Sol Campbell

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Skryptic, May 1, 2018.

1. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I always thought he was talking nonsense when he claimed that he wasn't getting opportunities because of the colour of his skin. Perhaps he is. But if Steven Gerrard and Phil Neville can get jobs for doing nothing then he absolutely should have been offered something by somebody at some point. I still think he should start at the bottom, but how can those two get such high profile jobs?

2. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Attitude probably goes a long way, Sol upset a lot of people with his

Googs likes this.
  3. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Probably that.chip on his shoulder getting in the way

Googs and North Yorkshire Tyke like this.
  4. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gerrard has been coaching the under 18s at Liverpool for a while and Neville has already coached at Man Utd and Valencia. What’s Campbell done?

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If job offers are based on the quality of your CV alone the Sol Campbell is as good as Gerrard. Attitude never stopped Roy Keane getting jobs either.

When you see the same failed managers getting job after job you do have to wonder if there is something more sinister going on.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  6. Dod

DodworthRover Well-Known Member

Steel Worker
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Look where it got Nigel spackman

7. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sol Campbell always comes across as totally arrogant & his attitude shone through big time at Notts County, plus its not so long since he was advocating becoming a tory MP, come on , who on earth wants a potential tory MP as the manager of your club , minds you , the wage bill would be slashed , everyone would be on minimum wage !

North Yorks Red, Googs and shed131 like this.
  8. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You mean zero hours contracts...you don't play you dont get paid lol

Googs and Red CB like this.
  9. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just an opinion but from this century the 3 most well known black / mixed race footballers have been Rio, Sol Campbell & Ashley Cole. Whether it’s right or wrong they are the benchmark & all 3 have at different stages come across as people you wouldn’t trust to run your football club. I’ve no doubt that’s had a massive impact on the chances of other black & mixed race coaches.

Gerrard comes across as more natural leader & an intelligent bloke who I’d trust running my football club. Gerrard as a player was able to get the best out of his team mates, you’ve only to look at the Champions League runs in 2005 & 2007. He’s gone in with the Liverpool under 18’s & done a superb job.

Where this theory falls down is Joey Barton & Fleetwood.

I think ultimately most of it comes down to who you know. Gerrard knows the Rangers owner who’s a massive Liverpool fan. Joey Barton spent time training at Fleetwood & knows the owner there.

10. Dar

Dartonred1990 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    After reading Joey Barton’s book I’ve a bit of a soft spot for him. Good appointment by fleetwood. He’s a fairly big name, tremendous work ethic. How many more technically talented players than him have had not even half as good as career. If you read his book I guarantee you’ll change your opinion.
    2018 now and I must say I get sick of hearing about no black coaches this that and the other. It wasn’t so long ago there weren’t many black or foreign players in English football and now look. Football Authorities need to stop pushing it and just let its run it’s natural course. Soon these black players will retire and we’ll see a big increase in the number of black coaches as they take that route.
    More chance of seeing sol Campbell run for labour in Darton West than manage in premier league

11. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Steven Gerrard and Phil Neville have all held good coaching positions, Sol Campbell hasn't.

If we're talking about Joey Barton, then there's something there. A lot of clubs don't like Campbell because of the way he is. If It was someone like Chris Hughton or Keith Curle, I'd listen.

North Yorkshire Tyke likes this.
  12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think you might be right about it being who you know rather than what you know in the case of Gerrard and Barton but when you look at the bigger picture I do wonder if there is some element of racial bias, even if is unconscious.

It's really good to see Darren Moore getting an opportunity at West Brom and I hope he gets the opportunity extended in a permanent capacity.

I used to look at the likes of John Barnes and Paul Ince and think the reason they were overlooked was because they were just poor managers but time and time again clubs have given jobs to managers who have been just as bad but over longer periods of time which undermined my theory completely.

I'm not convinced that clubs are intentionally racist in their recruitment process but I think there is some evidence to support an unwillingness to recruit black managers. Hopefully this will change and jobs will start being given on merit rather than the questionable factors that appear to prevail at present.

Django, Merde Tete and Jimmy viz like this.
  13. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Barnes wasn't overlooked. He failed big time at Celtic culminating in that defeat to Inverness Caledonia Thistle. Who fails at Celtic?

14. lan

lannoy Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    he has terrible PR skills

BFC Dave likes this.
  15. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didnt he or dwight yorke. Cant recall which. Once kick off cos they didnt get an interview at a club...

Only for the club to turn round and say well you never applied so how are we supposed to know how interested you are?

Sols got the ideal job waiting for him minds...

16. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    The next decade will show how racist football is through its actions or lack of. There has been more diversity in football over the last decade with overseas money being ploughed in, and many foreign players plying their trade, so you'd expect that increasing pool of black and international players to translate into black coaches and black managers going forward.

There is of course the issue of inherent racism not only in many quarters of football, but also from the nations that now represent ownership of our football clubs.

China, America, Spain, Italy and Russia all have well known cultural issues. It just so happens many of our clubs are now owned, or are managed by those nations. Of course it doesn't follow that a coach, owner or influencer from those countries has a racist bias, but we'll see what happens in time if we see more black players and coaches.

The last census (2011) showed the UK white demographic to make up 81.9%. Recent reports suggest by 2050, the number may be more like 50%. If football isn't racist, it should be much similar to UK national representation than it currently is, and really, should be more representative of the football player audience.

17. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think whatever the color/race of the player when it comes to management, talent , attitude plus personality go a long way.
    IMHO Sol is one of the most unlikeable arrogant of the lot ( just based on interviews etc) and John Barnes was dire when given the chance.
    I would take a bet now though that the color of his skin isn't an impediment to big Darren's future management career.

18. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't he stand as a Tory MP recently.. ?
    Funny how Ian Wright Barnes and Cambell are all bigThatcherite Tory fanz yet complain about racism.(??) Uncle Toms much

19. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Whilst I'm not denying that there is the possibility of the football industry suffering from institutionalised racism at some levels, Sol Campbell being one of the weirdest ****** on God's earth has something to do with him not getting a top managerial job.

Duntpasstome likes this.