Should we provide a logo for the club to add to the options?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Gally, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Not sure if they would but it seems reading on here and speaking to people at the match today their are enough people unhappy with the choices available.

I was thinking if could raise a little bit of cash we could come up with a brief and get one of the crowd sourcing design websites to come up with some ideas for us.

If you don't know how this works, you pay a fixed amount of money for a logo design and give them a spec and then lots of designers provide their take on your spec. The one we select as a winner gets the fee.

Anyone got any thoughts??

I've used http://www.crowdspring.com/ before and my mate has used http://99designs.co.uk/logo-designand got good results.

It would probably cost somewhere in the region of $300-$400 and we would probably get upwards of 40 designs to look at.

Anyone game?

2. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seems a reasonable idea. Just a couple of initial comments from me.

I don't think we need a brief, I think we have one. The new brand concept seems fine to me, and it says all the right things. It's just the designs that are gash, and don't actually deliver what the brand concept says.

Second thing, I think c40 designs is too many. There is such a thing as too much choice, and I think it would be difficult to find an overwhelming majority vote.

3. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I can't see the club going with that idea Gally as they'll be shelling out a decent chunk of money for the branding process and the cost of building the site for voting, must surely be a 5 figure sum at Leeds creative rates (if that's where the agency is based).

It looks like a fait accompli to me. Especially seeing as all the design elements are explained that make up option D.

Personally i'd go back to the club and suggest there has been a lot of negative comment and could three additional designs be put forward and the voting restarted. And perhaps be bolder and a bit more radical but offer distinctive choices instead of the same theme rehashed.

4. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    You could be right but it would be a shame to go with something that isn't good enough for our football club and if you don't ask you don't get.

5. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think its a good idea

6. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I agree it would be a terrible shame if something substandard was out forward.

What may have been useful (if they can't adopt this going forward) are focus groups to test concepts with in the design phase. Issues with the red rose, the gold theme, perhaps different motto's (do Barnsley people really want latin in this day and age?) would have been picked up and style concepts could have been tested quickly.

You'll never please everyone with something so subjective, but I do think if they go with the best option of a bad bunch it could be counter productive and impact on merchandise sales next year

7. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's not a logo though. That would be like KFC with a B. To think of it as a single brand symbol is all wrong. If the challenge is to design a new club crest, there is a whole tradition and history in that. Every shape and symbol has a significance. And I wouldn't go anywhere near an online logo site with a barge-pole. It'll be just another arsehole with a PC. It's obvious that is what the club has already done.

Give the job to Redinburgh, if he wants it. He at least, is a designer. A very talented and accomplished one at that.

8. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My brother is a qualified graphic designer of 20 years...I wouldn't want the pressure though :)
    Oh...and he also thinks they're abysmal. Laughed when he saw them

9. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Gally, picking up from MrC's comment... has the club ever compiled a list of fans with business interests, skills, expertise in different areas? I'm sure there are plenty of people who if called could offer their time and expertise at either a discounted rate, cost of materials/ expenses or even gratis.

It would save the club money, and could result in a better job as it would be performed by people who actually care and have an interest in the club doing well. Just a thought

10. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair to the Club, they've gone to a creative agency. They've done the right thing. They've just been given a $hit proposal, from someone who knows **** all about our Club and apparently **** all about design.

Maybe we've paid peanuts, I dunno...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  11. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Redinburgh's your man.

12. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I floated them by a dozen people or so I know who support other teams. Objective people who you can have a good discussion with.

The most receptive positive comment was along the lines of "I'd be embarrassed if they were for my club"

13. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why whats actually embarrassing about them.

14. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    That was their comment not mine.

I just find them dated and unimaginative personally.

15. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally unsuitable, or completely unacceptable, are the phrases I would go for :)

16. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Or we've given them a very poor (or no) brief which they've delivered against.

17. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Something along the lines of the one Jay came up with last night?

18. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah but stuff paying some wannabe graphic designer over the odds to design one, I'm sure there is plenty of talent reading this board right now who would happily come up with some good options free gratis.

19. Spirit Ditch

Spirit Ditch Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think they're abysmal- embarrassing and cheesily corporate. They need to be much more simple in my opinion. Why are they all so red when we have a red shirt? The shapes of the crest and patterns are so dated.

I think this is potentially a really nice idea, but why not ask fans to design some of the options before putting it to the vote, especially given the talent out there? In that sense I support Gally's idea

20. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I recognise nothing of BFC in those designs tbh in fact I'd carry on wearing gear with old symbols on than buy anything with that lot on its not good enough to carry the club and our football community forward. Would much rather keep the present one if those are the choices

IMO its the civic Hall clock scenario all over again