Selby Town....

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by selby, Jan 5, 2019.

1. sel

selby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Went down with my two lads today who are 2 and 5 to go watch my local side and what a game it was 4 up at half time and 7 nil in the end.

Just got me thinking about how much expense I go to following Barnsley all over the country and how much I enjoyed it today and it's only a 10 minute stroll from my house.

The attendance was only around 180-200 mainly home fans and a few from shirebrook all mingling together and having a beer at half time.

The smell of muscle rub from the changing rooms a bloke smoking a cigar and the food cooking in the club house took me back to the early 90s when I first attended oakwell and fell in love with it.

I used to read on here about athersley and Shaw Lane and didn't really get why people went but for £5 entry and another £3.80 for 2 hot dogs for kids and a coffee you cant really knock it.

The kids loved it and I'll be taking them again when Barnsley aren't at home or away and I cant go.

dayglored, Kettlewell, Connor and 5 others like this.
  2. Ste

Steve Wood Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally agree. Been watching more and more non league football over the last few years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Shaw Lane, Athersley Rec, Frickley, FC United and more recently Worsbrough Bridge. When mega bucks owners failed to cut the prices at Oakwell despite relegation I decided not to renew my season ticket. I've been to a few games, but £27 entry always makes me think twice and more often than not I've opted for a non league game and never regretted it... 2-2 Worsbrough Bridge vs Harworth Colliery today. A great game and great value for money.

Sopwith Camel, Kettlewell and selby like this.
  3. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I always enjoy watching local football at all sorts of ages apart from shaw lane who were a poaching set of underneathing ***** hawks.
    Do it tomorrow, doesn’t matter where you live, go and watch a game. You’ll be surprised by the standard.

Tyke Far From Home and selby like this.
  4. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've watched loads theses past few years. It's nice to watch a match without being tied up in knots about who wins. The standard of football often surprises even if it's just one or two players who are a cut above.
    I went to watch Glenavon v Institute over Christmas. Nice ground, cracking 3-3 draw and a few decent players. I noticed that one of the Glenavon lads signed for Oxford United yesterday.

P.s. It was £11 entry but the gateman just charged us a tenner and, though they don't sell programmes any more the guy in the shop offered to find an old one for free and gave me a free car sticker.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    selby and Sopwith Camel like this.