Southend's Physio

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Xerxes, Nov 3, 2018.

1. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's making statements and then passing them off as fact that is irritating me.

2. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Your right I was making the assumption that no doctor would prescribe medication that would make you as overweight as the Southend Physio who looked like he was going collapse after jogging the width of the pitch.
    I Could well be wrong about that and I hold my hands up it was assumption.
    My wider (excuse the pun) issue is that in society now it seems to be taboo to suggest to people that eating themselves to death is a bad idea.

3. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Titus McGee "It's making statements and then passing them off as fact that is irritating me."

If that is aimed at me then the statement 'obesity is caused by intake of calories in excess of the energy being expended resulting in that excess energy being stored in the form of fat' is not being simplistic. It IS a simple, indisputable fact. You don't need to be a dietary expert to understand that. No organism can create energy from absolutely nothing. If you know of one, Congratulations! you may well be on the way to discovering the solution to the World energy crisis. A Nobel prize beckons .-)

You fail to acknowledge the damage and cost to society of these people who take the attitude "he like pies and doesn't care". Obesity is now considered a very close second to smoking as a major drain on the NHS.

However, what is also a fact that there ARE many complex reasons why people find themselves obese. Also a fact is that all those underlying issues can be resolved with self help/ medical intervention and guidance. NO one is incurable regarding obesity.

Final fact. Abusing, humiliating publicly is NOT acceptable but neither is being an apologist for the huge numbers of obese people in society.

4. Chabuddy_G69

Chabuddy_G69 Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jesus people are so precious these days. Next ve’ll be looking into referee’s backgrounds and diet after chanting vanker at him for a few seconds.

It vas jokingly on Saturday and he even got clapped by most in the ponty on his vay round. If he’s that bothered then something like that should spur him on to do something about his veight.

5. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Errr I failed to acknowledge a lot of things in my post - my post was about it being unacceptable to poke fun at someone for being overweight especially when we have no idea what the reasons are.

But to answer that specifically yes there are costs to society caused by people being overweight but whats your point exactly there are many things that cause costs to society - but overweight people are also putting money into local butchers bakers Greggs etc and if they die earlier they save money on pensions and other healthcare needs.

What do you suggest compulsory monitoring of diets and excersize regimes for anyone over their ideal weight?

6. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But that's your example which is personal to you.

My experience is completely different. I broke my knee and did my cruciate. I spent to about two months laid up then had light physio. I sustained the injury at the end of August and would say I didn't do any meaningul exercise for about eight months. In that time I ended up with one leg half the size of the other and a backside as flat as a pancake. I didn't gain weight though.

I am completely against abusing people for their weight - disgraceful behaviour. At the same time we should not absolve people from personal responsibility. There will be people with slower metabolisms or people on medication and this may affect their weight. However, the vast majority are either over eating or not doing enough exercise. Or both.

7. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Lighten up! (sorry - pun unintended). Sorry, most of my gripe was at Mr Magee (except I seemed to pick out two things in your post I disagreed with) Oops!! as he accused people of "making statements and passing them off as facts" ( err many were statements of facts )
    I think most of the posters including myself agree it is unacceptable to poke fun at strangers in public places for any reason when you do not know the full circumstances.

I do like your idea of 'Death by Pie' as a means of saving public money at the same time stimulating the local economy though.;) Eat our way out of austerity .....Hmmmm!!!!

Farnham_Red likes this.
  8. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is all a bit handbags at 10 paces now.

Some good points were made earlier in the thread though....