[Official Site] Winkler: "We need to be more ruthless in front of goal."

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Newsbot, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Two things:
    So you believe players careers are set back a year if they sign for Barnsley?

Secondly - I know I keep repeating this - like I have to repeat other things when it won’t go in ....... ‘if at all possible’.
    Which means of course that he agreed to stay and money could be found to sign him and pay his wages.

Who knows - efforts might have been made to keep him here ???
    I do believe with the squad we have - adding him to the squad would guarantee promotion.

2. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But it’s not possible, on a multitude of different levels, why won’t that go in, yer barmy get???

3. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Joint 2nd top scorers in the football league and we've missed shitloads of chances, shows how good we are going forward and some teams are going to get properly hammered this season if we keep this up.

4. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    The only question to be answered is this. Why would a proven championship striker, who scored goals in a dreadful relegated team, drop down a division to League 1?

I can only think of two valid reasons. One, if the offer was so extreme that he'd put money before career (and the owners have indicated at this time they are following the trodden path of self sufficiency). Two, location of the club was ideal for his personal circumstances and that was the most important factor.

If however, the player was motivated, eager to play as high a level as possible and be rewarded accordingly, there is only one choice that can reasonably be made. A team in the Championship with parachute payments, rather than a team in league one under SCMP.

5. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why not Messi then ? I'm sure signing him would guarantee promotion

6. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because Messi hasn’t just finished playing for us and has just said this .....
    “I’ll always keep an eye on their results, I can’t speak highly enough of the staff, players and fans at Barnsley”

Plus the money of course.

7. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Shenk1 has provided the information that shows SCMP isn’t a stumbling block.

I’m disappointed in the response to this thread - clearly there’s still a lot of negativity towards the club from supporters.
    There is still the little old me, never had owt never want owt mentality still prevalent within the support.

Personally I think the club is going places with these new owners - and any player worth his salt will have recognised that.

8. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    well when we're back in the Premiership, as he will be next season, maybe we can put a bid in.

9. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    There are ways around SCMP if wealthy owners want to gift sizeable chunks of money and prove its not equity. The new owners have stated they don't intend to fund the club and instead make it self sufficient. Because of this, we are bound by the revenue we generate.

If you're Oli McBurnie which of these would you rather choose? A) Relegated premier league side with parachute payments and to be a regular starter. B) relegated championship side, bound by SCMP as owners don't wish (thankfully) to scale massive losses on revenue expenditure, i.e. wages.

In A, you have a chance of being promoted to the premiership. B, you have a chance of being promoted to where you were.

No negativity at all about that. Just blatant common sense.

I'm more and more impressed with the owners and running, sensible but progressive and that's wise. Once we get back to the Championship (however long that takes) we'll really see more of their plans. But I still expect it to be based on revenue. Derived from player sales and increased revenue from other sources. Anyone who expects them to throw money at it and indebt the club, tree, wrong, barking.