Our match against Bristol City ?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Acido Tyke, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok this recent idea of mine has sort of gone well on here, so far!!
    So what should my next 'memories of..' thread be about eh, what particualr former match or matches against Bristol City should we talk about and look back on on here ?
    My memories of us playing them only go back to 1990-91, when they came up with their local rivals Bristol Rovers.

2. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fairly non descript team generally. Below us. No outstanding. Memories

3. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was at Ashton gate twice in succession a few years ago when we scored 3 goals on both occasions and only got 1 point....

4. monkey tennis

monkey tennis Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The 90/91 home game I think we beat 'em 2 nil on new years day. 1993 during mad Melvins last season we beat them 2.1 at Oakwell with Andy Cole scoring their consolation and the first of about a million goals he would spunk past us during his career, sithi.

5. Acido Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Brush, werent those two games a 5-3 loss and a 3-3 draw ?
    And Monkey tennis (why didnt that ever get a series by the way ?), I was there that day on new years day at the start of '91, and it was peeing it down. But we did beat them 2-0 and I think they had Gary Shelton sent off. :)

6. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Certainly were.

7. monkey tennis

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't recall anyone being sent off mate but do remember the foul weather I think ooh Gerry Gerry and Rambo rammall got the goals for us, didn't Shelton score the winner for them the season after? ,David Currie had just equalised with for us with a belter of a goal and they scored two minutes later when Shelton chipped the ball over butler. After the final whistle blew a player kicked the ball into the ponty and it landed near me, this fella picks the ball up and stuffs it under his jumper and calmly walks out of the ground and I think no more about it, anyway a few weeks later there's a report in the comical about some bloke in court for nicking a football after the brizzle match , the judge fines said bloke and gives him a ban for at least the rest of the season at which point this fella chirps up " thas probably done me a favour mate , they've been rubbish this season" :) ,sithi.

8. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

I've been a few times but not for well over 20 yrs. It will be like a new ground on Saturday for me.

I can remember a 2 0 win when Brendan scored into our end.

Also a game when we lost 1 0 and they scored from an indirect free kick inside our box. We had everyone on the line and they somehow managed to squeeze the shot in off the post.

Once played their supporters club in the morning and went back to find some of our money had gone from our changing room. Bristol City gave us some free match tickets to help us out.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

9. Acido Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    May as well just leave the thread like it is insteand of settling on one particular match or season.
    That game when they scored the free kick in our area and we had almost all 11 men on the goal line, was near the end of 90-91. I remember the loss at home to them the following season after Currie's cracking goal and then Butler getting caught off his line, and we were in trouble that season when we visitied them in Feb. But a 0-2 win started us off on a run of results that took us to near mid table.

10. monkey tennis

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The 2 nil win took the heat off mad Mel as the natives were getting very restless, the week before we played 2nd bottom Plymouth at home and were stuffed 3-1 with a kid called dwight marshall getting a hattrick for them.After the game around 200 very pissed off fans (including myself) went round the back of the west stand chanting for melvin, the chairman, the board and probably the club cat to sling their hook, sithi.

11. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember a home match in the 50s at home, in which Lol Chappel scored four and we lost 4 - 7.

12. monkey tennis

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Christ on a bike!, one player scoring 4 goals in a game and still being on the losing side, 'kin 'ell we must have been terrible at the back, sithi.

13. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Either I didn't look at the league table back then, or our away wins seemed to just come from nowhere in the 80s and early 90s.

They always seemed to be greeted with an element of shock, and felt rare, unless it was Hull or Leeds where I always felt like we would win.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

14. mikeytyke34

mikeytyke34 Active Member

Bristol away September 1992. Lost a couple of friends who were Reds fans in a car accident on fog bound M1.

15. Acido Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ahh yes I was there for the Plymouth game a week before, and we went into the bottom 3 that day. It was disappointeg to see us go from a play off challenging team to one that struggled at home so much, and we lost far too many games at home in 91-92.
    As for the following season Gerry Taggs was sent off for us but we still led there thanks to O'Connell, but they hit back to win 2-1 and the winning goal was a pen in front of their own fans. And I do remember the sad news that we'd lost some fans in a motorway accident on the way to that match. At the next match, which was an Anglo Italian cup game at home to Derby we held a pre match minutes silence for them. We beat them 2-1 at home later on that season thanks to two more from O'Connell, but a certain Andy Cole did get their goal, he never stopped scoring against us did he.

16. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Only been to Ashton Gate once, early in 1995. We lost the game 3-2, two good goals, one a run from halfway by Andy Rammell to go 1-0 up and the second near the end was a 20 yarder from Danny Wilson into the top corner. I'm sure all 5 goals were in the second half?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk