O/t why you vote for a party

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by lk311, Nov 22, 2019.

1. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you vote for a Party because of the Leader or the local MP?

Something me and m8 disagree on, I vote for local, him for Leader.

No right or wrong IMO just interested in others views

2. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I weigh up whether I hate the Muslims or the Jews or the Europeans the most then just vote along party lines.

TitusMagee, wombwell-red and Fonzie like this.
  3. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I vote for whoever I think will make the country a fairer and better place to live. A lot of others seemingly just vote for whoever the paper they read tells them to.

Wombweller, anstonred, Connor and 3 others like this.
  4. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Usually party at general elections , personality at local.
    This year wouldn’t trust any of them as far as I could throw them, either for leaders or policies.That includes the minor parties who mean well but I all likelihood couldn’t run the local shop.

cudeth red, Tilertoes and Austiniho like this.
  5. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it a point of semantics; if a local candidate was a personal friend but was a member of a party who’s views were the opposite of yours, clearly the party would overrule.

I’m lucky, my MP is a great bloke, he’s a member of a party I feel closest to, though I don’t really support the current leader of that party.

so I suppose that looks like ‘candidate first’ but in reality, if my candidate was less good, but the party still stood for what I believed in, I’d still vote for them; so that’s ‘party first’.

Too many people think it’s about the leader of the party, despite the numerous occasions that we’ve had a new PM mid term. I’ll go as far as to say I’d be surprised if it doesn’t happen again during the next parliament. But that’s not going to stop some not voting Labour because of JC; there’s nowt so queer as folk

Jamo and Dodgy Back Tyke like this.
  6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Personally I vote on policies. I listen to what parties have to say (all of them), read manifestos and watch the debates. I listen to the views of others on radio staions such as LBC where every political view is represented and I make my mind up.

Hardly anyone reads newspapers anymore so I am sceptical about how much influence they have politically - I'd argue that social media such as Twitter is far more influential than the written press these days.

The most worrying voting pattern in my opinion are those who vote for a party just because their Dad, Granddad and Great Grandded voted for them. They have no idea what the policies of any party are; they just hear a very narrow view of politics and shut their minds off to anything else. Living in an echo chamber makes you unfit to vote in my opinion but there are many that do on both sides of the political spectrum.

clunk, BostonRed and Jamo like this.
  7. On yer tyke

On yer tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I vote the party. I don't like my current MP and wouldn't like to have a drink with him. However, I firmly believe in the manifesto and the party so he will get my vote. Suppose its a personal choice but I don't understand why people vote on personalities of the leaders during general elections.

8. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Generally I look at who is most likely to beat the Tory in my constituency and vote for them regardless.

Farnham_Red and Marlon like this.
  9. Red

Reds Fan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Neither. Policies for me. Not into tactical voting either. Just vote for who you want.

10. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Well I vote on policies and track records of party’s that treat all people with respect .
    The party I vote don’t always get it right and many times I’ve disagreed .
    I’ve not agreed on the leader or certain policies but overall they’re far in front of the opposition .
    But anyone who votes for or against leaders even though they agree with policies are doing themselves no favours .
    Leaders who have left the party after being voted .
    Tony Blair,
    David Cameron,
    Theresa May.

11. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I can't see how it is possible to vote simply on policies.

You have to also look at the crop of crap at the head of each political party, and wonder whether the policy (often simply a sop or bribe anyway) ever stands a chance of working or even being implemented.

With a few honourable exceptions, neither the political party nor the personnel within them supply the honesty or trust that makes them worthy of securing my vote.

I do however have a democratic duty.....

12. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All depends on the drink and music being offered

13. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unless it happened to be UKIP/Brexit headbangers (most unlikely of course).

14. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I look at all their proposals and try and work out who's telling the most lies. I then realise they're all as bad and don't bother going.

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wish I could just pass your comments off as glib but I can't because you're right and that underlines the woeful state of the main parties in this country. Unfortunately there isn't much more to base a decision on but because the main parties are equally as bad it doesnt really give either an advantage or a disadvantage. As I say I do read the manifestos (the summary at least) but I also listen to MPs when they are interviewed on the radio / TV - it is quite revealing when they fall apart under the forensic interviewing from the likes of Andrew Neil.

Things could be so much better but I won't hold my breath wating for things to change so all I can do is try to filter the bulls*** from the reality and take it from there. The alternative is apathy which is more damaging in my opinion and although close I haven't reached that point just yet.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  16. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I vote for the party based in their policies, the leader or the local representative are usually immaterial. However, in this particular election, both the leaders of Labour and Conservative prevent me from voting for either. In my constituency I’m left with Green and Lib Dem. As a member of the Green Party, I’m obviously leaning to them, however our crap voting system is making me think about Lib Dem in an attempt to keep the other lot out.

ScubaTyke and Farnham_Red like this.
  17. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    In a general election I previously voted for the party I think is the best for the country based on a combination of their stated manifesto and my trust in the leadership
    In December I will be changing that and voting for the party that has the best chance of stopping Jeremy Hunt being re-elected in my constituency
    It happens to be in this case the Lib Dems but were I in a constituency where I thought Labour or the Greens had the best chance of stopping the Tory candidate I would vote for them