Reds in 1982 & Leeds away in 1988

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by kendraytyke, Mar 4, 2018.

1. kendraytyke

kendraytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've just uploaded two videos to my YouTube channel.

An hour of highlights from 1982 Rotherham & Middlesbrough away & Leeds at home. Two defeats and a win.

Then Leeds away in 1988 a great 2-0 win

2. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Just watched the Leeds game. I was there and can remember foreskin scoring into our end but couldn't remember the second goal, so cheers for that.

Out of all the times we've played them since 82, I worked out I've seen all bar one. We've had some cracking wins against them. They must hate playing us.

3. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same here mate, I thought his second goal was a one on one, but that must have been the disallowed one I was thinking of. A very sweet victory, loads of school mates at Wilfs were Leeds fans.

My Dad and me were sat next to Mick Clarke in the away end. Gwyn Thomas and Steve Agnew, it seemed anyway, dominated against Sheridan and Batty.

I'd be 13 at the time and have wonderful memories of that era.

4. fit

Mick Clarke used to spend a bit of time with us from the supporters club team back then. I think he was either injured or just out of favour. He was a good lad.

5. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Used to live in digs down the road from me in Brierley with a guy called Bill Francis, Clifton Gardens I think. He was a good bloke, had a decent three months when he first joined, but never really good enough after that. He was out of favour, I don't think he started more than another 3 or 4 games before signing for Scarborough?

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  6. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Had a great day out at Leeds in 88, was 14 got the bus and ran out of cash for bus fair home!

7. fit

If you listen to our fans around the time of the first goal we were singing pompeys song, but changed it to "I O Barnsley, Barnsley I O" - quite silly really.

Another that we shamelessly nicked was "marching on together" with the end changed to "reds, reds, reds!" My mate hated that and refused to join in.

Also, "you're in the valley, the valley of death" is one we nicked, but I'm not sure if it was from Bradford or Charlton. I recall us singing that to Rotherham in the cup in 78.

8. rag

raggylads Active Member

hgv driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Valley of death was a bradford song due to the running battles we always had there.

9. fit

Other 80s memories include, scoring a goal, doing that little fist pumping dance and singing "here we go"

Retaliation to that would be to sing "you're gunner get your fuckin head kicked in"

Also, 10 minutes after kick off at away games the local constabulary would open a gate in the home sections and walk our "boys" around and put them in with the rest of us to a verse of "we're proud of you, we're proud of you" .

10. rag

raggylads Active Member

hgv driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Was at the leeds game went round leeds for a few pints ended up in william hills and me and mate had a fiver on reds to win 2-0 at 20-1 happy days.

fitzytyke2 likes this.