Proud moment

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by JamDrop, Sep 27, 2017.

1. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My friend and fellow teacher from my last school just showed me an article in yesterday's Bradford City programme. A child who was in the first class I ever taught has just been given a 2yr academy scholarship with a 1yr professional contract to automatically follow at the age of 15. He's also being monitored by Republic of Ireland set up. I know I have sod all to do with it, he was insanely too good for my football 'coaching' in PE, and wasn't even allowed to join in any matches due to contracts then, but I still feel a bit proud. Always felt that he and one other boy (who would be just out of under 12s I think) would be ones to watch out for in the future.

BobT, MappRed, Connor and 7 others like this.
  2. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wow, didn't know that happened, it's a bit mental at that age.

Still, chuffed for you and the lad

3. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Mine was reffing a junior game in which Mick McCarthy played for Barnsley Boys Club. It was awesome, the other lads in his team just gave him the ball and he just ran with it in a straight line towards the opposition goal. Those opposition players with any sense found some kind of reason to get out of his way. Every now and again one would try to tackle him. As referee I should have taken more notice, but my eyes were shut out of fear. When I opened them he was still going and the other lad was crumpled on the floor.

I think it was about 12-0 and Mick scored most of them while playing central defender. I claim credit for his entire career since.

Andy Mac, MappRed, Joshken123 and 4 others like this.
  4. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    nezbfc, MappRed, Connor and 1 other person like this.
  5. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We had the same issue at St Michael's when Barnsley and Huddersfield wouldn't allow their U12-U16 players to play for our school team unless it was in a school cup competition like English Schools, etc. Madness!

6. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Take a leaf out of Brian Clough's book and take the credit. Tony Woodcock had just signed for Nottingham Forest and Cloughie said to him ' I don't know if you're any good but if you are, don't forget I've signed you...if you're sh**e he's signed you ( meaning his assistant Peter Taylor)