances the season before. He must be the most experienced player for us now but didn't look like it last year. I'd hope he'd be second choice to play wide based on last season as we were getting too little out of him for him to be a reliable first choice player.

19. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Second choice behind who?

I agree he didn't have a great season but he wasn't helped by injury and suspension.

20. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    McGeehan seems to be the sort of midfielder who gets right into to the box to score goals, but he's obviously off the pace a bit. But maybe playing 5 would be beneficial with him in it.