My view on today

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by wolvestyke, Dec 23, 2017.

1. wolvestyke

wolvestyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm encouraged by the performance. Defensively we were worked very hard and by and large were compact and well organised. The negative was that they got behind us more often than I would've liked but tbh both their wingers were very good and Barnes and Moncur didn't offer enough support to McCarthy and Yids. When they did get round the back though Pinnock and Lindsay dealt with everything they put in very well - intercepting, blocking and heading everything away.

Their first goal was a bad one to concede. They'd tried to create space numerous times but we'd closed them down - this was virtually the first time we let the lad come inside and gave him a sight of goal. Not sure who it was who let him get a yard but it was clearly a mistake. As for the second goal, it was clearly a fluke. From where we were at the opposite end it looked like a Davies mistake, but I'll reserve judgement until seeing the highlights.

We created a few chances in the first half and with a bit more quality would have scored. Hecky's right in his assessment that we lacked quality in and around their box. Bradshaw's header was a good one. One other thing that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere - a few minutes after their second Bradshaw was definitely pushed in their box and we should've had a penalty - the lad pushed him with two hands before winning the header.

Yes, it was disappointing to lose but Fulham have some good players and but for a fluke and a poor refereeing decision we'd have had a point.

I expect us to give a better performance on Boxing Day than we've seen in the last few home games. I'm encouraged that we're coming out of our slump.

Oh, and the support was fantastic again.

Finally, to those who are critical despite not even going and based purely on the result, please give it a rest!

2. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We had chances , but Fulham are a good team and had us under the cosh for long spells .

3. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for that level headed view.
    Key words here are ...........'We created a few chances in the first half and with a bit more quality would have scored'.

Which of course has been the problem from the first match of the season.
    The January transfer window is crucial if we are to survive this season in the Championship.

wolvestyke likes this.
  4. wolvestyke

wolvestyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed Nudge, everything isn't as bad as some are suggesting though. There is hope......

5. ScubaTyke

ScubaTyke Well-Known Member

Scuba Instructor/IT Consultant/Sailor...
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Now that is the match that I watched on iFollow, after seeing some of the comments on here I was starting to wonder if people were watching a different game.....

6. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Moncur

Yes, and made all the more bent by the fact that is was only a few yards from the ref who we could all see was looking right at it.

Fair-minded report mate. One thing I'd add was about the multiple snipers that were clearly operating down in SW6 yesterday - although they only seemed to be targeting those in white shirts. Fulham have some skilful and some quick players, so why they have to theatrically throw themselves to the ground and pathetically writhe around in faux agony when an opposing player as much as breathes on them is as unnecessary as it is pitiful. Ex Dee-Dar Macdonald is a particular disgrace, only surpassed by the lad Ojo (number 19) who was disgusting - if Lanzini got a two game ban for faking then that lad should get at least four for doing it at least twice.

Thought the lads battled hard overall, although carrying a few passengers (the clearly tired and flagging youngster Barnes who, probably understandably, needs a rest, the unfit and blowing after one run Thiam, Gardner - what does he actually do? and the awful, awful, disinterested, lazy, unfit, uninvolved sloth that is Moncur - surely that was the end for him? I put more effort in walking from the tube station to the ground than that lad yesterday).

I thought Davies could have done better with both goals but Moncur was the principal culprit for the first goal imho. We do need a goalkeeper that Hecky can trust to bring in, and that would be the case whether Davies was playing well or not, which he isn't - apart from the goals he spilled a simple shot straight at him in the opening minutes which Fulham pounced on but fortunately Yids combined with him to block the follow up and scramble it away.

We looked much, much better going forward when Hammill and Isgrove came on. If Adam and Lloyd are fit enough for a whole game they must start next week. The next three games are going to be mega-important to our season and hopefully we can pick up a few points - if we don't then I'd at least want us to have given it our best shot, using players who have some capability to hurt the opposition and who will have given their all for the cause for 90 minutes.

Kettlewell, ScubaTyke and Connor like this.
  7. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d say that’s a very reasonable report from what I’ve seen. I didn’t go, was in London for a different reason, bumped into a lot of the squad in kings cross, made my boys day (photos in another thread).

Re the push on Bradshaw though, to be fair I think he got a cheeky shove on the defender to give himself a free header for the goal didn’t he? On another day we might get the penalty but have the goal disallowed too.

8. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for the insightful review, hope we start with Izzy and Hammill on Boxing Day.

Connor likes this.
  9. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sounds fairly similar to the Brentford game - lack of quality but lots of effort and decent at the back.
    I’d like to see Isgrove start on boxing day, plus Barnes if he’s fit enough or Hammill if not.

10. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Problem is we offer so little going forward and do so much on the back foot that defeats are inevitable.

1 goal in open play in 7 games now. 2 shots on target yesterday.

I've seen every game of this run and I'm not encouraged. I'm worried about whether it's going to end soon.

Agree that the defence, and Williams worked hard but the rest are very poor with the exception of Isgrove when he came on, and some credit for Bradshaw for scoring.