Reason we will be Relegated

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Van Basten, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Van

Van Basten Member

Retired Fitter
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    is the failure by successive managements to address a problem which has been obvious for the last two seasons. The most important position in a football team is the goalkeeper yet the club have brought in such as Fryers, Pinnilos, Knasmuller, Maloney etc. while failing to replace two poor keepers.

Since the start of 2018 both keepers have been used and both have poor records at this level i.e.
    Davies has had 7 starts and from 24 shots on target has conceded 13 goals.
    Townend has had 8 starts and from 31 shots on target has conceded 12 goals.
    Added together this amounts to 25 goals conceded from 55 attempts which means a goal from every 2.2 attempts. During this period a lead has been lost 5 occasions costing 9 points and added to the keeper problem would probably have made the difference between relegation or survival.

Paul Conway stated that relegation would not be the end of the world but compared to two seasons in league
    one the cost of a replacement keeper would be peanuts.

sitting bull likes this.
  2. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe the managers were told they couldn't sign a new goalkeeper?

I refuse to believe that even Johnno would look at our current two and think they were good enough.

3. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Davies has had a mistake in him for aslong as i can remember as far back as the jpt semi at oakwell when the ball went under him for a routine save from a cross and went in. Last season he assisted Sam winnall for a tap in. That's just 2 off top of my head. Both have cost us alot of points this season. Would like to know what heckingbottoms thoughts were on the goalkeepers we have and why in the summer one was never brought in because Townsend has never looked good enough. And I don't think Davies is championship quality. I know we were close to signing the lad from Oxford but didn't want to be held to ransom over the fee.

4. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember a howler he made against MK Dons under Wilson but the ref missed it. The dye was cast.

5. Ripper

Ripper Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    3 months ago a striker was the most important position we need to strengthen.

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I still like Davies and still think he will be a good keeper. Wouldn't try to argue he's a had a good season, but I would argue he's had good seasons in the past.

He's definitely made mistakes this season, but I think, at times, the criticism has been incredibly harsh and he's been blamed for more of the goals we've conceded than he should have been.

7. Dub-Tyke

Dub-Tyke Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree.

I’ve no complaints from the last 2 seasons - he was quality in our promotion team.

All players at this level have errors in them - otherwise they’d be snapped up by bigger clubs already.

Anyway, look at Joe Hart - he’s not done bad for himself has he! Despite the errors.

Davies lost his confidence - and to be fair he’s probably knackered now after his Mrs giving birth the other week. Most of us know how little sleep you get them first few months!

8. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't we try to sign one in January? Or was that me having hallucinations.

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  9. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In 96/97, David Watson to my memory let in "soft" goals against Man City (away), Port Vale (away), Wolves (Home and Away), Birmingham (home) probably a few others that escape me. I'll ignore the one he conceded directly from a corner against Oxford, he was under the influence and it was of no consequence. Ever present. We got promoted.

Jack Butland this season has made 29 appearances, made 120 saves (shots and other efforts, according to the PL website) and conceded 54 goals. Stoke may well be relegated. I'd argue that while his stats aren't great, the reason Stoke may be relegated is down to them, collectively, being worse at football than at least 17 other Premier League sides. Butland may well be England's first choice keeper at the world cup.

Davies has been poor in comparison to his previous 3 seasons, no denying it. But if all of our players were subject to the same microanalysis that Davies is seemingly subject to, the "blame" for our woeful form may be more evenly spread I would think.

James98, Andy Mac, Rosco and 4 others like this.
  10. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The idiotic cyber bullies hiding behind keyboards are incredibly unhelpful. Davies is an ok keeper in a bad run of form. His confidence was destroyed by being played through his poor form because we had no alternative. For the last two seasons he has been one of our better players. Daft to say he hasn’t.

11. Tru

TrueRed92 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Play Mcburnie as a striker , not on the left and we have a better chance. Surely we can have Moore and Mcburnie up front together even if it's in a 4-4-2

North Yorkshire Tyke likes this.
  12. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry, am I just going ******* mental or was Davies actually pretty great for the majority of last season? I can't remember anyone slating him but suddenly everyone is happy to conclude he's always been utter dogger. I'm not pretending he's been great recently but **** me, from reading the comments on here you'd think he'd smashed every goal kick straight into his own net for the past 2 years.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    James98, MarioKempes, Django and 6 others like this.
  13. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    His confidence is shot. He's like a golfer with the yips. Hopefully he'll get over it because I'd say he's been decent up to this season.

14. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No fans are not saying hes always been sh*te, but he was far from perfect either last season. As we coasted through those end of season mid table games, his form and confidence and even his interest, started to get worse.

15. Gud

GudjonFan Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bristol’s goalie wasn’t the most imposing. Was he at fault for our first goal?

16. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So are you saying Johnno rated Davies, Davies is decent or Fielding is crap?

17. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think he trying to say that there are mistakes in all goalkeepers at this level , lets face it , if they were top class keepers , they would not be playing at this level they would be at top clubs in the premier league

Dub-Tyke and Jimmy viz like this.
  18. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    And any decent Championship goalkeeper would probably have been taken away from us too.

19. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There are mistakes in top class keepers too. I just don't think either of our keepers have any real strengths and don't inspire confidence in an inexperienced and fragile defence. Hence, part of the reason why we are where we are.

sitting bull likes this.
  20. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair Adam Davies has only really lost it since April 17. After only one month bad form it would’ve been harsh to replace him in the summer transfer window.

After several months bad form we then tried to sign a new keeper in January, we should’ve definitely got one in then