Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley: Rivals?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by OnGoingCloud1887, Oct 24, 2017.

1. OnGoingCloud1887

OnGoingCloud1887 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From our side they're simply a club down the road who are riddled with outrageous arrogance & delusion, which is why we hate them so much. Myself and many Reds fans despise absolutely everything to do with that club. That's it, end of story. It's not trying to make a rivalry as they may say, just the way we feel.

On their side it's a mixed bag. I've seen some that openly hate us and some (similar to Leeds) that are clearly hiding behind this nonsense agenda that they are a huge mega power who can't be seen to be making rivals with small town clubs. On the whole though it's plainly obvious that they care about us a lot more than some let on. 3,000 voting yes to a poll saying 'was it worth buying Winnall just to score against Barnsley', about 8,000 a few years ago ranking us the highest in a 'top rivals apart from Blades' poll. Making stickers, songs, nicknames about us. Trolling about our club on social media every single week.

It is a rivalry. Two clubs who clearly don't like eachother, two clubs who are very close to eachother and two clubs who play eachother all the time. That is a football rivalry whatever anyone says.

2. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would like us to win. I don't like them.

Personally, though, Sheffield United are the ones I hate. The relegation party was one of the happiest days of my life.

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's definitely a rivalry, it's not as big or intense as their rivalry with the blunts but that doesn't preclude there being a rivalry with us.

4. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a difficult one this. I do think our 'rivalry' is much less to do with football but more, much more to do with the fact that their supporters are clones: they are all the same type, they will all tell you that they will be in the premier league next season and europe the next. They have been telling me that for the last few years. A very odd bunch indeed.
    In fact i find them extremely 'cultish': yes i said cultish.

5. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Depends where you're from. If you're a Wednesday fan and live and work in the city centre you probably don't meet too many Barnsley fans day to day. If you're a Barnsley fan from Hoyland you probably work woth loads of the blue and white arseholes.

6. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Isn't the Queens pub a Wednesday pub?

7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be honest as much as I don't like them I stayed down at Wembley with family when we played millwall. They had played hull the day before as we were checking in many of their fans were checking out at least 3 different groups of Wednesday fans said "good luck" and "hoping for barnsley away next season" which was nice after they had bottled it the day before.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  8. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nope I don’t think of them as rivals. Think they probably do as they don’t have the premier league side tag anymore so they want to seem superior.

9. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No. Ive little hatred or interest in them. Their self delusion amuses me.

10. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Presumably the Tweet from our official account re Sheffield FC is a dig both SWFC and SUFC. I'm not particularly arsed about that sort of content as it just reminds me of the "that club" stuff that was then disputed/removed, etc. I'm not sure why that sort of stuff is signed off to be honest.

11. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's embarrassing. Fair enough for wishing a happy birthday and the 'oldest club' comment if that is true but the 'biggest' comment was just daft. I think they forget they speak for all of our fans at times and when they say something like that it makes us all look petty rather than just the person who runs the twitter account.

12. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it’s both funny and probably correct to say that they are the biggest club in Sheffield ( in terms of being known throughout the football world).

13. MappRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's just a thinly veiled dig at SWFC and SUFC when none was needed. I doubt that GG or anyone on the board would back such a post. It's counter productive imho and as you say it makes us look poor.

14. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We don't have a rivalry as such. Sheffield clubs do because they are from the same city. Rotherham/Donny do as league1/league 2 regulars. That's it really.

15. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

It's only banter calm down..

Spuggy likes this.
  16. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They are our only rivals

17. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it's funny how little they are. Been around longer than anyone but never come close to achieving anything. Not looked like league football or getting in the FA Cup first round proper. Never been so much money in non league football. Plenty of clubs like Shaw Lane, Salford, FC United Of Manchester, Billericy Town etc are aiming high with owners that can fund it. You'd think being known as the oldest football team in the world would have got them some investment from somewhere in the world to try and get up the leagues. They don't even play in Sheffield. For all the moaning Sheffield fans do at ticket prices on Radio Sheffield, Sheffield FC only get a few hundred. If United/Wednesday fans are that annoyed at 30-40 quid a ticket they should be getting their main non league club a four figure crowd for every home game.

18. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was in a small Sri Lanakan Village once trying to have a conversation with some locals about Football. Of course they had never heard of Barnsley the club or the place. So we talked about Sheffield. Immediately they knew that Sheffield FC ‘invented football’ when I asked them about united and Wednesday once again blank faces. Same was true in Cambodia and Laos. You would be surprised who had heard of them. They are happy being them and don’t want the professional route and good look to them.

19. Cam

Cambridge Red Well-Known Member

Geek
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seriously? It's just a bit of tongue in cheek ribbing. For a start it is aimed at raising a smile from our fans. There's no malice in it, if anything it comes across to me as the kind of p*ss taking you do to a friend. Don't think for one moment it was meant to be taken as a proper dig.

Spuggy likes this.
  20. MappRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Each to their own, I suppose.