Not an Appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Duntpasstome, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is not a wind up thread just interested in current thoughts as we are doing well.

Are we getting to the stage where we accept that the decisions made by the board were not always right but made with the right intentions? Do we now believe and agree with the spreadsheet youth policy? Do we agree that the club has agreed on a way of playing and recruiting coaches to keep playing that way is the right way to go?
    Have we now got the right people in charge of the club to take us forward?

Or are they still blood sucking parasites who are only here to bleed our club dry and that we want them out of our club asap?

Or as fans are we right just to judge on the here and now and not afford any time for plans to succeed?

2. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm a bit nervous about the ground and the court case in all honesty.
    I've never had a problem with the idea of developing youth ( much rather that than being stuck with overpaid journeymen) but as has been shown, there does need to be experience too.
    I definitely think the board has done well with its managerial appointments BUT we do seem to get through them too quickly and I worry about the supply running out.

If I win the euro millions I'd buy them out because I know I want the best for the club and the town and I'm not convinced they do. I think the fact that they're after buying so many clubs shows that we're just a punt, part of a portfolio.

Who knows? Given the crap Covid year we've had I'm just enjoying the fact that we look like we'll be in the championship for another year , playing good football.

3. Sup

Superhiggy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not many comments on this thread,oh sorry we have won 4 out of 5.

Tyke_67 and Duntpasstome like this.
  4. Duntpasstome

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I didn't think that I'd started a pointless thread and would have got a few peoples thoughts, may have got more comments if we had lost 4 out 5.

Its difficult to admit some may have been wrong or may be this is a lucky spell and they will sell Woodrow, Styles, Walton, etc for an undisclosed in January and pocket all the money.

Redhelen likes this.
  5. Duntpasstome

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    At the minute it appears the plan is coming together, we just needed a season in the championship and stay up to progress. We got a bit of luck last season but there was no lack of effort.

You would need to win the Euro billions not millions to take over a football club, it would be nice though to have someone owning the club who cared as much as us but also had the money and knowledge to make a difference.

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    They'll sell anyone for whom they receive offers. Nothing at all has changed. They'll break apart the team in January if the right money is put forward.

Django likes this.
  7. Duntpasstome

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wanted to know if that's how people still felt.
    My optimistic side is that they can now see the fruits of the plan coming together and will steadily progress the club up to a position that they can sell the club for a significant profit. If they can push the value of our club up from £20m to £100m without spending any of there own money then they deserve every penny they get and if our club ever gets to be valued at that then we will have had a good run and some success to be valued at that so win win.

Redhelen likes this.
  8. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think they are listening to the managers a little more but still have a philosophy. Signing some of Strubers choices was a start. In principle they are looking to improve year on year without breaking the bank or ffp guidelines. It’s a model that could have fell flat on its arse. But seems to be on target.

Duntpasstome likes this.
  9. Duntpasstome

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Sollbaure signing can't be understated how big an impact it has had.

10. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with Jay. Every player still has a price - whether it's to the detriment of the team if they're sold or not.

I'm glad we also seem to have started looking at the lower leagues for recruitment again - instead of whichever Austrians Struber wanted. Not because I'm a "send them forriners back" person, but because I truly believe that unless a player is absolutely outstanding at his level, then experience of English football is vital.

We still need to show more flexibility in the transfer market though. We need to filter the spreadsheet to occasionally find blokes older than 23. The presence of Sollbauer has improved our defence tenfold (and yes I'm aware of the irony of slating Struber's Austrians) - but his style of play experience has overcome the changed in football culture.

As also stated, I too am worried about court cases and ground issues - and that won't go away any time soon.

I still think Paul Conway is a bit of a nappy though.

11. Duntpasstome

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sales of Potts, Moore, Lyndsay, Pinnock, Brown were big decisions that appear to have made us secure financially and gave us a platform to develop from.

The youth policy and spread sheet appears to be working and these players are now stepping up.

The policy to stick a playing style and select managers to fit looks to have assisted Val in making a successful start at the club.

We appear to have the right people in charge and they just needed time and 3 years isn't long in football.

55&counting and Kettlewell like this.
  12. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Things are developing exactly as I expected. It was always going to be difficult for us to stay up in that first season they were here, and to be fair, their first managerial appointment didn't help with that.

I always said once all the players who were at the club before the owners had either left or been tied down to a new contract, we would start to see progress. What was vital to that progress, was staying up last season. We've for the first time ever, got a core squad of 15 or so players, who all have between 2-4 years left on their current contract. We won't see the mass turnover of players each transfer window, and we won't need another season of rebuilding. We can go from strength to strength. In theory anyway.

The recruitment strategy has developed too. Dane did elude to the budget being expanded upon retaining our championship status, and being able to bring players in from the next bracket. That's why we're seeing players come in with a few more games under their belt now. Signing 10 or so players with very little professional experience was a bit daft last summer.

I do have a few concerns. The ground ownership issue being the main one. However I think the thread of moving away from Oakwell was nothing more than that. I'm not overly concerned by the constant turnover of managers, as we seem to be doing it just as the previous one is having a huge dip in form, and we've been replacing them with one equally as good.

They've made some big errors, but I don't understand half of the criticism they receive. I suppose a lot of it is knee jerk when we lose. A mate of mine is firmly of the opinion that they're eventually going to sell all assets and then walk away with their pockets full of cash eventually, and we'll be watching AFC Barnsley at the Hyman again before we know it. So what do I know.

13. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair I thought Mowatt & Woodrow would be sold in the summer. In the end it was only Brown & we've brought in some very good players in Brittain, Helik, Kane and of course Matty James. I'm now more worried about losing Styles rather than either of Mowatt & Woodrow, as he clearly has potential to be a top flight player.

The ground issue is a worry, but there seems to still be a working relationship between James Cryne & the rest of the board & CEO, so it may just be business brassnecking for a better deal.

We've made some very good managerial signings. Unfortunately we are not going to hang on to a manager very long, as the appeal of the job is to make it a stepping stone to a big money move. Will always be the same in that respect.

14. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hasn’t it come to something when before someone posts what they think they have to say that it’s not a wind up ???

The owners are the right people.
    If only we had these owners 12 year ago.

As I’ve always thought - they have brought some very good young players in - BUT - my only complaint is that they haven’t yet built a full squad eg a holding centre forward.

As for selling players - ALL clubs are selling clubs - so of course players will be sold - but unlike some other views on this thread - players will only be sold if that is a move that will benefit the club.

budmustang likes this.
  15. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nothing has changed for me

They still refuse to reveal their intentions
    The still lied to us many times, outright and with false claims.
    They will still sell anyone for cash
    They still threaten lawsuits left right and centre
    They still refuse to explain why they didn't take up the clause to buy the ground 2 years ago and why it only became an issue a few months ago
    They still treat fans with contempt.

And the policy if youth only still doesn't work. Under immense pressure they caved and signed an experienced midfielder. The results speak for themselves. Youth without experience doesn't work.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  16. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nope.
    They told us from the first press conference what they wanted to do.
    At all subsequent media presentations they have maintained that line.
    I know people generally don’t like any sort of change - but it’s about time the NEGATIVITY towards these owners stopped.

Duntpasstome likes this.
  17. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is where I take issue. If we are to be self sustaining then why do we need billions? Billions only helps for the likes of Man city who will try to buy their way to glory.

Sestren, SuperTyke and Donny-Red like this.
  18. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would you prefer it if the chip shop up Monk Bretton owned the club then ?

19. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If they were more clued up football wise and a bit more gracious on occasions and presented the club in a positive way then yes.

20. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What were their long term intentions then? What's the end game? Is it just for fun? Do they intend to make money? If so how?
    As they explained it all fully I'll assume you can answer this questions and explain when they said it