S.W.O.T. Analysis the verdict.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Donny Red, May 31, 2017.

1. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been collating the postings regarding the SWOT analysis input.
    A total of 84 replies, 5,454 views and input from 17 board members ( thank you).
    Some of us might not agree with some of the suggestions but I hope we can be open to taking some ideas forward. I personally would give my time freely if it helps the Club after all I like many want Premiership football at Oakwell again. When I prepared my presentation for the CM role the new East Stand had just opened and Shaw Carpets were our shirt sponsor. We didn't have PowerPoint back then so I put it on acetates to project onto a screen using an overhead device. Here's what I put in the " Diagnostic" bit.

Establish- Who are our customers/supporters, who has lapsed and why, what can we do to get them back,
    Who could be prospective new customers, supporters.?

Can we- Stimulate more interest, heighten awareness, create a better image, sell our commodity more effectively.?

Using: Newsletters, Exhibitions/ Trade fairs/ Business events/Conferences, Research, Smarter marketing,
    Advertising, Blue chip National sponsorship, better press/public relations, strengthen local business links,
    attract customer support and encourage community links. By projecting the right image we will earn the reputation we deserve. If we are unable to deliver what our customer ( supporter) wants and needs then no amount of hype/PR/ marketing will project images that don't match up.
    Our common goal has to be PREMIERSHIP football for Barnsley FC.
    SWOT analysis results will follow.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Strengths:
    Low cost base , Solvent or/ low debt threshold, well managed, family orientated, cater for the disabled,
    Could be used by any new owner for tax efficiency purposes, TV income, FA Grants, local Company shirt, stand
    sponsorships, cheap to buy by any new owner.

Weakness:
    Not able to build a culture, part owned by BMBC, not attractive/glamorous enough, beat ourselves- negativity- lack of self worth ( fans?), unsustainable risk/ wages, poor catchment area potential ( below national demographic average),
    Inconsistent on field performances, poor customer/community relationships, lack of cash generation without having to sacrifice our resources, difficult to increase prices, not in an affluent area - limited disposable income, poor TV revenue ( SKY), up against local rivals with wealthy owners, teams in League with parachute payments, zero tangible assets could inhibit attractiveness for takeover re- unknown trust set ups, voting rights, covenants etc.
    What could the motive to purchase be re- speculator , rich mans toy.

I'll post Opportunities last cos they are the targets.

Threats:
    Spending beyond our means in an attempt to tread water, move forward, neighbouring clubs- draining support,
    Are we attractive enough for a takeover, threat of relegation due to lack of investment in squad, apathy/negativity,
    Loss of support/loyalty, could be used by new owner for purposes other than taking us forward re- tax/ toy etc.
    Fans might not buy into new owners vision and drift, don't pay the going rate, pay peanuts get monkies ( no disrespect to current squad), might try to boil the ocean re- too many balls in the air.

Opportunities will follow.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wouldn't the biggest weakness be that the club owns zero tangible assets (rather than part owning them as you said)?

Donny Red likes this.
  4. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Opportunities:

Chance to break the mould/ prime the pump.
    Make Oakwell a fortress where the opposition hate to come and don't want to be.
    Be more visible, audible, show our passion and determination more.
    Have someone compose a Club anthem ( like Stairfoot randabart for example but with a football / Barnsley theme).
    Better more stirring walk on music on match days.
    Larger effective scoreboards with video re-play facility both ends of the ground.
    Run against the herd, do things differently than other clubs by:
    Sweating our assets better e.g create space to host annual conferences, meetings for businesses.
    Host Trade shows, Festivals, Concerts, Specially themed markets.
    Look at a Supporters Social Club. Wigan Rugby League Club have a Presidents lounge. For a charge members can have a meal/buffet and then after the game , family can join them to enjoy a live show involving local acts.
    Make hospitality/ entertainment cheaper and more widely affordable/available to grass root fans.
    Use floodlit training pitches to run midweek Youth/ pub / Club 5 a- side League extended to pool ladders in the Social club re- spending their money at Oakwell . Annual Social night with certificates, cups, medals at end of competitions.
    Offer a unique course/ residential for participants in the Duke of Edinburghs Award. The Princes Trust will give Young people £3 k each to spend on courses, training ,residentials towards the Skills/Service element of the scheme at Bronze, Silver and Gold levels. Currently a quarter of a million young people are involved in the scheme. Could use the Metrodome for other activities re- Badminton, swimming , gymnastics, diving, aerobics etc in partnership with BPL to help them gain their award.
    ( I was a Gold award leader for 20 years it's a fantastic scheme- gets kids off the streets.)
    Stage presentations of Bronze and Silver certificates and badges on the field at half time ( family members would come along to support). For Gold make a big thing of our players accompanying the recipients attending Buckingham Palace to recieve their Gold award from William, Princes Charles or Philip.
    Improve our links with local businesses. Form a local consortium to buy goods in common use together including gas and electricity. Can be linked/ promoted via Barnsley Business and Innovation Centre ( BBIC) at Wilthorpe.
    Start a Supporters/ citizens of Barnsley thrift scheme using local suppliers re- Argos, B&Q etc.
    Ask Council to mail a questionnaire out with Register of electors forms to find out why people have lapsed/ what would it take to bring you back/ what would you like to see happen/ would you take out a subscription towards a members draw.? Do you want to join the thrift scheme. ? Club could get a proportion of the discount on offer( same as deal we once had with Barnsley Building Soc.)
    As part of the Members Social Club idea start a scheme where members pay a set figure each month.
    Depending on take up , pay a set figure to a member following a monthly draw. Hold back a proportion to pay for a special prize e.g. a luxury family holiday.

Attract sponsorship for some quality prizes. Hold a big Xmas Draw and one in the close season re- June?
    For example a "Stop the watch draw." Buy a top quality watch. Wind it up and put it in the club safe. Sell tickets based on guessing what time it will stop re- hour, minute, second. Nearest guess wins the luxury holiday . Watch goes to second nearest guess.
    Give Club a slice of what's raised or sponsor a player of the month award. That way players have an incentive to play well.
    Each member gets a vote.
    Attempt to attract blue chip National sponsor (s) who wants to join in on our journey.

Pick out a player every month and inspire them with our support ( remember Ooh Gerry Gerry).??
    Issue a Monthly newsletter. Topical news involving Club and fans activities.
    Regular sponsorship events to raise money for the Club.

It's not a smokescreen- it's a mirror. Let's come together to fuel the vision of a return to the Premiership.
    And finally can we get any traction to get supporter representation on a committe/ board or contact with our marketeers to help foster and deliver some of the grass root fans ideas because what's in place at the moment doesn't seem to cater/ work for everyone who supports the Club.

If some of the suggestions put forward are already in place it demonstrates that our present networking/ communication networks are not working as effectively as they could.

Thanks to two mates I used to work with who on seeing my Avatar on BBS sent me their ideas by e-mail.
    I have embedded some of the ideas I thought of all those years ago when I was preparing the CM presentation because they still hold true to this very day.
    And finally thanks again to all board members who let me have their suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

Extremely Northern and Rosco like this.
  5. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree ST . Can't find the original thread to establish who put that forward.

6. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't find original. I've put your form of words in ST. Cheers.