One day in may

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by BarnsleyBomber, Jan 15, 2019.

1. BarnsleyBomber

BarnsleyBomber Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just watching bt sport film about the fire at valley parade. Remember it well and i have to admit ive had a few tears. So sad. So many died. So many brave heroes who risked life to save others. Watching terry yorath cry on film makes u very emotional. 4 minutes from wat looks like a small fire to the whole stand a shell. Wow.

2. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember seeing that on the news. For some reason it impacted me more than Hillsborough. A terrible tragedy .

3. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember it only too well. The Country Band I managed at the time were on the bill
    at a weekend holiday camp Country Festival in Wales and I'd travelled over on the Friday
    to take in their performance. I had a few drinks with the lads so booked a room overnight and travelled
    back to Doncaster on the Saturday the 11th May. I had just got on the M18 south of Sheffield when
    I put the radio on to listen to the football commentaries and they were reporting the events at Valley
    Parade. I turned off in Rotherham and managed to get a coffee in Morrisons . Remember as a football
    fan I felt really sorry for all those poor folk who went to support their team and never got to return home.
    So very sad when you think it was probably started by a discarded cigarette igniting rubbish that had
    accumulated down the years underneath the Stand.

4. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's odd that this comes up this week, I was talking to mr Bradford City mates about this on Saturday. Two brothers one was much older and the other only 9 years old at the time were both there on the day. The older one telling the younger to cover his eyes. Some things you wish you could unsee, but are in your consciousness for ever. Said they were nervous when looking at the west stand.

5. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I know what you mean - I think possibly the visual of the stand in flames has more of an impact than a crush as that wasnt clear to see at the time. Even though both were just as tragic - you dont expect to go to a football match and never come home again

Kettlewell likes this.
  6. cec

cec/mac/tommy/lol&macca Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All very sad. And whilst I don't know every detail, it seems sad that an aged police officer is now facing manslaughter charges. When the fundamental cause of the Bradford and Hillsborough tragedies was the fencing impeding escape onto the pitch. Fencing that promptly disappeared as anonymously as those who instructed its installation.

7. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can’t remember fencing being involved in the Bradford disaster. Stand corrected if so. But remember seeing it unfold on tv. Very very tragic. As was Hillsboro by the way.

8. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tragic. The fire spread so quickly. Hopefully modern H&S does seem to have stopped disasters like this happening at football.
    Obviously Grenfell has highlighted other areas, that hopefully will be learned from.

9. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember it better than Hillsboro' being on holiday in Queensland and watching it happen on Channel 7. Having sat in that strand I couldn't comprehend how many lost their lives. RIP those victims of carelessness.

10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fencing didn't contribute to the Bradford disaster, it was a fatal combination of wooden stands and a build up of rubbish underneath the stand.

I remember watching it, the fire spread so fast. The stand was completely engulfed within about five minutes.

I still remember that poor bloke who was on fire on the side of the pitch with police officers and fans desperately trying to save his life. Heart breaking.

11. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Fencing wasnt an issue at Bradford it was the locked gates to stop gate crashes which they only used to be unlocked about ten minutes before final whistle .
    Most of the bodies were found at these locked gates as the fire prevented them getting to the pitch so made their way to the back exit ,
    It was a heartbreaking scenario and that’s why all exit gates are now manned by stewards at all times .

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019