[Official Site] WELCOME TO GROVE STREET

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Newsbot, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Burgundy Red

Burgundy Red Well-Known Member

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    And what about those of us who've named our companies after Oakwell? It's going to cost me a fortune to rebrand as Grove Street Solutions Limited. Who's going to pay for that? Eh?

Dalestykes likes this.
  2. ade

ade Well-Known Member

IT manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't see what the fuss is about. It's still Oakwell, but it's always been on Grove St. Don't have a problem with it. The Boleyn ground was on White Hart Lane, did West Ham fans mind which was used?

3. Burgundy Red

Burgundy Red Well-Known Member

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm pretty sure West Ham fans didn't like their ground being called White Hart Lane.

TonyTyke, leeupo, Redhelen and 2 others like this.
  4. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When and if Menai ,when and if.

Redblueunwhite likes this.
  5. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Have a word with yourselves.

Clearly the increase in calling it 'Grove Street' was promo for the new programme. It makes sense.

No conspiracy theories

Shy Talk likes this.
  6. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    West Ham United fans ask them where they play and they will have said Boleyn Ground not Upton Park.

7. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I don’t think the board are fleecing money out of the club or selling players to line their coffers but there’s plenty on here does but that’s just one of many conspiracies that’s being discussed .
    Neither you nor I know why the sudden shift from Oakwell to grove Street and untill it’s clear I as a supporter would like to know .
    The programme name is immaterial it’s been changed as said loads of time’s without a murmur and changing the stadium name .
    People are not clamouring with their pitch forks they are just curious and others just dismissing their inquisitiveness are doing so on their own opinions and not facts .

8. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    But the increase in calling it Grove Street was clearly building up to the programme name. Has it worked? Maybe not, but that's the obvious reason.

9. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d agree with your sentiment, indeed I asked a similar question, but.....it’s not fair to hold YT to a higher standard than the rest of us on this site because “he’s a Club employee.”

If all of his posts start to look as if they have originated from Conway, then fair enough. But they clearly don’t. It seems to me he engages on this site because he’s primarily a fan. That’s good for the rest of us because he can give us an insight that we don’t have. But, if we don’t cut him any slack and view all his comments as official club views, then he’s going to be forced to stop posting and that doesn’t do anyone any good.

Redhelen, Gally, pompey_red and 3 others like this.
  10. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Maybe you are right and it’s probably not that important but the way football owners are treating other clubs gives food for thought .
    In today’s climate I think fans have a right to be suspicious of changes or rumours etc we are constantly kept in the dark over massive changes to clubs , grounds , takeovers .
    It’s our club and to protect it we may have to read between the lines at time’s and sometimes it involves putting two and two together and getting five untill we officially know and even then we can still be mushrooms till it’s too late .
    I’m not saying that’s what’s happening here by any means but from small acorns etc .

11. YTB

YTBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Barnsley Football Club plays its home matches on/at Oakwell, and has done since the 19th century. The original playing field wasn't the one on which we play today, but a field to the rear of what is now the East Stand car park. But the area was called Oakwell regardless. The stadium address is on Grove Street. The West Stand for example (the oldest we have) runs across Grove Street. There have been countless references to Grove Street over the club's 133-year history. Funnily enough, today is probably Barnsley Football Club's birthday, for it was on September 6th 1887 that its first officials were appointed in an inaugural meeting regards forming a football club. I have a photocopy in our office of a match programme from the 1890's (which is basically just a card) that states 'BARNSLEY ST. PETER'S - OAKWELL GROUND - GROVE ST.'

I am a BFC enthusiast and love the entire history of it, good and bad. I've soaked up more knowledge over 38 years than I care to remember. So I'm one of the last people who would shît on said history. I helped launch the Oakwell Hall Of Fame which has honoured the likes of Tiverton Preedy, Norman Rimmington, Patrick Cryne, John Dennis and Danny Wilson. We arranged a mosaic in the Ponty End three years ago, celebrating our 130th anniversary, invited 30 legends to a game to celebrate etc. We've had Ben Mosley paint a mural across the Ponty End concourse two years ago, which celebrates our complete history up to that point, a historical timeline. A year or so ago, more historical artwork was commissioned in the East Stand concourse. Three years ago, the Norman Rimmington suite was built in the East Stand. This has all happened in four years. I've been here four years. Where were all the nods to our proud history before that?

I'm massively proud of our club and its history and will always champion it until the day I pop my clogs.

In my complete time here so far, covering 211 first team games (yes, I count them), plenty of under-age fixtures and a mountain of impactful events, I have referred to Grove Street a hell of a lot. Online and in physical formats. That was something I did to help describe the club in lengthy pieces. As I've explained previously (which some may not have seen) it merely helps when writing to have different ways of referring to the same thing. So instead of doing a preview of a game and incessantly using Oakwell or Barnsley, I'd drop the occasional Grove Street into the copy. So for example:
    "The Reds (one reference) are set to welcome Real Madrid to Oakwell (two) this Saturday in UEFA Champions League action. This will be Barnsley's (three) biggest fixture on Grove Street (four) in years..."
    Never have I ever written anything like this: "We face Real Madrid at Grove Street." Nor have I ever said such as this: "Grove Street holds 23,487 supporters."

So I'm satisfied with how we've used the term. As are others. But clearly, some people aren't. And that's a shame, based on the context of its use.

We definitely increased usage of Grove Street this summer, because we decided to alter the name and look of our match programme.

There is nothing else beyond that. We just feel it's a decent name for what is a 64-page magazine about Barnsley Football Club which is sold around Oakwell, and therefore on/off Grove Street. Some clubs aren't even bothering with programmes anymore. And I understand why as the sales across the EFL have been declining over the years since the rise of online media, plus the COVID issue where you have no walk-up supporters to grab a copy etc. We've decided to press ahead with them as we feel it's part of what is great about football. Again, it's a piece of history. But yes, if sales don't go well, programmes will be consigned to history.
    So we've freshened it up with more revealing and extensive content/features, better photography, and a new moniker.

We are not refusing to say the words Barnsley or Oakwell. The programme was previously named BE RED, owing to the club marketing strategy around that time of its inception under (I believe) Ben Mansford where everything was BE this and BE that. We just felt it was the ideal time to change the name/look. There's no price increase (unlike other clubs). And we hope fans continue to pick up or order a copy, or, if they've not before, we hope they at least give this rebranded effort a chance.

There are no dark motives here, and I would hope that whilst yes, across the roughly 20 years of me posting on this forum I have no doubt come over as sarcastic, stupid, argumentative or whatever... I haven't proven to be a liar, or deceitful. So I will end by apologising if I've upset anyone, without intent, and want to assure folk with worries, that there is nowt to worry about.

Have a great Sunday, and up the Reds!

12. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Could be, 18 yrs darn pit, mainly Donny area though, worked at Premdor, Monkton coking plant, Been a welder, electricians mate, Baker,Counterbalance/FLT driver.

13. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    if you don't like it then don't buy the programme. Simple.

14. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Session at Gym, build up a thirst & booked mi sen in forra gallon of Westons :eek:

15. YTB

YTBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, we'd like you to buy the programme regardless, as it's the content that is key at the end of the day.

You'll only ever read an interview like the one we've done with Gerhard Struber, in this programme. That's the point of it moving forward. It's not some boring piece after a game, or standard journalistic fare. It's a fascinating read, as are the other interviews. I'd hope folk at least order the first one, then bin it off if it's not their cup of tea.

SuperTyke likes this.
  16. YTB

YTBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sounds like a decent enough plan to me buddy.

thetykester likes this.
  17. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Cheers for that YT and I’m satisfied and more importantly feel better and more informed .
    I think the thread went a little shall we say defensively and heated with posters trying to belittle and dismiss other posters who had genuine concerns tbh and act the better fan .
    As we all have BFC at heart and some are more concerned than others on one subject but not another and so on , we are all united into the well being and future of our great club .
    It’s a reflection of our times and the happenings at other clubs that naturally imo sparks fears of our own fans . and imo it’s better in a orderly manner and on forums specifically for fans to air their views and concerns .
    Cheers for the info and going in depth to explain it’s appreciated .

Dalestykes and Shy Talk like this.
  18. YTB

YTBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No problem at all, Marlon. I used my head eventually last night and logged off, because JamDrop is right (sort of). I should know better than digging fans out. I am one.

19. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    at £69.99 for 23 issues it's good value and p&p is included. (not sure where the 99p goes tho' - Whitey's commission?)

20. YTB

YTBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sadly not!

They're all full programmes too. Not slimmed down. And like I say, less 'fluff' and more extensive features with a different tone.