O/T Brexit.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Donny Red, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On the one hand, you have roughly 95% of economists saying it will be damaging, and on the other hand you have the other 5%, such as Patrick Minford, who cheerfully predict that it will destroy farming and manufacturing in the UK....

pompey_red and Farnham_Red like this.
  2. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The "troubling thing" is that a secure course needs to be steered by the country, despite there being no agreement upon the direction.

3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Im not trying to prove whether Brexit is right or wrong.
    What I am trying to point out is we should listen to experts on subjects that they are really experts in and not to people who have no clue what they are talking about. And I can find many more examples - most interviews with Farage for a start

4. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    And what is a secure course? And what does a secure course need to achieve, and do and be mindful of? What does it need to avoid? What resources are need for this secure course and how long will it take? What interim steps will be required? What impact will it have in short and medium term to companies? What preparations must they take and why? What impacts will be felt in each industry and of businesses big and small? What legal ramifications will in play and what changes to our statutes will be required? And so on and so on.

All reasonable questions requiring reasonable planning and reasonable execution.

The lack of address of such scrutiny and the whim of fancy in some parts continues to be far more troubling for many.

5. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There seems to be little point in further arguing how economically damaging or otherwise Brexit may be.

That ship has sailed.

Though "experts" will no doubt continue to forecast what will happen, despite it still being a moveable feast..

Of course you have professionals with the appropriate expertise to plan and organise whatever has been strained out of the political soup, to implement whatever us and the Europeans are going to have to try and make work by virtue of whatever deal or no deal there is.

That's not what my point is.

My point is that no expert from either side of the divide can foretell what will happen at the end of the day, or a year, or 10 years from now.

Austiniho likes this.
  6. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Brexit is a program, or for the uninitiated, a series of linked projects that consist of a start "As-Is" position and an end "To-Be" position and a series of actions to take us from #1 to #2. We are over two years down the line and nobody in the country knows what the "To-Be" is. Its the equivalent of jumping in the car one morning and just setting off to see where you end up. You might find yourself in Scarborough, but more than likely you'll spend four hours stuck in roadworks before eating cold chips on a park bench in a rough part of Leeds before finding someone has stolen your car.

The client I am currently working with had a big "No Deal Brexit" planning session this week, because nobody in the business is entirely sure what it means for the business. And this is a major British financial institution.

7. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nope I'm an ugly white. My gert is black and gorgeous. Our daughter has a tan that f*ckwits like your self will consider offensive,

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  8. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You are aware that the EU and TTIP will threaten the NHS by opening it up to American healthcare firms?

This is the problem with Brexit, too many people have no ******* clue, and to be fair, it's not entirely their fault, because the subject is so huge. How can somebody make a reasonable decision when they don't know about 99% of what the EU gets up to. It basically comes down to a popularity contest, with people like Gary ******* Linekar trying to sway people, and it's impossible to have a rational conversation.

9. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    And for me this is why the people should never have been asked. To a backdrop of 40 years of right wing media and the tories infighting criticising anything to do with the EU, its little wonder the slim majority tipped to exit. And people like Arron f'ing Banks and Nigel F'ing Farage spouting lies and mistruths.

On the flipside of TTIP (which I don't agree with either), you have our now International Trade Minister and his strong links with Atlantic Bridge (as with as IDS... also Brexit leaning). And of course, very little has been reported about the ever increasing privatisations already occurring. The private companies replacing GP's and using nurses and locums instead. The privatisation of the national blood bank. A few years ago I saw a list of all the things privatised since 2010 and it shocked me. Not that they'd been privatised as such. But that they 90% of them hadn't even appeared on the radar of anything remotely mainstream media.

It's one of the reasons why I actually have a leaning to the EU. They minute things and publish all their documents. Ironic our media never publish them. You might think they had an agenda in not reporting what goes off in the EU. If only we documented everything in the UK and accurately reported it to the people to make up their own minds. Never going to happen sadly, everyone in power has a vested interest.

ScubaTyke and Farnham_Red like this.
  10. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes I was aware, are you also aware that TTIP is dead thanks to Trump - though I am sure it will be back again. I believe there is something similar in the Canada Deal - its highly unlikely that we will be able to do a deal with the US or Canada on better terms for us than the EU can achieve

Dont get me wrong - The EU is far far from perfect something that I and I suspect most who have done any serious research into it are aware of
    I could even accept a sensible plan to leave with proper analysis of the consequences and planning to get there in the most practical way
    My far bigger issue with this whole topic is the apparent rush to leave at all costs and make up the plan as we go along in the way that works best for rich Tories

11. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You, or course, are aware that our own government (at least the Tory one since 2010) was one of the biggest supporters and pushers of TTIP within the EU. It is also rumoured to be the same path as they are wanting with a UK-USA trade deal, opening up the NHS to American "improvements".

Farnham_Red likes this.