Restarting the season

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by jrenshaw, Apr 2, 2020.

1. jre

jrenshaw Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So when the restrictions are lifted in the UK I can't see the leagues being able to start again, until other parts of the world also lift their restrictions. It seems most players and manages from the UK have (rightly) gone home to spend quarantine with their family, so even if the UK lifts restrictions surely we'd need most of the world to do so also to be fair...

lannoy and Redhelen like this.
  2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    n/t

jrenshaw likes this.
  3. lan

lannoy Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    there's absolutely no chance of the season being finished, it's just a matter whether they void everything or start handing out titles and promotions etc

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    It's a very good point. And it's an issue that affects football probably more than any other industry. Only about 30% of players in the Premier League are English.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...layers-premier-league-gives-gareth-southgate/

I've barely given football a thought since all this began. The preoccupation with how we'll finish this season always seemed odd to me as I don't believe we'll ever start the 2020-21 season. The point you raise complicates the issue even further.

The world has decided, with very few exceptions in terms of countries, that we must stop the spread of the coronavirus. Whether or not you believe the disease Covid-19 is similar to influenza, the coronavirus itself is. It is from a family of viruses that cause colds and flu. We do not have the means as a species to eradicate cold and flu viruses. This particular virus appears more hardy than most as it remains active much longer outside a host, contaminating both hard and soft surfaces, which is why the advice is to wash your hands.

I'm not going to make any predictions about how long the current lockdown will last, or if it will become even more severe. A couple of things are for certain: we're not going to go from this to crowds in football stadia at the weekend after the restrictions are lifted on the Monday. And freedom of movement from one country to another will not follow the week after.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-52153103

Concurrent cases of influenza never drops to zero even when the virus cannot survive outside a host. We've all seen how quickly this virus spreads. How do we ever return to large crowds of people and international travel if the policy of containment persists?

Maybe we don't lack the means to eradicate the coronavirus, we've just, until now, lacked the will. We have attempted to eradicate many diseases but been successful with just one - smallpox.

Redstone likes this.
  5. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I dont understand how clubs get more money from finishing the season than they'd get from starting a new one There will only be time to play a finite number of games after all, whether it's the end of this season plus a shortened next season, or just next season.

6. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Only my view but i think we shud write it off but the current positions stand.....we could use an averaging system to assess what each teams average position during this shortened season would be but where we are now is where we belong and if promotion/relegation stands as is so be it.
    No right minded fan can argue that Liverpool are champions or thats Leeds/West Brom deserve to go up...by ars*ng about with the rest of this season we'll bugg*r up nxt year and the Euros....its only a game in the scale of things innit. !!!

7. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    West Brom I'd go with but Leeds messed up spectacularly last season!

8. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed, I just can’t see it ever being completed. Once it goes past the end of June, which it inevitably will, player contracts come into play and then you’ve got a whole new issue, especially in the lower leagues. It’s now a matter of how they fairly finish the season, I’m glad I haven’t got that decision to make because you’ll annoy clubs whatever way you do it. I heard Johnny Jackson who is Assistant Manager at Charlton say this week how they’d just dropped into the relegation zone for the first time just as the season got called off and it seems a bit unfair that they’d be relegated on that basis.

Redhelen likes this.
  9. Ome

Omen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe they run a simulation based on previous years and leeds annual capitulation means they nose dive and miss out.

Redhelen likes this.
  10. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep and that's tough but in reality how many clubs would really be affected, lets say we decide to continue the season in June, what about the players now out of contract, what about the overseas players who may be back in countries that still won't allow travel, not to mention lack of revenue for 3 months to pay the ground staff,catering staff, etc etc that are needed to put the games on.....there's no solution that will not affect some teams even finishing the season. it's nobodies fault it's luck of the draw....I would love a voided season cos we would stay up with a more experienced team.....some would say that's not fair but I do appreciate your point ..

Cowboy likes this.
  11. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sure Fulham would disagree being only 7 points behind with both to play still.

Redhelen likes this.
  12. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seems to be the football fraternity are favouring the averaging system if they have to end the season early.

Redhelen likes this.
  13. Harry Hough

Harry Hough Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can The Premier League and EFL come to different decisions as technically they're two different bodies?