[Official Site] PREVIEW: Blackpool Vs Barnsley

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Newsbot, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Newsbot

Newsbot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    PREVIEW: Blackpool Vs Barnsley
    Match Previews

Barnsley will be aiming to continue their scintillating early season form when they travel to Blackpool in the Carabao Cup first round on Tuesday evening.

Continue reading on the official site...

2. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    "a routine 2-0 win over Bradford...."
    Chuff me, I wish we wouldn't say stupid things !

3. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I watched the game on iplayer the other day. Routine doesn't do it justice. We completely dominated the game and for the last half hour ran rings round them. Doesn't mean we're going to do it tonight or in any other game for the rest of the season but let's not short change the performance at Bradford.

4. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I'd have gone with "A impressive 2 -0 win....."

5. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suppose routine might cover it. Short for "never in any danger of losing it" and "played much better than the home side".

6. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I watched it too (and by the way, I think its fantastic that within a day or so, you can watch the full game back and all the highlights interviews etc, with full commentary and stats if you want them) for just £4 odd a month.

But we just bossed it. In a short amount of time, you can't underestimate the effect this coaching unit have had. Foreign coaches, one who cant speak great English yet, never coached outside Germany before.... taking a relegated team low on confidence without much fight, seemingly who didn't care, flying out of the traps, confidently passing the ball, pressing hard and showing glimpses of quality.

Whats more, they've played just two games together. Give this team 20-30 games and if they are still in the top 6 then, I think they could seriously hammer a few teams. And I think Dougall might be the most technically impressive midfielder since Butterfield. If only we'd snaffled him last summer.

Tykeored likes this.
  7. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You could even say that we have TWO Butterfields in the side now - Dougall and Mowatt ver 2.0

8. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Mowatt is definitely a different player compared to the shadow we briefly saw in early 2017. I think Dougall is frighteningly good though. I've not seen us have a player that could just turn or use his body to win the ball without even tackling, I'm going to love seeing that time and again. Shame we've messed so far decent players about. Shows the impact a good coach can have on players. Granted its a league lower, but to pick up from the shambles of last season wasn't easy. Long way to go, but 2 fantastic games so far.

9. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree - a bit condescending that.
    We should be a bit more humble in my opinion.. It was a great win or even a magnificent win but never routine.
    It's as though we should be winning every game in this division which we definitely won't. Even when we were crap last season and ended up relegated, I don't think I ever read that a team had a routine win over Barnsley.
    Hope we don't suddenly get all Wednesday just because we've gone down a league.

10. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. I'd expect to see the word routine used in a match report along the lines of a goalkeeper making a 'routine save', i.e. something he would do every day in training and is the norm. Winning a second game two games into a season isn't 'routine' as the key to the word is 'regular' and I wouldn't class two games into a 46 game season as that. Whoever writes the content for the website often makes strange word choices though so I don't think it was intended to be condescending, just a poor choice. The video content coming out of the club is fantastic but the written content is substandard.

Simon De Montforte likes this.
  11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think the word 'routine' undervalues our performance too. As though we were strolling about the pitch and it was easy. It wasn't easy, we were playing tough opposition. We were dominant, but that doesn't mean it was easy. We just made it look easy by the effort we put in. We gave everything we'd got to assert our dominance and that's been the most pleasing aspect of the performances. The two victories so far have been earned, by hard work and determination from the first minute to the last. Every Barnsley player has given 100%, every Barnsley player has shown desire and passion and a will to win, every Barnsley player has been thoroughly professional. There's been nothing routine about our performances, they've been exceptional. We've given our all to ensure victory. You can't ask for more and it's anything but routine.