Off topic Barnsley Canister Company

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Carlycu5tard, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've just heard on Dee Dah that we're going to get another piece of artwork in the town centre dedicated to the Barnsley Tin Can company.

Bravo to culture and all that, but I wondered whether anyone could conrfirm or otherwise the fable of their demise.

The tale I was told by a man who claimed his wife was the uk agent for a german company who basically stole all their business in one fell swoop?

How did they acheive this feat - the tale goes that BCC got and accepted an order for a well konwn high street retailers Christmas biscuit tin.

When these tins were due for delivery the buyer from said retailer phoned up and asked where they were - only to be told they would be delivered in January.

The tale then goes on about how uncompromising both the management and workers of BCC were - refusing overtime blah blah blah - at which point this chaps wife steps in - takes the order to Germany - delivers in November and BCC are left with a massive pile of tartan tin useless to anyone but the scrap man and they have to close.

Whilst I completely understand his side of the tale will be one sided and tainted - I'd love to hear the story from anyone in the know who worked there and whether this was a monumental balls up or complete BS or maybe just the straw that broke the camels back..

2. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I went in as part of team to help the workforce find jobs but don't recall the reasons for closure ever being discussed by them.