My attention tonight was on the CEO Gauthier

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Hemsworth Tyke, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would like to know what others thought was on him.

Performance out of 10.

Will give my opinion at a later date

2. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  3. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Clothes?

4. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hemsie - did the big guy sat at the back of you watch your seat while you went to the bar and then kick your drink over ???

5. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Tyke The Tree-Frog Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can we have a vote not to hear your opinion at a later date?

6. barrywhitesbarmyarmy

barrywhitesbarmyarmy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley
  7. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He did

8. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know some people think the CEO runs the club but he can only disclose what the owner authorises him to do so.

Farnham_Red, Redstar and Kettlewell like this.
  9. sel

selby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you can see which way people are going then make a long winded post arguing the opposite?

10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did he look nervous?

11. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    FYI, there are other threads already up and running that are currently discussing tonight’s meeting and in particular GG.

12. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My view on Gauthier Ganaye
    Firstly can I say thankyou to the people from the Supporters trust for putting on the event. I don't know all the names so I can't name them thanks for the Evening .
    -----------------------------------------
    I decided to go quite late on really to this. Unlike me because I'm the sort of person that likes planning things well in advance.

Anyway I got in tonight and my view on going was in a way to see if the club would let the fans know anything and to assess Mr Ganaye. Now i'm not going to be too nice about him so anyone easily offended might not want to read on.

What did I find of GG, well I thought he was poor tonight, really poor. In a public performance way he was miles of what Mr Ben Mansford was and I would think still is. These events with the public are about this type of thing. In a politics manner it nearly killed Mrs May but been honest she's world class compared to him.

I found him trying to be funny. Not once, not twice but pretty much all the time. The worst thing was he actually thought he was funny.

He and to be fair the owner didn't want to let slip of anything all night. Straight bat time and time again.

If you are the above he must have all the facts and figures. Sorry he didn't, couldn't give an answer to basic income questions. He'd be out first week on Lord Sugars program and on Dragons den he wouldn't have got a lot further on that either.

Does this surprise me? No. I put on this very forum of my concerns about him in what July and tonight I'd hoped they would have been gone and i'd look stupid. All tonight did was underline the faults I had in the summer. I was told by Whitey that he was wonderful. By Wayne he had met him in the Town and he was great. Sorry I don't buy any of it.
    ------------------------------------------
    The questions asked. Any of any meaning weren't answered. Some of the others I had to cringe at. Someone not knowing what a options year was in a contract because he only watched what happened on the grass. The older generation not knowing what money ball system was and one asking why aren't other clubs doing it. Comeon, look around. Other clubs are doing it. Some were doing it before BFC

Some of the more interesting things to me just went by which were answered by Mr Cryne. One was the data base they had and how it only covered tier 1 to tier 6 in England. I'm not sure if they cover any of Scotland but I would have been interested if they were interested in covering Europe with it which is something I believe would benefit the club massive with the wealth of the championship clubs compared to second tier French/Spainish/Italian clubs.

I understand what Ray I believe was trying to do by saying that we all say things on social media but what he's got to understand is the panel played pretty much everything straight bat and some like. myself aren't confident enough to speak in front of the group.

On the on Barnsley football club media stuff. He mentioned wanting to be a Chelsea and not league two. Best thing Gauthier said all night was that. Made me smile anyway. The thing Gathier fails to mention was the media team can't get a kick off time correct sometimes. So give up with the big company's won't want to work with us because we don't look professional when the basics aren't been done. The old CEO made out it was us stopping the bigger firms sponsoring us because we had loyalty with the smaller ones anyway.

Jimmy viz and GatesheadRed like this.
  13. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think its unfair to measure Gautiers performance against The Apprentice or Dragons Den , he'd walk Bake Off and Master Chef

14. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some interesting points raised there Phil. I didn't go obviously so I can't comment on Ganaye's performance, but what I would say is that speaking in front of people and making the odd funny joke is difficult enough in your first language. Obviously anyone doing a job in his position should be able to cope with it no problem, but still doing anything like that in your second language, no matter how well you speak it, is an immensely challenging task. Especially when it comes really nuanced things like jokes, dealing with sensitive information without sounding aloof, and other things which native speakers of a language find much easier to deal with.

15. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So. We are in the middle of what are clearly delicate takeover negotiations, with the added complication of ownership of the ground and facilities part-owned by the local authority, and Patrick as previously stated clearly wishing to have certain assurances about the future running of the club. Figures of £20M being mentioned, and an important meeting reported to be taking place with BMBC tomorrow. And you want the background details disclosed in public before the deal has been fully agreed?

And we are closing in on another transfer window where Patrick says there will clearly be significant activity and you want the CEO to start disclosing our turnover and profitability where it will be visible for other clubs to use to their advantage? And you want public details on the database and how we use it when we are in competition for signings with other clubs who envy our approach and results?

And you compare the CEO with Theresa May, who has to submit herself for election, when Gauthier only needs to enjoy the confidence of the owner and the Board (which he clearly has)? And also with Ben Mansford (who I also rated highly, by the way) who walked at the first sign of a "bigger" job? And it's not enough that we have a young, well-connected intelligent multi-lingual CEO whose recruitment was overseen by one of this country's top sports lawyers? And that most of the recruitment of our present highly promising young squad has taken place since Gauthier's appointment?

Do you think you need to have a word with yourself about your expectations?

16. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    More bothered about what the guy does from his office rather than what he says sat in front of the Supporters Trust.

17. Abruzzo Red

Abruzzo Red Well-Known Member

Retired - Formerly Gosport Tyke, 2013 - 2022
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hemsworth, not sure your faults are limited to the summer!

Django and ScubaTyke like this.
  18. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm pretty much backing Phil to the hilt on this. He's got it pretty spot on for me.
    • the very first thing Alan Bloor did to open the meeting, was to declare it a private meeting, then ordered people to switch their phones off and stay off social media. sorry pal - you're not the stasi. that for me set the whole tone of the meeting. and people wonder why these types of meeting are branded as secretive
    • he was obviously asked about hecky. response "we do not comment on speculation". Then handed the mic back
    • ray does a great job, but like my grandad used to say - sometimes, people should speak less and listen more. on several occasions he literally answered questions on gauthier's behalf. like some kind of defence lawyer. at one point, some old boy sat in front of me said 'let him answer the bloody question'
    • he refused to answer really simple questions, like what the basic revenue stream is - at which point, people in the room audibly asked 'why not'. lots of puzzled looks
    • he was asked about shirts - very glib response 'we have 5000 shirts in stock'. he did then go onto talk about CRM, which was a better explanation - but had to be pushed on it
    The biggest worry for me however, was his response to one particular question. A bloke very articulately asked (and i'm paraphrasing) - 'players are judged on their performances on the pitch, managers are judged on the results - what do you think you will be judged on as CEO'. Best question of the night for me. Asking the CEO directly, how he thinks his success will be measured. An opportunity for him to share his vision with everyone, in his first QA session. Answer - "like any successful person, you are only successful because of the person above above". Then handed the mic back to Ray. Literally no answer, to a great question.

You could sense the frustration in the room, as people began to change the way they were phrasing questions, to try and get some straight answers to simple questions.

For me, the whole event didn't feel like an open QA - it felt more like a controlled press conference. It felt very reminiscent of the first (and only) QA that Linton Brown did as CEO - I left feeling very underwhelmed, and not very confident in the bloke.

19. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I liked Mansford a lot. After the club had rightly been castigated for years for their terrible customer relations approach he was a breath of fresh air. He got hammered by some because, in the act of divulging as much info as he could he made the odd mistake, and mistakes seemed not to be acceptable for the reev etc.
    Gauthier Ganaye has been disappointingly less engaging but it really doesn't matter that much as long as he's performing his core function. We're unlikely ever to see any real indicators of whether he is or not as a large part of his job is behind the scenes.
    For reasons why he's not very forthcoming at the moment you only need to read orsenkahts post.
    In fact I should have blathered less and just quoted his post and put "this" really.

20. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have gone backwards in all areas of communication since Mansford left. GG seems insipid and uninspiring.

I’m with Phil on this one. Unless he comes with a wealth of foreign contacts then I’d say he’s just a Gallic Linton Brown.