our nhs

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by korky, Jan 19, 2020.

1. kor

korky Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    not having a pop at the hands on staff, but what a feckin joke our country is,
    the missus went to a&e at 2am today, she's got an abscess and despite only 1 other person waiting, 3hrs later she got some antibiotics,
    nhs rang her later with an appointment to see a dentist today, closest available .......in hull!
    140 mile round trip, needless to say she decided to chomp on more painkillers instead

2. Ton

Tonjytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Please see 12th DECEMBER 2019!

3. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You could have used the nhs walk in centres they are able to prescribe antibiotics or a out of hours doctor. (I know it's no use now but I'd try that in future instead of sitting in a+e)

4. kor

korky Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    mex closer but pass if its open at that hour, but ffs hull the only option on a sunday? i'd have drove her if i fancied fish'n'chips in cleethorpes ;-)

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Our lass is a nurse and was on shift in A&E last night / this morning and although there was hardly anyone in the waiting area at 02:00 hours there were about twelve being attended to by the doctors.
    Some were genuine emergencies but as is sadly the case all too often with our NHS many of them were time wasters or there with self inflicted conditions which take up way too much time, resources and money.

SuperTyke and judith charmers like this.
  6. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    2 things -alot of a&e patients must be self inflicted, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be seen. I’ve been to a&e for cut heads/ legs/fingers all self-inflicted. secondly anyone genuinely time wasting - they should be effectively triaged before they get anywhere near a doctor.

Carlycu5tard likes this.
  7. kor

korky Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    self-inflicted = drunk i guess?

8. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree in part but I won't go into specific details on a public forum but our NHS is abused by some people. It has an impact on those who don't abuse it when they really need it.

NB. I think you know exactly what I mean by self inflicted. If not I'm not referring to people who gash themselves while working.

9. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Partly yes. The same faces turning up at A&E regularly, often calling ambulances and abusing staff or just making demands, being abusive or a nuisance when they are there. There is a hardcore of regular customers who take up a lot of time and resource.

lk311 likes this.
  10. Kettlewell

Kettlewell Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Barnsley did/does operate a Weekend and out of hours emergency dental service. You get to see a Dentist in their surgery ,where initial assessment or treatment would be given and a report sent to your own Dental Surgery. You would contact your own dentist at the next normal working day for a appointment.
    In fairness to Casualty staff everywhere,as a retired nurse, a tooth abscess is classed as a low priority. I know they hurt but you can see their dilema.I hope she will feel better soon and be given some positive news by your Dentist.

TitusMagee likes this.
  11. bfc

bfc1001 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is this a recent trend mario or something that's always gone on ?

12. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm no statistician so this is just my opinion but I think it's got a lot worse over the last ten / fifteen years. The NHS is facing unprecedented demands and it will take more than just increased funding to repair it.

13. joh

john coucom Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It amazes me how druggies get preferential treatment I thought the whole idea of triage was to weed out those who abuse the system and allow those who are genuinely in need of the service

14. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfortunately an abcess is neither an accident or emergency. I hope she gets sorted on Monday.

Abruzzo Red, 1887 and Austiniho like this.
  15. rey

reytfan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think their hypocratic oath means they treat everyone who's in need to the best of their ability,without making judgements. But I'm sure they must get frustrated by the large no.of alcohol,/drug induced cases

Kettlewell likes this.
  16. bfc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think an overall decline in the nation's mental health doesn't help . MH services along with adult social care were the first for the chopping block post 2010 and now we are starting to see the end game . From a personal point of view one of my kids has been waiting for an ASD assessment which he received the other week , 3 years after he was referred . If mental health issues don't get dealt with then generally those people will turn to substance abuse or self harm in graver cases which invariably leads to the strains we see on the few remaining services we have left .

17. kektyke

kektyke Well-Known Member

Warehouse Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My wife had to be admitted to the surgical ward on Christmas day but whilst waiting in a & e and I think this is what @MarioKempes is referring to about time wasters, a young woman came in saying she needed treatment for nits.

Yes nits, now anyone with any common sense knows that all u have to do is rub conditioner in your hair and use a comb and jobs a good one until u can get to the chemist.

But to take up valuable resources for nits is a joke and they probably get hundreds of these idiots in on a daily basis

Donny-Red likes this.
  18. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You’ve got a perverse understanding of ‘genuinely need’. You appear to think it means people who you would morally prefer to be seen rather than those who are in most need of medical attention.

it’s a sad state of affairs but the country is in a dire state which has led to massive numbers of mentally ill people taking up the resources of our emergency services.

Mateo Corbo likes this.
  19. bfc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Though frustrating we did used to have nit nurses back in the day to help educate the masses but they all got binned which then leads to the situation you observed . It's like the free milk for kids which almost eradicated conditions such as rickets but now it's gone we are seeing a rise in accociated ailments which all lead to the doors of the NHS . Short term gain , long term losses .......

Redhelen and kektyke like this.
  20. How

HowMuch! Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Had you done that you would have enjoyed a drive over the Humber Bridge .