O/T Westminster Council.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Donny Red, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Westminster City Councillors have rejected two proposals to erect a statue to Margaret Thatcher
    in Parliament Square. Supporters of the late Tory PM , wanted to erect a Bronze likeness measuring
    one and a half times likeness dressed in State robes looking towards Parliament.
    Council representatives said that because her Premiership had been so divisive, they rejected the
    proposal over fears that the statue would be vandalised. They took account of the fact, that a White
    Marble statue of her in the Guldhall Library was decapitated by a 37 year old Theatrical producer using a
    metal pole in 2002. The organisers of the " Thatcher Appreciation Society" went back with an alternative
    saying that the statue could be mounted on a 4 metre high plinth and would include sockets to accommodate
    scaffolding poles in order that protective hoardings could be put round it when there were any "
    Trade Union type " protests in the capital. The second proposal was also rejected.
    There was a discussion on Radio 2 the other day, which outlined the rather tense relationship Thatcher had
    with the Queen during their weekly briefings. An account written by Princess Margaret revealed that the only
    time she ever saw her Sister Elizabeth burst in to tears was after a particular acrimonious audience with
    Mrs Thatcher, who the Queen was known to refer to as " that woman."!
    The Queens Constitutional role does not permit her to become involved in politics per se, but she is able to
    "warn" someone when she's not pleased. Princess Margaret confided that in 1984, the Queen was extremely unhappy with the way that Thatcher and her Government were at a complete impasse with the members of the NUM and urged Thatcher to show more compassion towards Miners wives and dependants who had got caught up in the hardship suffered during the strike. A member of the Domestic staff at 10 Downing Street confided that on her return from the meetings at Buckingham Palace, the Queen had given her such a hard time, that Mrs Thatcher needed a glass of Malt whisky before she was able to fully compose herself. Having seen the damage the Strike caused in the Yorkshire Coalfield first hand, personally I agree that a statue to someone who truly divided the Country in such a prominent place is inappropriate at this time.
    Be interested to hear "others" views on the matter.

BobT and RedKestrel like this.
  2. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It would be destroyed sooner or later.

3. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s not just that but she was an ugly lovely person

4. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. Regardless of the rights or wrongs of there being a statue, surely it must be obvious that it wouĺd be a complete waste of money to make one. Because she was so hated by some, its destruction would be all but guaranteed. Just a question of when, not if. Someone would make it their life mission

BobT likes this.
  5. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apparently the group of admirers were willing to meet the cost themselves. Various estimates had
    been obtained, the one accepted if planning permission had been granted, would have cost circa
    £300k. Mark and Carol Thatcher were apparently consulted around its design. Carol didn't apparently
    like the State robes idea, she preferred a less formal look and said that the " trademark" handbag was a must.
    Looking back at her legacy it could be argued that she did introduce some positive measures, however she will
    always be reviled in certain parts of our society. She systematically set about destroying the Trade Unions, she
    introduced one of the most controversial taxes ever, re- Poll tax which eventually exacerbated her fall from grace,
    she alienated members of her own Party and more importantly her Ministers and she appeared to relish making life
    difficult for the less fortunate in our Society. I agree, were a statue to be erected in her memory , irrespective of who
    had footed the bill, it would be subjected to vandalism or total destruction and therefore it's best not to proceed with
    the idea in the first place.

6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. There are some valid arguments for why there should be a statue of her, not least her being the first female PM, but the destruction of it is almost guaranteed because she was so devisive.

BobT, Farnham_Red and Donny Red like this.
  7. leebrilleaux

leebrilleaux Well-Known Member

Student, yes a Student even at my age!
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Surmising in my best George Spicer mode - I suspect there would be a queue of quite inordinate length clamouring to be the first to raze the said statue to the ground - of that I have not the slightest doubt

8. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This group of ‘Thatcher admirers’ should be made to tour the former coalfields, Steelworks and their communities and see and hear first hand why she is such an hated figure.

Donny Red likes this.
  9. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry but couldn’t disagree more, Their’s no validity at all to a Thatcher statue choose who foots the bill. All the aforementioned factors far outweigh/override her being the first female PM. Indeed, many ‘feminists’ or people rightly championing female equality then and today believe she did not do the ‘cause’ any favours at all. Oh, And the aftermath/reflections of the Falklands conflict don’t hold her in a good light either.

BobT likes this.
  10. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There might actually be some merit having one though especially in a prominent place, preferably on the main route back from the pubs.It could become a ritual for folk to chuck something at it as they walk past and handy if they get caught short on the way home!

Tarntyke likes this.
  11. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This underlines my reason perfectly. As I said she is very devisive which makes objectivity in any debate about her nigh on impossible. I'm not saying I disagree with you, I know a lot of people who for very good reasons share your opinion entirely but I also know people who couldn't disagree with you more and for reasons that are valid to them.

12. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Shi worra goddamn cancer, the bitch.

upthecolliers likes this.
  13. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes I get that, hence let’s start with having these ‘admirers’ see and hear first hand about the lives and communities she destroyed: Anyway are statues for prominent people an Outdated thing now? Even if Corbyn came in tomorrow and righted every wrong and made us a more equal society I would not want a statue of him.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  14. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Roten to the core that woman, you know stopping little kids in school having a drink of milk, that's all i'll say.

15. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wouldn't argue against her admirers visiting the communities where her policies had a significantly negative impact although I suspect there may be a few who hated her but helped return her to power in '83.

16. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No doubt about that, The Falklands conflict ‘Victory’ played a significant part in that vast majority of ‘83. If only ordinary folk voted for their ‘like’ There’s no way any Party would get to do anything else other than what’s best for the country instead of their own political ideology.

17. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m happy to a statue. Let’s have it at Cortonwood it’ll get the respect it deserves.

18. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally agree or maybe Goldthorpe where the locals would pay homage in a special way !

19. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Her greatest sin/achievement, surely, was to free Nudger from drudger y and set him on course for the great success he enjoys now.

20. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018