Not sure if it's been posted but did Marc want to stay??

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Goldthorpe-Red, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  2. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  3. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  4. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Read my words. I stated that we have now built the selling players into our plan. Simply put we have to especially if people will attend less home games, buy season tickets etc which you are suggesting for yourself. I try to look forward than behind. You can learn from the past but can't change it. We have to find a way to survive at the highest level we can get to, that side of things has to be managed as a business, if its not we will fail. Whether we like it or not, since the advent of TV money, running a football club needs business acumen. Im interested to hear though what the other options are that suit our position.

5. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jesus. I don't see the downside to giving him a new contract. If he signed it we'd have more leverage in negotiating a transfer fee and if he didn't leave then we'd have a proven cb who loves the club tied down for 3 years

6. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And at the end of that contract he'd be 30 with no re sale value. Hence cash in now

7. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Forgotten or blocked them out due to severe mental trauma? Not quite as big a bunch of cnuts as the 2002 relegation side. Or maybe it's just because I was unfortunate enough to witness every home game and a shedload of away matches as well that season, whereas 2013-14 was the only season since moving abroad when I've not been to a single match.

8. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I think people are missing the politics of this transfer. If Robbo had gone to the gaffer and told him he wanted to leave the club, then he would forfeit the last 12 months of wages left on his 'Tarn deal.

Seeing as the transfer(seems-we will never know the truth) has gone through without a transfer request, he will be paid by Brum from now on, but will also be entitled to the remainder of his contract paying up by us. Thats not to say he will get every penny, as the club and his agent will come to some agreement on a settlement figure.

Him "Liking" he tweet may simply be a way to show he didn't formally request the move.

I'm not saying this IS the case, as I know he loved it here. But when players are not earning life changing sums of money like their Premier League counterparts, (for example)an extra £52k on top of his wages makes a big difference...

9. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whilst I can accept some of that. Do you think We had built it into our plan to sell/lose our better players often for a fraction of their value? Is that sustainable? Can we genuinely sell a whole first team and replace them every season. It will be pretty miraculous if we did.

Of last seasons recruits only Angus could be seen to be an unqualified success (own goals aside). This year we have not stepped up our recruitment. Last year we recruited from L1 this year its L2 and the Scottish League ( though of course that may change) nowt wrong with that in itself but you can't expect players from that background to hit the ground running. Look at Moncur he took a whole season to look good. It's unfair on the players recruited to expect immediate performance when they are taking a massive step up.

Of course there's plenty of time to recruit and we may well now look to implement phase 2 but of the plan like Southampton did.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

10. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No reason we couldn't have offered a 12 month extention. So it's 1 year left at the end of next season.

You know so we are not starting from scratch again.

But what do we know.

He'd have as much value at the end of next season and IF we didn't decide on a whole fire sale next year at least we could have looked at replacing half a team instead of everyone.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

11. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To answer, we have a policy of attracting young talent and part of the attraction is that we will be a step towards bigger and better things for them, so we know that everyone of these players we sign will, if successful, attract interest of others and also higher ambitions for the player. So to NOT have this considered in our plan would be naive at best. Secondly to secure players attracting interest of others, sometimes bigger clubs, we may have accept thinks like trigger clauses we wouldn't always like. In addition a players value is only dictated by what teams are prepared to pay. If we compare buy vs resell value we have done well. If we take Roberts aged 26 signed for BFC with bids from bigger clubs in for say £200K and sold between 3.5m - 5.5m (all depending on what you read). We then sign up 21 yr old Lindsay for say £400k and 24yr old Pinnock for say £300K thats good 'business'. Of course it only works if they perform at championship level, but the same was said of Angus, and Roberts when he signed. There is never a guarantee in performance whether they come from Liverpool or Forrest Green.

I would be interested to hear what and importantly how any other plan could work

12. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not against the plan particularly in fact I'm for it if it's purpose is to improve on pitch performances and it leads to gradual improvement and moving forwards. Initially this was the case and after a stuttering start we discussed did so. Post January we have gone backwards at a rate of knots on the pitch.

I'm not sure any team would plan on losing all its playing staff in anything other than a tragedy.

Alternatives? Burnley, Huddersfield the rest of the championship.

13. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I reckon the club will have had it in its plan. Planning for the worst but hoping for the best isn't a bad mantra for any org. Personally i thinkPlanning should cover both best and worst scenarios, after all it isn't like we haven't been talking to the manager and players for a good while. I guess it all depends on what time slot you take to measure success. If we take the past two seasons we could say we have been extremely successful, won two trophies, finished higher than many years in the championship and built funds to keep the club running and rebuild this summer thats looking at our club nots only games or players or business aspects but everything.

14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Again I accept some of that. Disaster planning is usually built into most long term initiatives. That's not what we happened though is it? We have chosen this path for better or worse.

In terms of success. It was a good year 2016. At the same time we are a'big' club in L1 with a good budget you would expect us to get promoted within a 5 year timeframe. Last season we finished lower mid table. It was OK. In the past mangers have been sacked for finishing higher in the table.

I do wonder though if Huddersfield regret not selling half their team in January...

15. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All good points, and with more funds available than us Huddersfield perhaps didn't have the demand on their players that we did or players, given their league position, may have not pushed for a move. We can find many clubs to compare to, one other is Rotherham is i can't remember selling anyone in January. We are what we are, but i have to say that right now the plan (for me) is working. Long may it continue.

Rosco and Jimmy viz like this.
  16. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    At no point do I say or even get near to saying that only season ticket holders are proper supporters.