Ryan Kent is going to Leeds

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by ArchieRed, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Map

Mapplewell Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would have liked him back here. He'll only get better and better.

2. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Poor mans brek shea

3. How

HowMuch! Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Perhaps feeling his way in the game .
    Two outstanding moments I saw ...
    His goal against Leeds got me out of my seat ,so unexpected .
    Away at Norwich , second half , thirty yards from our goal , step over shimmy , gone like Calvin Plummer and only a booking challenge stopped him .
    He will get better !

4. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Shame if he is going to Leeds - I would have liked to wish him good luck and sucess in the future, but I cant do that if he is going there.
    There is a decent player in there somewhere and I expect him to have a good career in the Championship, maybe even a lower Prem side, but I cant see him making the Liverpool first team.

5. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They're paying for potential, there's no way anyone can honestly say he showed himself to be a quality championship player last season, there was a few flashes of brilliance but he was very inconsistent & created few chances.

If you were rating all our lads who played a reasonable amount of games I'd say all of Davies, Bree, Yiadom, Angus, Roberts, Scowen, Hourihane, James, Morsy, Winnall & Watkins out performed him.

There was probably only Armstrong, Bradshaw, Hammill & Jones he outperformed.

Wasn't even close to been one of our better players.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think he outperformed hammill, he simply played more games.

7. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's a very young lad who got better and better. The Ryan Kent we sent back to Liverpool was head and shoulders better than the one who came.

His next move is critical for him. If he goes to a club unwilling to give him room for mistakes, inconsistency, or one who expects the finished article and doesn't invest the 1 on 1 time our coaches do with players, then he will stagnate or go backwards In my opinion.

We as a club are fantastic for young players. We accept peaks and troughs in terms of form while players are learning. Knowing that the end result is better for the experience in most cases. Hourihane, Scowen, Mawson, Roberts, Winnall all had some absolute stinkers in their first couple of years. And periods of bad form. We didn't cast them out or leave them on bench to rot - they carried on playing with an increased effort from our coaches to improve them. With fantastic results. At "bigger" clubs they would have been dropped, and left to find their own form or just rot away in reserves. Probably would earn a bit more for a few years though.

Metatarsal and Connor like this.
  8. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Must say I thought Hammill had few outstanding games last season, but scored more than Kent.

9. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The only thing that let him down, and he's not the only one, was his inconsistency, mainly bad decision making. By that, I mean learning when to get the cross in rather than beat your man again, play the pass rather than take a shot (or vice versa) etc. But that'll improve with age and experience. He's a game changer, and like Hammill, I'd rather have someone willing to have a run at opposition defences than play risk free negative football. Yes it's frustrating when it doesn't come off, or they make what we see as the wrong decision, but if you never try...........

Overall I thought we got a good season out of him, and he got the same from us. Easy for me to say, but I think both of our wingers would benefit from a target man up front.

Connor likes this.
  10. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's an interesting post because I was considering posting the opposite.

The Ryan Kent that first came to us was hitting shots from distance left right and centre. Smacked the woodwork with absolute belters a couple of times I think. Within a few months though he was crapping himself when he got into the final third

11. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You can only play as well as the opposition let's you. He showed some good touches and he did well for his goal
    against Leeds but he was way too inconsistent in my opinion.

Jimmy viz likes this.