Question re =recruitment

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brian Mahoneys Waist, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would hope that PH is the man who as the last word on who we sign.If he isn't who is.? I recall Patrick saying that Danny Wilson always had the final say in who we signed.If that's the case surely PH as the same criteria.If he hasn't I'm slightly worried.The manager should and must always have the final say on recruitment.A manager and coaching staff should be aware of every single player in this country not some bloke in a suit if that's whats happening.

2. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What does final say mean though?

1. Which player do you want us to go and get for you Paul? - This sounds like first say to me and is very unlikely although I think that is what some people seem to think it means.

2. Do you want player X or player Y Paul? - If player X is horrendous at point 8 on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the worst) and player Y is 7, then he's going to choose player Y but it's not going to do him much good.

3. Do you want player Z Paul, or nobody? - If this is the case then he still gets the final say but it's a Hobson's choice.

3. bfc

bfcted Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If Paul Heckingbottom as the final say, why in his interview's (i would say at least 5 including his last one) say that we signed the same type of midfielder and he cant play them all.

Mallan, Mcgeehan, Moncur, Potts, although Potts can play in different positions. Same with the lack of striker he is looking for

I would guess that its the scouting team we have who decide on the players.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  4. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Reading between the lines - I think Hecky and the recruitment team put a list together - then it's up to Ganaye to get them over the line.

But it looks like there's been problems.

What's happened - as I can gather - is that say 6 midfielders are targeted with the intention of signing 2 of them.
    And say 7 strikers are targeted hoping to sign 3 of them.

But what's happened in practice - is that instead of getting 2 midfielders we got 5.
    And instead of getting 3 strikers we got just one.
    To add to this - they were brought in late.

I think recruitment on the whole has been good in that we have got some good players in.
    On the other hand - it's an unbalanced squad.

IMO - jury is out on whether Ganaye is up to the task.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    From what I understand the new model wasn't 100% in place when Danny was around and I was told he didn't buy into it. Was also told by Patrick the head coach always had the final say. I don't know how that works in practice though.

6. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    As said above it very much depends what is ment by the final say

7. Gally

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Is that based on having no information at all to to judge that on?

8. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nope.
    It's from listening to the Hecky interview from last week - and the interviews during the summer transfer window.

When Hecky says .......... we have recruited too many midfielders but we are short of striker options. And the players have been brought in late.
    Then IMO - we have recruited too many midfielders but we are short of striker options - and the players have been brought in late.

9. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's quite simple to me Gally.

They gather information about different players via different means. Agents Scouts and the statistics like most clubs do then the head coach will pick who he wants. That's how it works. It's how they mentioned it was a few months ago.

Heckingbottom contradicts what he says. He said totally different things. Self-preservation.

10. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If Hecky was hands on with transfers, we wouldn't be Spackman-esque with midfielders. He also wouldn't have had to make yesterday's jibe about illustrating the type of forward he needs by putting centre halves up front.

11. Gally

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Not sure how this simplistic view of the model we have in place relates to my question for Nudger? He was talking about the jury being out for GG? I was asking what he based that on given he has no insight on what he was tasked to do, what he delivered, where he failed and most importantly what his constraints were. He could be tasked with delivering a Champions League winning side but if all he's got is few hundred K and a blackie's egg then it's not going to happen is it?

12. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He decided he didn't like a French person at the helm, and made commemts about if we weren't going to recruit from France it should be an Englishman. We then signed a French striker and got an owner with a significant investment in French football, so he's now trying to justify his bigotry in other ways.

SuperTyke likes this.
  13. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't see GG having a massive influence on it Gally because I don't think he's a football person. He might have a few links to people from France. Say friends that can say he's a good player or this guy doing well in Ligue 2.

Ben Mansford say will have seen 1000's of players and have links to people that can get them. He was a Football person first with a law degree wheres Gauthiers a business first person. For me I've little expectations on him been able to suggest players or whatever but he needs to be **** hot at getting the business part of the deal done.

14. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are you man enough yet to respond to your lies about hecky being the only manager to fail to win in 10 games?

15. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I probably agree with that, in general terms. Now, let's take that forward and say the pool of players identified aren't good enough at this level, or the players that are, choose other Clubs over us. What then? What options does that leave the manager with, to build a competitive Championship squad?

16. Gally

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Again, nothing to do with my question to Nudger but I'm interested, how is BM a football person with a law degree and GG not a football person with a law degree? How have you come to this conclusion?

17. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    At the time of Ben Mansford joining Barnsley he was a football agent. He was part of a number of deals. Peter Beagrie had spoken about him on Live TV an praised him for what he'd done as a agent for him. He then was a highish profile agent with some good players Fabian Delph. What I'm trying to say is he spent time around footballers, football people and will have had to watch Football at different levels.

For me Gauthiers a Business person. Non of his roles have been directly linked to football even though he's been with a football team before. He was Marketing and development director before joining Barnsley.

18. Gally

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Actually that sounds like Yes.

19. Gally

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Gauthier's worked in football his entire working life as far as I can see. Some of that time was spent dealing with agents and clubs like Man City and Arsenal. Granted, BM was an agent with a bit more more experience but hadn't worked within a club. Seems like very similar backgrounds to me. BM just a bit older and more experienced. Both sports lawyers.

Metatarsal likes this.
  20. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The more you talk, the more you reveal that you know **** all about anything.