Possible takeover & move from Oakwell stalling, according to this

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Tarntyke, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Both, clearly

Be fair mate, there's a difference between being stuck in a time warp and not wanting to move for other reasons. I don't see the benefits. New stadium doesn't rid us of our existing ills and also adds millions of debt to our club. I don't know of any clubs that have built new grounds for reasons other than they had to because:

1. They didn't have one (Brighton/Rotherham)
    2. Their existing ground wasn't up to spec (Doncaster)
    3. Their existing ground didn't have enough space (Arsenal)

I think it needs updating. I think it needs a new scoreboard, a lick of paint, some pride in the place by the powers that be. But if we don't have that under the current stewardship I can't see us having a new ground to be proud of under them either.

2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Gives us all we need?

Locally results are mixed Donny's crowds are lower than ever with Rotherham it's success on the pitch that is moving them forwards.

3. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Gives us all we need?

The more I think about it the more I reckon a new stadium is what we need. Not sure what the going rate for a stadium is, and it would have to be something along the lines of the Amex (maybe not as big) and not another Keepmoat or New York Stadium.

It's not like you have to pay for these things up front, it can be paid for over a long period and a lot of the costs can be covered by sponsorship. Build in things like conference facilities and that's another income stream.

We've stood still for far too long, we've had a couple of years of decline and something like this could be just what we need to put some energy back into the club and the fans, and pick a few more fans up while we're at it.

Dodworth seems a good location, somewhere near the train station so that people can still drink in town before the game and get to the ground easily.

4. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    when you come off at J36...

head as if going to Hoyland, but then there is the link road that runs to the A1 all that land which was Rockingham pit and all along there The Cross Keys pub is there .... there are even some roundabouts with turn offs that are unused , it would not take much to sort that out.

5. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: As Ive pointed out, your a good representation of why the club/town is going nowh

Can you imagine Birdfcukingwell some people have been hitting the happy drugs I think.

6. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

If I wanted to make a controversial move I'd maybe leak a story to the press, soften up the doubters ready for when it happened.

Not saying for one moment that's what has happened here but it's put it up for debate.

7. Dragon Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    whats you pronlem with Birdwell mate

nowt wrong with it at all. But this is all conjecture so do not get worried about it. The whole story is probably untrue.

8. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Haha.

Micky Mellon's red and white army.

9. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Dont subscribe to the view that we cant so we wont

Aye we are going to get a lot from corporate sponsorship and regional investment from a Tory government only interested in cutting. If people live in the past then you live in a wobbly wobbly world of your own.

Success on the pitch and improving Oakwell would improve your 'match day experience'

I suspect in the case of traditionalist Barnsley an out of town site would see attendances plummet and money that could be spent on improving the team would be wasted.

10. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: when you come off at J36...

You've sort of answered your own question there. You can't build a football ground where a pit has been, even if it was anywhere near big enough. Plus you will have a very hard time prising that land from the Fitzwilliams.

11. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Brought to you all the way from beyond the Grave the reformed Beatles with all original members playing the Sailor Syd stadium Birdwell.

12. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

It's pretty much all under control of whichever agencies are in charge of building pointless ******* 'business parks' and link roads which destroy the greenbelt and bring no permanent jobs.

13. Dragon Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was under the impression that

the land was earmarked for development at some future point.

14. S.M.

S.M. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Just keep polishing the turd then.

When Rotherham fans are singing **** ground no fans next season, will you hear them from the 1980s?

15. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I've always been in the position of having to drive to Barnsley, park and walk to the ground so I don't really care where it is. Not sure any decision on ground location should be based on drinkers being able to drink until ten minutes to kick off and then roll down to the ground. I know it's always been so, but is that right? We even used to kick off at 3.15 when pubs closed at 3 on Saturdays just so people could have extra drinking time. I'm more interested in the football to be honest, not getting another pint in before we go down to the ground.
    I suppose it would be controversial but I would rather have something like the Bescot at Walsall which is built for expansion. They started small but it can be extended as they think necessary. I'm sick and tired of sitting in a half empty stadium with whole sections of empty seats. What kind of atmosphere does that generate? Not a very good one, usually. IF we had to move I hope we could build something like a 15,000 seater with room to extend as and when necessary. I think that would be more than adequate for our needs.
    Big crowds for cup ties? Who cares - if people can't be bothered to watch us play a league game they have no right to a seat when Chelsea or Man Utd come to town.

16. WorsbroughRed

WorsbroughRed Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

If we were top of the league this wouldn't even be discussed.

Oakwell's a cracking place when the atmosphere's going.

Unfortunately there hasn't been much to shout about recently.

Improve on the pitch and the rest will follow.

17. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

From the 80s was Oakwell built then...

The Rotherham ground is ok in a soulless flat pack Ikea way. Success on the field is however driving them and despite this attendances remain lower than ours.

If money were no object and we had highly marketable land to flog then it would be something to consider. Neither is true.

Anyone who think the ground is the main problem is quite frankly off their head and living in fairy la la land.

Anyone who doesn't think our ground will be amongst the best in League 1 should we get relegated is welcome to join me for a trip to Carlisle or Gillingham.

Of course ground development can always go the way of Coventry and we could end up ground sharing with Burton Albion for a few years...

18. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

building on a site where the actual pit shafts were is probably the most safest,a large shaft pillar is left where no coal is worked to protect the shafts.these areas are without doubt the most stable areas there are.
    it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if the shafts were under the pitch,they are back filled right from the bottom.The area at rockingham has also been open casted so in excess of about 80m is actually missing from the shafts.the shaft pillars would have been in excess of 2000 square yards for shafts that deep at rockingham.
    cortonwood retail park is built on cortonwood shaft pillar.
    oakwell and indeed the whole of Barnsley is built over workings much shallower than whats up at rockingham.

19. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: As Ive pointed out, your a good representation of why the club/town is going nowh

If you think that Oakwell is in such a bad state of repair that it needs knocking down then I give up. Oakwell is one of the best stadiums in the area and once the west stand is done it will really be one of the best if not the best in south yorkshire.

Hillsbrough is falling down, bramall lane is all crushed together, the keepmoat is soulless and whilst rotherhams is a really nice ground it isn't a patch on Oakwell because we have one big big benefit and that is huge concourses which can be really utilised if they want to to create the best and most comfortable concourses in the country not just the area. There is massive scope to develop those areas into proper bars, varied and unique catering establishments, seating areas, warm comfortable areas etc. Stick in a new scoreboard and finish filling in the corners and I honestly believe that whilst it wouldn't be the biggest in yorkshire it'd certainly be the best stadium by far.

And yes I know that certain areas of the ground could do with tarting up but to be honest I could do with redecorating my living room as well. The common sense thing for me to do is buy a new carpet and some paint not to go and build a new house.

A new stadium does have an increased attendance that is just a fact but that fact alone is ignoring the fact that stadium improvements also see an increased attendance and that is why I believe the best cause of action is to improve little and often. A new scoreboard and boxing in of a bar in the east lower this season, fill in the north east corner as a child friendly area next season, kick lindleys out and really go to town on catering the year after etc

20. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Build small with the future plan of spending more money redoing it and adding on in the future is the biggest waste of money in football. Just ask Rotherham who are now considering twice as much ripping the back out of their stands and increasing capacity than they would have done if they had just built it that big in the first place. If you're going to go down that route then MK Dons is the only financially sensibly way that I've ever seen it done by building it full size and just not putting the seats in till they were needed