PC On the takeover..

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gally, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I've seen it reported that there was no comment on the takeover last night but that's not strictly true.

Patrick spoke about the immense amount of speculation and the fact that while the Daily Mail was saying the takeover was off, others were saying it the takeover was imminent, that actually, neither was true.

There was a question about if there were any obstacles surrounding the takeover. Ray answered the question saying that people are saying is that it going to happen.
    Patrick laughed and seemed unsure saying "it *is* going to happen? You should operate on the basis that it isn't and you won't be disappointed (laughing)... as it stands at the moment nothing is happening..."

Talked about the future and having the working capital to be stable in the future with the model we have.

There was a question about plan a of the potential takeover and what the alternatives were. Patrick joked we were at plan d. He said we don't have to worry if there is a takeover there or not. We have the resources and system to go forward. We need more sanity in our recruitment as we sold good players but caused a problem for ourselves. Some were going to leave us but some we should have kept hold of (roberts). Talked about making some mistakes.

There was a hypothetical question about why say a Chinese or American billionaire would invest in Barnsley. The questioner said he was sceptical. PC said he agreed and that hypothetically they would be looking at what more could be down away from football. The questioner said is the big concern to the football club when you sell it.

AB pointed out that if you look at what clubs you could invest in if you wanted to. Pretty much all the prem is either already owned by foreign owners or English guys who won't sell. If you want to invest in English football, Barnsley is probably the best club at the present time you can invest in.

The questioner said we are in danger of losing our local connection.

PC said we shouldn't get too obsessed or concerned about the future because we made the steps that are necessary to introduce some strong commerciality in the way we operate. The shares in the club will stay within the family and the family will manage the future of the football club in terms of ensuring it has security in the future. he said he didn't think we should get too obsessed with looking at the various scenarios.
    We have been running things as a family business from a shareholder point of view but we know it is actually owned by the fans. And the fans are doing their part and the family are doing their part.

2. northy1

northy1 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    kinda politician answers ,, but i dont mind hanging on till we know the exact truth wished it was over and done with though

3. KingBenny92

KingBenny92 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for that write up. I’d say promising times ahead and I’m glad to support this club whether the takeover does or does not happen

4. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's all true Gally - when I said on here 'no comment' regarding the takeover -that referred to Patrick and GG telling us something that we didn't already know.

The problem of that meeting is that the fans on here built that meeting up to be something special.
    Many of us, including myself. attended because we thought something important was to be announced - for example, the takeover will be announced on such and such a date - and I for one was really disappointed when something like this wasn't announced.

We came out of the meeting no wiser or given much more assurance that the takeover will actually take place, and crucially take place before the next transfer window opens again in January.

BTW - it was me that asked Patrick if there was any obstacles in the way of the takeover - that question related to the rumours surrounding Barnsley Council.
    I didn't get much of a straight forward answer but neither did anyone else who asked about the takeover.

We seem to be stuck in limbo.
    The feeling I got from the meeting is that we could be talking about the possible Chien Lee takeover this time next year

Kettlewell likes this.
  5. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You did.

6. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As it stands at the minute we will have to make do with slowly creeping up the league, a place here and a place there, with players on longer contracts that we've been used to. This on the back of the club hopefully having a tweaked strategy over renewing contracts in a more timely fashion to our key players.
    In the meantime, clubs in direct competition to ourselves are gambling with their entire existence on reaching the premier and sliding further into the mire.
    The takeover may or may not come off, I have mixed feelings, but I'm enjoying my time as a fan at the minute. Just my opinion.

WatfordRed, JamDrop, BobT and 7 others like this.
  7. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    How would you rate Gauthier Ganaye's performance out of 10 Gally?

And when you tell me what it is, I'll tell you why I disagree.

Plankton Pete and MexboroughTyke like this.
  8. Hud

Huddersfield Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Thanks Gally for a sensible review of the meeting. The problem is PC saying we shouldn't worry if there is/isn't a takeover as we have enough working capital and the system is working. Well we might have capital for this window and the current crop of players look promising but what when either funds run out and the next batch of players are not up to Championship standard?

We are maybe the poorest team in the league and without a takeover will only ever tread water, really hope for everyone's sake the takeover happens and before January but it seems this is unlikely too. Worrying uncertain times.

9. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Reading that I'd say it's more likely that the takeover won't happen. Unless Cryne is going to he nth degree to keep people's expectations in check. Worrying as the takeover is essential for the future development of the the club.

Roy Scott likes this.
  10. Hud

Style:
    Barnsley
    Makes you wonder what has been going on for the last 6 months with the proposed takeover, you would think all parties were keen to get this over the line as soon as possible, appears not.

11. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok. Point one re paragraph one. I thought you'd been banging on for months about not knowing anything about the takeover. Now they tell you something you say you already knew.

Point two. Nobody at the club built this meeting up to be anything other than it was; a Q&A session with Patrick and the CEO. Whether anyone on here inferred it was going to be something more is your/their problem.

12. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe both parties are looking for the perfect deal. As we will continually be left in the dark all we can do I see speculate.

13. Hud

Style:
    Barnsley
    All the while we swim against the tide and gamble that we won't get relegated? At some point out luck is going to run out, sooner rather than later if Heckingbottom is enticed away.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  14. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Would rather not. Made some good points, for instance, why we don’t seem to get the shirt orders right and how he planned to correct this. Would have like to have heard more from him on some points but this was his first such event that Im aware of at least.

15. Dep

Deputy Dawg Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That puts a totally different slant on things
    Thanks OP
    If you take that statement at face value and he’s not downplaying it for certain reasons

Takeover by Chien stands at 0% of happening.
    Find it very difficult to believe there’s a meeting taking place today after reading that

Maybe he’s doing that every ground in the UK bucket list challenge

Think he just likes seeing his face and name in the Newspapers ,internet ,TV
    Could turn up at any match but which does he turn up at
    Hull City .... another club he was supposed to buying /still interested in
    Pure gold
    Couldn’t make it up.

16. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with you , however , the problem with speculation is that some fans interpret speculation as fact

Sopwith Camel likes this.
  17. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    When it came to light regarding the takeover at the end of August, I predicted that it would be completed by January at the very earliest. I'm no expert in this sort of thing, I've never purchased a business, but based on the length of time it takes to buy a house for example, I didn't expect it to be completed quickly.

My house purchase went through pretty quickly and it was over 4 months between me making an offer to moving in. Considering the negotiation process of buying a football club with all the relevant parties in itself could potentially be a lengthy process, before all the finance and competency checks, I reckon the 3 months which have passed since it became public knowledge about the takeover is quite a short period. Obviously we don't know how long it had been going off in the background prior to then, but in the age we live in now where we can find out in an instant which celebrity is currently having a *****, I reckon the wheels weren't in motion too long before the end of August.

Tilertoes likes this.
  18. Shy Talk

Shy Talk Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with others that the takeover seems not to be as far advanced as we'd hoped. Patrick seemed quite downbeat and gloomy when he was talking about it, as though he personally isnt happy about it. Thats just my own personal impression I hasten to add.
    But on the other hand I was delighted by his comments that if it doesnt go through the club will stay in the hands of the family. For some this will be the preferred outcome anyway. And at least we know we wont be left in limbo.

JamDrop and churtonred like this.
  19. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just to put this into perspective has everyone forgotten how long it.actually took mr.cryne to.lurxhase the club in the first place. These things dont just happen

churtonred likes this.
  20. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Without wanting to sound callous about this, the only reason for sale is him being striken wth cancer so I'm not surprised he is not happy about it - at each juncture it is a painful reminder of why he has to sell.