Selling players to promotion rivals, do we have a choice ?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Ripper, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Ripper

Ripper Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    i don’t think we do, if we want to keep progressing as we intend to, the plan is to have a high turnover of players, to keep money coming into the club, some will be sold for profit some given away to make room for the next batch and so on.
    Recently we’ve loaned out and sold two fringe players to promotion rivals, which we probably had to do due to having to stay within SCMP & FFP rules, I can’t see anyone above league one taking these players, I can’t see the players themselves taking a massive pay cut, and I can’t see any club outside the top six being able to pay the wages we do, so in my opinion we had two choices, sell two players who are not in the head coaches future plans to promotion rivals, so we can reinvest in new players, or keep players deemed surplus to requirements so we’re not selling to promotion rivals, and in turn not freshening up the squad. as I say I don’t think we had a choice we had to do it to keep the ball rolling.

2. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To explore this debate further, one question could be ...would we sign Moncur and Izzy right now to strengthen our team if they weren't playing for us?

3. Sam

SambaTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have little issue with either player leaving as for differing reasons their time here seemed to be coming to a close. Their destinations aren't ideal but again, they weren't getting into our side so it doesn't feel like we've unduly strengthened our rivals (I do think Moncur will excel at Luton mind). They were both sensible moves and felt right, despite the divisional standing of the club's they've joined, and in agree there were limited clubs likely to be in the market for those players. The key for me is always the replacements. Can we improve our team with replacement signings? Can we use the money to enhance what we've got? This is what remains to be seen and with only a day left of the window, it's looking less likely we'll strengthen considerably. No issue with those players leaving, slightly disappointed with the recruitment so far (with all due respect to Green who looks decent and can develop).

Connor likes this.
  4. Ripper

Ripper Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Obviously not at 25&26 years of age they no longer fit into our recruitment policy.

5. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hopefully the Pompey fans will give Isgrove hell for being a scummer and they'll implode even more than they are doing.

6. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some weeks ago from conversations some of our fans had at an away game,
    Paul Conway said that we ( the supporters) would be very pleased with the signings
    made during this window. To me, that statement inferred either one or some "quality"
    signings. The window closes tomorrow. Let's hope we hang on to all the players we
    have at the Club, and we see one or two additions being made.

7. Dar

Darfield138 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a good way of putting it.

However, another way is that both players may earn both rival teams five or six points (Moncur is much more likely) which may be a crucial margin. Luton already have 2 more points than if we hadnt sold him. So, would be be willing to pay £250,000 to dock Luton six points? We would if they get automatic from us by five points, it will look a very expensive £250k if that happens. I really hope it doesnt, but why run the risk??

8. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have no problem selling either as long as you replaced them with an upgrade. If not you have weakened yourself and however marginally strengthened your opponents.

9. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we get to midnight tonight with the same players we have now I think it would have been a successful window, Isgrove went but he hasn't pulled up any tree's and can't get in the match day squad, Moncur flattered to deceive and wasn't a regular and Potts as much as I liked him I think we are more than capable in covering that position with the players we already have. To hopefully still have Moore, Pinnock, Mowatt, Lindsay and a few more ( the spine of the team ) then I will be more than happy compared to previous years of what could be described as a Viking rape and pillage mission by other clubs, all opinions of course. Role on bloody midnight. COYR

10. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Conversely Luton play moncur thinking how great he is and he goes missing for most of the game and costs them points. Swings and roundabouts.

11. Row

Row Z Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Another way is that both players get a run of games and be largely ineffective as they were with us. This keeps other players out their team who could earn them more than the 5 or 6 points you state. That would work in our favour.

Of course, in the real world you can’t really make either case because football matches are unpredictable, it doesn’t take into account the actions of the other 10 players on the pitch and you have no way of knowing how those matches would have panned out without those players being there.

If we win every game between now and the end of the season we will go up automatically, regardless of what other teams do.

Redhelen likes this.