Personal - Another Walking Event

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by KFC, May 31, 2017.

1. KFC

KFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Morning BBS folks.

I'm not a hugely regular poster on here, but have been contributing in my small way for nigh on 20 years now, so hopefully some of you will know me or my alias, and I hope no-one minds me sharing this story and plea.

I know through the various WSB events and from reading other posts that there are some keen (and reluctant!) walkers on here, so hopefully will be of interest to some. I also know there's a group of 'Tarntrekkers' about to take on the 3 peaks challenge - all the best to those guys - and that many of you will have donated to their cause, so absolutely no offence taken if you don't want to hear about another similar request.

2 years ago I undertook an event for Oxfam known as 'Trailtrekker.' At the time I was a lazy, overweight bloke weighing in at 17 stone, and I wanted to set myself a long term target to get fit, raise some money for charity, and be part of a team working towards a massive challenge.

Trailtrekker is a 100km (62 miles) 'ultra' event held in North Yorkshire - it takes a circular route north of Skipton, including part of Pen y Ghent, Malham Cove, and, well loads of hills generally. It's a non-stop event, and to cut a long story short, our team completed in 33 hours. I can't begin to describe the levels of fatigue and pain you experience after all that walking, and the weather that day(s) certainly didn't help.

At the end of the event I said "never again" but vowed to make sure I kept myself fit afterwards, having dropped to 15 stone.

Roll on 18 months to Xmas 2016, and of course I'd put the weight back on and done not a scrap of exercise in the meantime. So I signed up to do the thing I'd "never again" do - another 100km event - this time the 'Race to the Stones' which takes place down south somewhere next month. It finishes at Stonehenge, hence the name.

For our team, one of the key things we were looking for this time out was to be able to select our own charity. Whilst doing it for Oxfam was hugely fulfilling, there's always the feeling that you don't really know what happens with the money you raise, you don't directly see where it goes. We wanted to do something that would benefit a local charity instead.

So this time out, we're fundraising for Barnsley Hospice. If anyone would like to donate, no matter how small, it would be hugely appreciated and I'm sure hugely valuable to the hospice. The link is here.

As with last time, the preparation has been ongoing for 6 months, with regular visits to the gym (I really hate running) to lose the weight combined with practice walks every 2-3 weeks. So far I've clocked up half a dozen 20+ mile walks, a couple of 30's, and yesterday got to 40 miles. Which blooming hurts today I can tell you! I did try the 3 peaks a few weeks back too, but pulled a muscle on the way up Pen y Ghent and had to turn back after peak 1. Huge Kudos to the guys doing that challenge, it's really hard work. I'm hoping to have another go in a few weeks!

Anyhow, thanks for reading, feel free to ask any questions, and huge thanks in advance for any donations.

Cheers - KFC

Jimmy viz likes this.
  2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dull question I know but what was your first step ( so to speak) I really need to get fitter but complicated by a slipped disc and laziness.

3. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
  4. KFC

KFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Not a dull question at all!

Daft as it sounds, you've taken the first step - wanting to do something. In my case I had a couple of mates who wanted to do Trailtrekker, so I signed up with them. The good thing about that (and the one I'm doing this year), is because you need months and months of prep, you're setting a long term goal which you need to work to in stages.

Walking is a great thing to do in my opinion, because you get noticeably better at it the more you do it. The first time I went out this year, I did about 9 miles and it hurt. Next time, 15 miles. Next time, 20, and that hurt. Then, 20 and it hurt less. And so on...

Obviously a slipped disc doesn't help your cause, but if it helps, I've also suffered a lot with back problems, primarily because of the weight I carry. I can say with absolute certainty that taking this up has helped massively - in fact it's only when I'm not walking regularly I now suffer with my back.

5. KFC

KFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    That looks awesome, though perhaps not in one go!

6. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Open the front door, put one foot in front of the other. Go a comfortable distance, turn around and walk back home. Repeat every day with slightly further distances, or more challenging routes (hills, etc) until you get to a reasonable distance then stick at it. Use a step counter (got one on my phone) or a fitbit or similar to keep track of what you do. Don't get disheartened if you have a rest day or life intervenes.

The other option is to get a dog and walk it 4-5 times a day. Doesn't have to be too far - just 1/2mile to 1mile, but I lost about 4 stones in six months doing that. The dog is optional if you have strong self-motivation.

7. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers. Thanks for that. My problem at the minute is I can't walk very far without a lot of pain in my leg (linked to the disc) but I'm at tge acupuncturist next week so if it gets easier I will give it a go.

8. KFC

KFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Wish you good luck, and if you ever want tips then get in touch

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

9. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Get some swimming trunks.

Not tight fitting speedos that make you look like a German tourist and/or a sex offender.

Go metrodome.

Walk to the wave pool.

Enter said pool.

Walk until it's hitting half way up your chest.

Walk from one side of the pool to the other.

Repeat.

The water carries your weight and reduces stress on your joints.

Walk for an hour at waist height and it'll burn off about 600 calories

10. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tempting but I don't want to end up on some sort of register.

The pool is not my friend it hurts my leg far too much. I used to swim, cycle and play footie and squash. Since doing my back in if had to knock all 4 on the head and I'm completely unfit. I'm going to give the walking a go but first it's time to do. As the lesbians do and get but some sensible shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app