Off topic - any builders on here?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Sestren, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or anybody in the building trade, really. I'm looking for extremely rough figures for a large-scale renovation. We're talking a triple (or quadruple)-fronted shop premises, two storeys, in a currently dilapidated condition and turned into a single commercial space, plus perhaps something different upstairs. I suspect the fabric of the building is sound, but everything inside would need ripping out and redoing from the ground up. It was in use maybe five years ago, but has lain empty since then.

I know that this isn't a huge amount of information, but I'm in the very early stages of planning here and just having a look at what might be possible. I have no experience in things that are this big but to give you an example of what I want, I'm ideally looking for something rounded to the closest £100k, or maybe a rough price per square metre for a project like this, if standard figures exist...

If anybody can give me a general idea then great - if not then no worries. I'm not using the BBS as my primary source! Just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone can help.

2. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If I were you SES I would write a detailed Spec for the job and try and break it down to plumbing, electrical, glazing,
    building etc. I would then go on www.ratedpeople.com and put a guesstimate against each segment and advertise.
    When you get your responses invite each respondent to visit the job and give you a price for supply and fix and
    ask if they will quote you for fix only.

Local Builders Merchants publish trade price lists. Contact three of them e.g. BMB Buildbase on Wakefield Road,
    Howarth Timber on Stocks Lane, Jewson etc. Once you've got your quotes deduct the cost of fix only from the supply and fix ones and ask the Builders Merchant what discount they would give off their trade list.

Compare that to the prices you've been given by your tradesman and make your decision from there.
    If you're fitting plastic windows and new doors you want to consider Veka Ltd. They manufacture their products in
    Burnley and use approved local fitters who give a 20 year no quibble guarantee.
    I used Dewsbury Glass for my recent re-furb. Owners name is Martin. Contact No 07887 528064.
    Absolutely brilliant Company.

My mate was building his own house and he put his own spec together. He reckons he saved around
    £8k over the lowest price he got from Builders doing it how I've described.
    A lot of Builders who take on an entire job and have other jobs running simultaneously can be erratic.
    Using individual tradesmen usually avoids that problem.

Sestren likes this.
  3. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm a Building Surveyor who has done budget cost plans previously along with detailed design layouts, planning and building regulations applications for various clients / numerous work streams. If you could PM me a few more details such as overall square metreage per floor for all units, what services are in there, existing construction (i.e is it framed or masonry) also if you have floor plan layout drawings then should able to help (appreciate you may not have all this info).
    Also assuming from what you've said above all the units are currently divided?

Sestren likes this.
  4. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some good advice already but if you work on £500 per m2 mdy be a sensible figure as a very rough guide.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Metatarsal and Sestren like this.
  5. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers - I don't have that information but can probably work some of it out - will drop you a message tomorrow.

6. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Soon to be qualified architect here if you have any questions.

Duntpasstome likes this.