PENALTY EXCUSES

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Prince of Risborough, Jun 28, 2017.

1. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Basically what you're saying is that the penalty shootout should be made redundant as no footballers should ever miss a penalty.

I feel from this thread that you may have never played football before.

I agree that players shouldn't do things like the start stop run up as it breaks there concentration.

However the ones who stroke it to the side often wait for the keeper to move first.

Smashing it into the top bag is easier said than done even for a professional.

You're also not accounting for the psychological and physiological effect of nerves on the players. As well as mental and physical fatigue from 120 minutes of football.

Its not easy to smash it when you're legs feel like jelly.

As for Adam Hammills penalty at Fleetwood yes it was fantastic it went in. But for me it showed he wouldn't be a great penalty taker. He just turned around and smashed it with no real control. It nearly hit the crossbar.

Penaltys often look so easy because the players are in fact so good.

If me or you were to take penalties into a professional keeper the goals would seem tiny and we'd see more saved than we scored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've played football before. I was a goalkeeper!

And yes, I did save the odd one but that was more to do with the taker's shortcomings than any clever stuff on my part.

Look.....I'm not saying taking penalties is easy. All I am trying to say is that I can't stand these wishy-washy, stroke it in efforts that so many players try. Just put your foot through it!

3. madmark62

madmark62 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When I played as a keeper, my thoughts were , still are more or less, that the penalty taker will 9 times out of 10 place the ball across his body, ie a right footed kicker places it to his left, so therefore I always dived to my right, or if he was a lefty, to my left. It is amazing how often you can "guess" right !!