Some one explain

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by BMW, Feb 26, 2017.

1. BMW

BMW Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've read and heard one or two people saying that the board didn't /wouldn't support P.H in the transfer window.I find this very hard to believe.Where did this come from?.

2. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Young Nudger.

3. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

What board?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

4. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    More like couldn't.

5. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It is merely an assumption. They would have you believe that its based on the "facts" as they see them, that they didn't keep what they had already got or didn't bring a 20 goal a season striker to replace Winnall, didn't bring in promotion contending midfielders to replace Hourihane and Morsy and also didn't bring in a top end full back full back to replace Bree. They also wish believe that the board did nothing to improve the contractual situation of many of the players hence the departures. They seem to think it is a one way with the club in charge and the player having a take it or leave it option.

I prefer read the same facts as follows: I believe that Winnall's replacement was already here in Bradshaw but the club did intimate that another striker was almost through the door, Hourihane's replacement is Mowatt, James for Morsy and Gethin Jones for Bree.
    I doubt that we will ever get to know what other replacements were approached and no doubt the Linton Brown situation was a hindrance.

To suggest that Hecky was not supported is piffle, yes he may not have got all that he asked for but people seldom do. It is almost certain that there were other influencing factors that we are not aware of.

6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Paul heckingbottoms opinion:
    “With the timing of contracts, the quality of people leaving – and we have rose so quickly – we may have to take a step back to go forward. I hate that, and honestly it’s driving me mad."

“I have said to every player, I don’t want to sell and you won’t be going anywhere. “But what does happen, if money comes in from a club - and the fee is big enough - that turns the owner’s head"

Jamie clapham also said that they couldn't bring any players in that were within 'certain parameters'

7. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Hecky intimated it as above. Given the progress made this season I'm sure it can be sorted out in the summer.

8. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't forget we started the season with Bradshaw and winnall as our strike partnership

9. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For years one of the main grumbles from fans was that we never seemed to sign replacements before selling anyone. For example, signing Tony Cunningham (September 1982) to replace Trevor Aylott (sold June 1982), signing Paul McGugan (October 1987) to replace Larry May (sold February 1987) & signing Arjan De Zeeuw (November 1995) to replace Gerry Taggart (sold August 1995). Now we bring in the replacements first (Bradshaw for Winnall, Jones for Bree) and the club is still in the wrong.:D

10. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I might be going a bit senile but weren't Bradshaw and Winnall (rather than Bradshaw or Winnall) our first choice strike partnership when we sold him. Im pretty sure I'm not yet that senile though I did put the ketchup in the sink and the plate in the cupboard the other day.

11. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Thing is mate, how do you sign a replacement for someone you paid very little for and nurtured over part of 3 seasons, without spending loads of money?

People seem to think that hourihane (for example) was an overnight success, so we sold him and haven't replaced him like for like.

We don't sign finished articles, we make them. It's as simple as that really.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

12. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We don't bring in like for like replica, but we DO bring in replacements.

13. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As I said, we now appear to try and bring in replacements before a player is sold. Perhaps we ought to sell our players and wait a few months before bringing in a replacement for them like we've done in years past.:D

14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I understand the point and Ryan Hedges for Marley Watkins seems to be a great example of that. I'm not sure a team who play with two centre forwards would have planned to end up with just one to choose from and a loanee. I'm not sure we can say that Bradshaw was a direct replacement for Winnall when they were playing together. If you say that then you still need a replacement for Bradshaw... Jones looks a promising young player but possibly not quite ready to play regular football at Championship level a summer's worth of training ( if we sign him) should sort that out. In years gone by I don't recall us having to buy a whole new team every other summer times have changed.

15. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I understand all that, old mate. I'm simply offering up an alternative viewpoint.

16. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't get people saying Bradshaw was a replacement for Winnall either. Unless we bought Bradshaw in January and that wasn't him in the Bradshaw shirt for the first four months of the season. Bradshaw was the Fletcher replacement. If he was the Winnall replacement then we still need another striker to replace Fletcher.

17. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So a replacement can only be regarded as such if he comes in after a player has been sold? No other viewpoint is allowed?

18. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I rarely disagree with owt you say to be fair and investing in replacement is of course a great plan and I can see it working well at Oakwell. Hedges for Watkins looks like very shrewd forward planning. I just think the Bradshaw thing is stretching that. We play with 2 forwards when we signed Bradshaw we had 2 forwards with league experience so I can't see how 1 of those 2 was a replacement. If Winnall was definitely staying would we have not bothered getting a partner and got him to play both!

19. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No worries, old mate. Just because we don't agree on this issue doesn't mean I've lost my respect for you and your opinions. I definitely haven't. Personally, I believe we're far stronger now than we were fifteen months ago. I feel that our quality coaching staff have shown time and again with a great number of players how they can improve the lads both individually and within the team structure. I see no reason why they won't continue down that particular road with the newer players.
    Perhaps I'm looking through rose tinted specs, but I don't believe we've reached the end of our journey under Paul Heckingbottom. If it means we're going to continue our progression with some new players, so be it.
    You're still one of my favourite posters on here and if I've given you a different impression to that, then I can only apologise, as that was never my intention.

20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Completely agree about Hecky and the team and like you I think the journey is far from over. I think we have had a bit of a bump in the road and given the daft money others spend it's understandable. I also think we will move forwards stronger and better in the summer possibly as a result if the bump. In terms of forward planning we have Kpekawa to come in. For some reason I think he will be a good player for us by next season.

Onwards and upwards