No deal won’t be allowed to happen

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by BarnsleyReds, Aug 15, 2019.

1. YTB

YTBFC Guest

What a terrific contribution you’ve made to this thread.

From suggesting others will be strung up on lampposts to a barrage of profanities. With no actual opinion in between.

Do you like gammon?

2. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    You may have, you know that’s not true to say the rest would have

3. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's not correct though....and Mark Carney has said so.
    Carney has said he was not tasked by Osborne to produced a balanced case with all the likely options... only the worst case scenario.

4. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How do you know otherwise?...as far as I am aware Farage is the only person to have said that.

5. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Which was a sensible thing to do given the stresses the financial system encountered in 2008. Obviously. it's been politicised by both sides. The BoE does it's job (and frankly, given all the chaos that's been inflicted on it by the people and politicians, it's doing an amazing job).

I'm not sure how much time Carney has left, but he's been a fabulous Governor, though obviously the media won't accept that as it goes against their current agenda.

6. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Brexit party MEP suggested 30 years for the economy to recover. Jacob Rees Mogg said 50 years.
    And that wasn’t in answer to the question of worst case scenario, that’s simply ‘no deal’.

BTW Mark Carney’s ‘Worst case’ would have been ‘no-deal’, so it’s far from irrelevant at this point in time, it’s no longer ‘worst case’ but ‘current plans’.

ScubaTyke and JamDrop like this.
  7. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    see the Rees Mogg quote

but in any case there is no doubt that had the result been 52-48 the other way Farage would have still had the funding to persue his Brexit vision either via UKIP or his new vehicle the Brexit party and would have kept on going

8. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, cos no one has been influenced by Nigel over the last 10 years, he’d have been alone with no one agreeing with him.

9. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I know from your posts on here you are cleverer than that. Please don’t lower yourself to the standards of other leave voters in this thread

10. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Your argument makes a lot of sense, but I have to disagree.
    The vote to stay or remain should have been kept as simple as yes or no, it is far too a complex question for people to fathom accurately, even now people still don’t understand what the options are and that’s largely because nothing has been agreed.

IMO opinion what should have happened is a simple in or out vote but at the outset it was made clear that if it was out, negotiations would take place with the EU and at a set point a decision in Parliament would be made.
    Unfortunately this didn’t happen because our MP’s are not strong enough in their convictions to risk being voted out a later date.

People who had been registered in a constituency in the previous 15 years were allowed to vote, which I think is more than reasonable, a registered EU residents being allowed to vote personally I don’t agree with, however given they are allowed to vote in local elections I agree they should have(they are also allowed to vote in referendums).

11. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the public would have accepted the result and Farage would have had nowhere left to go...we all knew it was a once in a lifetime vote...virtually every single politician told us that.

12. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Every prediction Mark Carney has made prior and since the vote has been incorrect

13. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well that’s far from an evidence based opinion.
    Farage is not alone and never was; his mates in the media and the ERG have been agitating for many years; and their followers managed to build a groundswell up to the leave vote succeeding.

To believe that would have simply dissipated is frankly quite preposterous.

You might ‘believe’ you’d have accepted the result; but that doesn’t even equate to a fact, let alone a reasoned assessment for millions of others.

14. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank you for the compliment...but I'm only passing an honest opinion that the rest of us would have accepted defeat.

15. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You though are basing your view on only Farage's statement that it left unfinished business...had there been an outpouring of others to quote it would have been a reasonable position.

16. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    700 000 British Citizens living in Europe were denied a vote - thats a fact as they are directly affected thats hard to justify
    Bizarely Citizens of commonwealth counties such as Australia, Canada, India, Pakistan and Nigeria had a vote
    but EU citizens - even those married to UK citizens with families here couldnt - that was a total of 3.6Million

You give me a good reason why an Indian family living in the UK had a vote in the referendum but a French woman married to a Brit and with children couldnt. Not to mention young scots who vote in scottish elections weren't allowed a vote either

17. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Because its the Governors job to be a gambling futurologist? Come on, don't fall for the far right rubbishing of experts. The BofE has had a torrid decade having to deal with the fall out of the banking crash and then as some stability came back into the system the multiple hits of populism and Brexit.

The economy has held up moderately well, but for several reasons.

First, businesses generally need clarity. But in this case, in many sectors, the uncertainty is prolonging current trading and preventing triggering Brexit contingency plans. With clients I know (and we're talking big companies with thousands of employees here) job losses of 10 to 30% are being held off despite being signed off.

Second, the pound crash. The weakening pound has allowed exports to tick over and allowed tourism to come in more cheaply. Obviously, brits travelling have the adverse issue, and that means monetary recirculation is taking place in the UK, and less is going abroad.

Third. The last hurrah. Output in some quarters has been accelerated to stock pile non perishable goods to allow the current arrangements to be utilised while we still have them.

There are more subtle factors in some sectors, but the moment we do know what the direction of travel is, we're going to see a very tough environment.

I was involved in an SME focus group last week and I can tell you the mood was somewhere between downbeat and apocalyptic. The overriding view from service based companies was they would likely make a first hard cut of employees and accept European sales would drastically fall, or even stop. 3 of the 25 businesses said it was likely they would just close the doors and retire. Only 1 of the 25 businesses was optimistic they could grow sales in the year after Brexit. All their sales are UK related with no tourist income or overseas production or supply.

Time will tell what happens. But i've yet to meet any business person who is rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of a hard Brexit. Hedgers and turnaround are positive. But that's akin to vultures watching a bus of tourists set off into death valley with little petrol or water.

18. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    After 30 years of campaigning by the Anti EU brigade, it wasn’t going to just fizzle out.

See also: the behaviour of the remain ‘camp’, Scottish independence (that’s without effort).

I thought I was of the same mindset as you; my reaction to the leave vote was ‘ok we’ve decided, so let’s do this’. Indeed I’m still frustrated by people who still ‘believe’ that it simply can’t happen.

But after 3 years of watching the mess we’re making of this, and watching the hard right shift the agenda, I now feel we need to stop politicking and start behaving like grown ups, let’s assess the facts as we know them; we’re no longer ignorant of the facts, we’re better informed to decide where we want to see the future of the UK.

19. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What worries me the most is that the government is unable to guarantee that people won't die as a result due to issues importing medicines and time-sensitive isotopes which are only feasibly available from Europe. This is due to the preparations on our side which IDS admitted yesterday were incomplete.

If a company pursued a policy against advice that it could kill people, then the board of directors would face charges of corporate manslaughter. But if the government knowingly pursues a policy that could kill people, they get to walk off to a well-paid directorship.

20. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I appreciate that’s the narrative from the Mad Brexit brigade, but I find it difficult to believe that someone has stayed in a job all these years when he can’t do that job.

So in the interest of educating us could you put some facts up to support your post?