PPE for medical staff

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by e-red, Apr 3, 2020.

1. AthersleyRed

AthersleyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, just politically ignorant on a lamentable scale. See: turkeys voting for christmas. Raise morale? Surely its better for morale in the long run not to vote for a party that has systematically run our NHS into the ground. I'm being as sincere as possible here, I dont want to seem like an arsehole. I genuinely feel like its blatant hypocrisy UNLESS its only the people who DIDN'T vote Tory/BXP who are clapping. Then I'll apologise for being presumptuous.

Watcher_Of_The_Skies likes this.
  2. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mmm, because someone wants to make a personal gesture to thank someone for a selfishness act they are politically ignorant.
    Yes in the long run for morale it’s better not to be in the position we are, but the reality is we are where we are and have to deal with the situation we are in. We of course could just bury our heads and leave them to it and pretend it’s not our problem I suppose.
    You are doing nothing but try to Politicise a situation when it is totally inappropriate to do so, raise and debate it when it’s over my all means but now is not the right time.
    You are entitled to your opinion but I don’t believe anyone went to the voting booth thinking I am gonna vote Tory cos they will underfund the NHS.

ScubaTyke likes this.
  3. Dar

Darfield138 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mate, I'm not one to jump in on such venal political discussions, but, Tony Blair's government introduced a lot of the internal market reforms and in particular the pfi schemes that have crippled the NHS with debt ever since. I haven't read the small print yet but I imagine the debt is what the health secretary was writing off today. I point this out not to defend one party but to point out that castigating one party whilst giving the other a free ride might not be the best thing to do all the time.

4. Tid

Tidytyke Active Member

She told us on a zoom call the previous Wednesday that although she was working in intensive care she wasn't a priority for a mask. They told her to take a standard surgical mask and tape round it.

5. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If people of any political persuasion want to give thanks, that's fine and im sure the compassionate nature of NHS workers makes them thankful.

However the hypocrisy of some is worth highlighting because they seemingly fail to see any relevance in their act of voting Tory and the increasingly difficult circumstances NHS staff have been under due to 10 years of real term cuts. This policy and their voting record puts the NHS in a much worse position to deal with Covid than it would have been, which with the best will in the world was already pretty rank.

It was talked about previously and fobbed off with people unquestioningly parroting Tory spin about how "cutting NHS waste would solve the problem". Now we're talking about it when it's at its most relevant and we're told "it's not the right time".

But they did underfund the NHS, three times, at three general elections. At the last one they doubled down and decided that it was worth Brexit even if it meant losing NHS doctors, nurses and care assistants from abroad. In the last 2 years we've lost 10k EU health workers.

Both my elderly and in ill-health parents are staunch Tory voters. Both say they love the NHS. Yet neither can, or wish to, join the dots and see Tory policy as being responsible for their instances poor quality of care which have undoubtedly been due to poor staffing levels.

I get the feeling some people don't want to talk about it because it pricks their conscience and is uncomfortable?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    e-red, Donny-Red and Redhelen like this.
  6. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You don't know what you've got until its gone comes to mind.

When I was very young there was a girl with slight learning difficulties who was deaf and lived in America. That happened because she contracted meningitis and her parents delayed taking her to hospital straight away as they couldn't afford to. Here your child shows any signs you could go straight away and get them checked out. Most times it is nothing but the one time it is more serious there would be no delay in treatment

e-red and Watcher_Of_The_Skies like this.
  7. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m not talking about how the NHS was underfunded though am I? I’ve never disputed that though have I?
    So why bring it up on a post where I’m saying don’t use Politics at this time.
    I’m saying don’t Politicise it right at this moment in time, if you feel it’s more important to focus on Politics than the matter in hand now then to quote another poster I can’t help you and will leave you and others as always by respecting the opinion but disagreeing.

8. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You said people 'didn't vote Tory whilst wanting to underfund the NHS'.

That's a politicised statement.

9. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair point I did, it that was in response to the hypocrites who vote Tory comment.
    You mentioned your Parents did they go to the polls saying I’m going to vote Tory cos there going to slash the NHS?
    If you’re answer is yes then fair enough I’m wrong on that statement.

10. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can you imagine the bills we'd be running up if the NHS were privatised?

Redhelen likes this.
  11. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spoken like a true Tory, let's talk about it when the spin doctors have told us what to say and it's no longer relevant.

You were given a choice in the ballot box to choose to fund the services that we all need, or to keep out foreigners. With the help of the right wing press you chose the latter. Now you don't want to know about the consequences of your actions.

Ps I can't help you.

lk311 likes this.
  12. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok we will start with , I have never voted Tory in my life and as far as I know nobody in my immediate family as far as I know have.
    Secondly I come from a very entrenched Labour family, my father was a Labour councillor and Mayor, my Grandfather was a massive Union man in the 79’s and 80’s was one of the big cheeses in the North of England in the Transport Union, so I was brought up by Labour men and Labour opinions.

So you couldn’t be further from the truth in your assumption that because I don’t agree with Politicising a good deed by the general public I am a Tory.
    I love the way how people automatically assume if someone doesn’t share an opinion they must be a Tory or a Brexiteer on this board.

I’m going to leave the comments at this, we clearly don’t agree about the general public being allowed to show appreciation to the individuals who are working hard and at risk and you have offered nothing except to try to bring politics into it.
    You are entitled to your opinion and I mine.
    I’ll end it as I started with I hope Mary makes a full recovery.

ps I’m going to like your comment because despite the difference in opinion the ps tickled me(meant in a nice way).

13. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Please accept my apologies for not picking you as a devil's advocate. Of course in that sense you are completely right. You probably can't help me. Peace friend?

lk311 likes this.
  14. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Indeed Sir, no harm done, the board is for opinions.
    And you are bang on the money I am very much a devils advocate in life in general.

e-red likes this.
  15. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd like to thank everybody for their good wishes for Mary. Her condition has made me more heated than I like to be, I'll let you know how she progresses.

16. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They voted for them knowing full well they weren't going to fund the NHS properly. Maybe they and others think it's a price worth paying. I don't get it personally. If you don't have your health what do you have?

17. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The healthcare system in America is ****. They are currently struggling far more than any of the 1st World countries to treat people. They don't have enough beds, ventilators and ppe either. So being the world's leading economy is proving jack ****. You're widely off the mark with your comment though. There are twice more government owned public hospitals in America than private. The government therefore stands any financial loss if a critical patient has no healthcare insurance or any means to pay. This is the same with private hospitals. By law under the Labour Bill a critical patient must be admitted into the nearest hospital. If the nearest hospital is a private one then the patient will go there. So a homeless person would receive critical care treatment just as a millionaire would. If they have no insurance or no means to pay the hospital has to pay. The critical patient cannot be transferred to a public hospital either if this would be detrimental to their recovery under the Bill.
    This crisis has served to reinforce the fact that the NHS is fundamental and will continue to be 'free at the point of use' for generations to come.