O/T Motorway Awareness / Speed Awareness Courses

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Willtom, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Red

Redblueunwhite Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I went on one at Wakefield and the bloke in charge was from Barnsley and a PROPER character ,i was on Wembley way having a drink before the Johnstone paint final and i could hear him you couldn't mistake his voice. I went to talk to him and it was him. Enjoyed that course and it certainly opens your eyes to driving .

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, been on one in Lundwood. It was crap but better than the alternative I suppose.

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I did learn quite a bit though, it was boring but quite informative.

4. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got mine the week after next at the Cedar Court in Wakefield. Not holding out much expectation that it will be fun.

5. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I kind of want to do one just for the learning but I’m not going to speed to get on one and I don’t want to voluntarily ask to go as I’d die of embarrassment that people would think I’d been speeding. I know everyone there would have anyway but I’m far too good to break rules. I know it’s weird but I have a huge thing about rules, not sure why.

Old Goat likes this.
  6. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ****. I’ve opened The Sun!

7. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The data is processed manually? I always assumed it was all computerised. Camera flashes, computer identifies reg of car and sends out a letter to registered keeper.

8. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Depends upon the age of the camera ST. Highways England and Highways Authorities favour the
    Gatso make of camera. You are right, the newer ones are fully digital, but the older ones still use film
    which has to be interrogated by a human being. Some of the kit the Lighting Engineers are using is
    past it's sell by date and unfortunately, they don't have the budget to upgrade a lot of their equipment.

SuperTyke likes this.
  9. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Never read the sun pal due to my dad being a printer so it must have been a good guess. Do you hand on heart think that 3 different speed limits within 1 mile of the m1 with no change in circumstances is aimed at safety?

10. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's not that hard to spot when the speed limits change... unless you have your head down texting. ;)

11. Til

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with you. Texting and driving is Satan’s invention as it distracts you from the job in hand. Lack of concentration is to blame for the vast majority of accidents along with excess speeding and reckless driving. To consider 3 different speed limits of the same motorway in the same circumstances is just fishing for brass choose how you dress it up.

12. shenk1

shenk1 Well-Known Member

Urine Extraction Technician
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got a ticket through the post before Christmas for parking in a controlled zone outside a school. It had obviously been given by one of these Van's that have ANPR as there were 3 photos as evidence. On the letter provided these photos were one inch thumbnails and to see the full size you had to go into the appeals process online which I did.

Once I had seen the full size pics (still cr@p quality) I lodged my appeal on 3 grounds...

1 It was not my number plate...it had been read wrongly as there was a bit of corrosion running down the plate...the letter it had read wrong is a K on mine and a L on the picture.

2 Mine is a Golf, the car in the pic was a Skoda Fabia...easily checked online.

3 I have never been to Cardiff..yes despite living in Barnsley it was at 9 am in Cardiff when I was supposed to be parked up.

It was obvious that it was either issued automatically or the person issuing was blind .

The appeal was successful ;):):)

lk311 likes this.
  13. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    The real problem with the automatic systems is if someone is on false plates. I guy I worked with was clocked on his motorbike with an old fashioned police sped trap a few years ago and then failed to stop. It actually was someone who had an identical bike and had faked the plates. He was having some trouble despite the fact that the offence took place in Norwich at a time he was sitting at his desk in the same room as me. Fortunately before things went too far the offender did it again but this time was caught. It does make me wonder if there are many others on false plates.

14. shenk1

shenk1 Well-Known Member

Urine Extraction Technician
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    First thing we thought when it was from Cardiff...cloned. Fortunately could tell from the thumbnail pics it was a different car.

My biggest gripe is if they are present while the offence is taking place then they should give the ticket then and explain the error of your ways....if speeding you may have caused an accident before you receive your ticket.

15. Wil

Willtom Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gatso cameras are finished.....no-one makes the film anymore and all those are being replaced with digital ones and will be up and running soon.

Be careful out there folks.

P.S. tilertoes still thinks its a cash cow. We've told him why it isnt and still doesnt get it. Never mind....common sense is not a flower that grows in every garden!

16. Til

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You’re right pal, I do

17. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Not sure if its a cash cow - lots of good reasons for putting speed cameras in places where speeding can be a problem but I share his gripe with smart motorways. I think used properly the cameras and limits would be fine but they arent at times they are downright dangerous
    I do a lot of motorway driving and at least half the time they stick a limit on for no good reason so you get 1 or 2 cameras at 50 with light traffic then clear again - why
    Sometimes they dont set the limit back - so you get several signs at 40 then nothing - no all clear just no more repeaters - thats just confusing when can you speed up again also slowing down to 40 on a clear motorway with no sign of any incident is dangerous - I have been quite scared on occasion when slowing down to 40 and had lorries almost run into the back of me at full tilt
    More than once I have seen 20MPH limits on the M25 when the exit slip has been closed - you try slowing to 20 in light traffic on a motorway in the dark and tell me how safe it feels

DSLRed and SuperTyke like this.
  18. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Now this is a very different point, the speed limits on motorways and the way they change are a joke. So are the stretches of Motorway with no hard shoulder and a limit of 70 still in place.

19. tingleytyke

tingleytyke Well-Known Member

Used to be Shift Engineer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How does attending this course affect insurance. If the risk of you speeding is now reduced does the insurance policy reflect this by a lower premium?

20. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    No but by avoiding points you dodge a increase in premium