Should Wimbledon have had a player sent off?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Burgundy Red, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Burgundy Red

Burgundy Red Well-Known Member

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I was watching the replay of the incident when Lindsay's (?) header was supposedly cleared off the line. The defending doing the clearing is hanging off the nets in order to do so. My understanding was that this was against the rules of the game and that using the structure of the goals in this way came under the bracket of "Unsporting behaviour", a vague recollection which nonetheless seems to be supported by a few pages I've looked at including this article. As a deliberate foul that denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity that would presumably therefore have resulted in a red card. I can't find any more definitive statement of the rule itself though. Does anyone know for sure, just to satisfy my curiosity?

Here it is again.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  2. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not really as he wasn't hanging off the net to support himself. He jumped with his hands in the air (as did our player) and his hand makes contact with the netting but he's never hanging off it or supporting himself by it he simply drags the netting down with his fingers.

The rule you're talking about refers more to hanging off the crossbar which pulls the bar down in the centre and makes the net slightly smaller. Pulling part of the netting down with your trailing hand doesn't do the same thing

3. Burgundy Red

Burgundy Red Well-Known Member

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Thanks @SuperTyke. I did read something on Reddit that said "according to the Laws of the Game, its explicitly stated that a player can not use external instruments or equipment, etc to gain an advantage in the play." which I would have thought covered this but I'm not sure I'd call that a reliable source. I do personally think he uses the net for support though.

4. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s a video doing the rounds on Facebook that is the view across the goal line from the stand. Doesn’t look like the ball goes over on that video and it offers much greater clarity than the official highlights.

Touching of the net doesn’t give any benefit or advantage to Wimbledon in my opinion.

5. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They can't. For example you can't pull the corner flag towards you to make the ball go round it for a corner instead of a throw-in. Can't place a water bottle on the pitch for the ball to hit or take your boot off and throw it at the ball (I'm sure that somebody did that before they brought the rule in). If he was deliberately hanging off the net to head the ball you're right it would be a foul and at least a booking but in the instance yesterday it was simply him reaching up and only dragged the net down on his way back down. He didn't gain an advantage from it and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a deliberate attempt to gain an advantage.

Have however seen plenty of keepers including Davies pull the bar down in the middle when a shot comes over. They're on dodgy ground with that one