Next season

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by redrum, Feb 27, 2017.

1. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This season we have reached the 50 point mark which all but guarantees us safety. We have got to this point alot faster than some anticipated and still have a outside chance of making the play offs although I find it unlikely after losing our star man conor. I think we should still be aiming for a top 10 finish which is very possible and a credit to hecky and the players if we do.
    Onto next season it seems some have wrote us off already reading posts on here as we have cashed in on players who wanted out in january and haven't spent much in the January window when prices are much inflated. I think the summer window will be vital and we need to identify our targets now and get our bussiness done fairly early. I hope marley or josh decide to stay but Im not sure they will. Alot of people were praising how good Huddersfield were at the weekend Huddersfield last season like us this sold key players conor coady wolves, Joel lynch qpr and the goalkeeper smithies to qpr. They brought in nearly a full squad in the summer and 4 of their key players are loans the goalkeeper from Liverpool, mooy, casey palmer, izzy brown and kerchunga. Alot of hard work has taken place behind the scenes at oakwell to get us were we are in a fast rise. Keep the faith.

2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it's a big job to do that.

Listening to Wagner he said that all his summer signings were sorted out by May and he feels that was the se ret of their success having a team ready with months to work together. We may have the 10-12 signings plus loans lined up I don't know. In the past we have been slow in recruiting players but things change.

This season has been fantastic and let's just enjoy that. I'm sure Hecky will get us competitive next year as well.

Like you I doubt that Marley or Josh will be here next year and there has to be question marks over McDonald, Roberts and Yiadom given they will have 12 months left on their contracts. Again we need to act decisively if they don't want to sign back on we need to sell them as quickly as we can.

3. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    We need decisions within a couple of weeks of seasons end from those who are potentially running down contracts and waiting to see if better offers come in thru the summer. We cannot afford to get a week away from deadline only to lose our main players. We should not be held to ransom, so if they wont resign, then get them sold so that we have time to rebuild.

4. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    we also have

a some development players waiting in the wings, hopefully a few of them may shine. Sessi should be back fully fit too. I think we will need to make a few decent signings though, in the summer......and of course the loans.

5. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Keep the Faith....... I think some have never had any. Im convicted that some fans have been waiting in the wings, biting their lips through our recent period of success, chomping at the bit waiting for a blip and something, someone to blame for what really is still a good season, good financial business and players who were going to leave.

Now next season is an interesting one. When we have had slow starts in terms of ur rebuilding we have had a poor season. I can remember us still assembling the first team squad when preseason has been completed. When Hourihane came he was one of the only first team players in the squad, which included Kennedy at Stalybridge. So we need to do business in and outs early. Problem is who is concentrating on this side of the clubs activity right now. This CEO issue is dragging on now.

6. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we brought as many loans in this summer as wagner did last this board would be spitting feathers. At the moment in our team it's the loans who are under performing exept james. My biggest worry is we have no ceo at the minute if the season ends and we have no ceo that is a disaster. We are obviously looking at players as we are still been linked with a move for the highly rated chester city center back as are wolves. The summer will be interesting.

7. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The CEO needs to be in place by 1st May. Even better 1st April.

8. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is no doubt we're scouting players and lining up targets so I wouldn't need be surprised if signings started rolling as soon as the season ended. We've been linked with Mahoney from Blackburn and Hughes from Chester already. Also a lot of the signings we made last summer and in January are yet to prove their worth due to the success of the current squad. I would expect the likes of Moncur, Mowatt, Bradshaw and potentially Adam Jackson, Williams and Kpekawa to become key players. It's quite strange that given we have quite a small squad for Championship standards that there are so many players who haven't played regularly at all. Probably more a credit to fitness staff for avoiding too many key injuries and players for maintaining performance levels

9. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I said when we got promoted that I felt we'd be fine first season & would be mid table but that it was the second season that worries me & I still think the same.

I'm convinced Scowen & Watkins will leave & that leaves only Davies, Roberts, MacDonald, Yiadom, Hammill & Bradshaw as proven championship players.

I think next season will be tough & even if we get the recruitment right it'll take time to gel the new players.

All I'd say is Hecky's proven he's a capable manager, he's proven he can improve players & he's proven he can change games so just keep getting behind him & the team

10. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Isn't Williams out of contract at the end of this season?

11. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I pretty much agree with all of that but can't see all of Yiadom, McDonald and Roberts being here given they are entering the final 12 months of their contracts unless they want to sign back on I can't see us risking getting our fingers burnt a second time. I'd expect 2 of those 3 to be gone as well. It's a big job but I hAve a lot of faith that we can build a competitive squad.

12. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think you can add mowatt to proven championship although is performance Saturday suggested otherwise I'm sure he will get back up to pace having not played regular at this level for a while.

13. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think we have a option for a extra year weather we use that I'm not sure yet.

14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They got 3 loans last summer I believe which is less than us. Can't fault the rest though.

15. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Casey palmer, kerchunga, arron mooy and danny ward that's 4 and all key players I know izzy brown didn't sign until January. But can you imagine us bringing 4 loans in in early summer some on here would be going mad.

16. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes but there's an option for us to extend. And I think this one's in the club's corner anyway. If we offer him a new deal, I very much doubt he'd reject it because he's unlikely to get an offer from a higher-placed club atm

17. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same as us then Armstrong, Kent, Janko and Morsy. If we could get 4 loan signings of the quality they did plus 10-12 full time players I don't think anyone would complain.

18. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's also got Dean Whitehead who's done splendid for them and who's experience has helped others in the squad. But because of the restrictions put on Hecky with signings because football ability isn't the be all and end all compared to the age of a player, we wouldn't have gone for someone like him. We don't use the foreign market either which Huddersfield have done so well in.

Restricting ourselves to British based players in their late teens and early 20s is an hinderance.

19. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't Hecky say in the summer that it was difficult to recruit early as we didn't know what league we were going to be in. No such problems this time.