Something that has always annoyed/frustrated me (yes surprisingly something does)

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by SuperTyke, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is when somebody is trying to raise money (generally for a charity) and are trying to get as much money as possible for an item or maybe even an experience/service and that item/experience/service is aimed at the average person, not at rich people, yet they choose to hold an auction instead of a raffle.

They aim it at the common man and then price them out ensuring that only those with money will be able to benefit. In my opinion that isn't what charity is about.

2. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which "item/experience/service is aimed at the average person"? Rich people like to do stuff too. Surely charity auctions are about making the most amount of money for the charity?

3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I mean things such as for example things aimed at football fans or items where even in an auction would only raise £100/£200. These kind of things would raise just as much in a raffle in my opinion if not more.

Last season somebody held an auction for a golf day with Jason Shackell, it raised about a tenner or something. How much would it have raised at a quid a ticket in a raffle? I bet it would have been a lot more.

BFC are auctioning off two tshirts worth about a tenner. What's the point in that? They'd raise far more in a raffle.