Southgate on Russia

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Skryptic, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43508584

Bloke is delusional. People saw what happened in France, groups of them running around filming it all. They will target English people, families, anybody in an England shirt, and if you try to defend yourself you will be arrested and put into Russian prison, and in the current diplomatic climate you will be out in about five years. If you go to Russia this summer you need your head testing, if you take your family there's no test needed, you're insane.

2. Red

Red Mosquito Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm of the opinion that people involved in football come from another planet.

Russia isn't the most welcoming place for Brits at the best of times and the Foreign Buffoon is doing his level best to make it far worse.

I think he forgets that consistant cuts to the armed forces has left us with half a dozen home guards and a Sopwith Camel.

John Peachy and Red Adair like this.
  3. Ste

Stevethejoiner Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

4. Ste

Steve Wood Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Southgate comes across really well. Unfortunately his squad isn’t that great and England will probably struggle again. I agree though, as a supporter I wouldn’t go anywhere near Russia...

Kettlewell likes this.
  5. Barnsley Chopin

Barnsley Chopin Well-Known Member

Egghead
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Both times I've been to Russia I found the people very warm and welcoming! They have a natural demeanour that on the whole makes the look miserable and unfriendly (our Russian hosts proffered this opinion) but once you speak to them they are just like any other human. It's a fascinating place to visit - if I had the spare cash is be there this summer. If you have tickets for the world cup there is a visa waiver - saving you 100 quid.

6. Sea

Seattle_Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That doesn't apply to the hooligans, the police or to the security services. The Russian hooligans are not going to be warm and welcoming and just like any other human being. Just remember what they did to England fans in France two years ago.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/england-fan-beaten-senseless-russian-8325205

Mark Stephenson likes this.
  7. Mark Stephenson

Mark Stephenson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    SEA is correct I am afraid - The Russian hooligans treat hooliganism seriously, it is a sport to them and they train for it in organised events - unlike the typical British hooligan - around 50 with a beer belly tanked up and swinging hail mary punches - the Russian hooligan doesn't drink, is around 25, super fit and battle hardened - anyone who is speaking English on match day is a target for a good hiding - especially if Boris Johnson is at the game!!

8. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t think there’ll be much trouble.

I’d say a big reason so many Russian’s went to France kicking off is because they can’t get away with it at home. I can’t think of many instances where fans travelling to CSKA, Lokomotiv, Spartak, Zenit etc have been attacked.

My guess is the Russian police will & do come down hard on any hooligans. I’m sure plenty of them would be quite happy to see English fans get a hiding but there’s three main reasons it won’t happen.

Firstly, if there’s a lot of trouble they can kiss goodbye to hosting anything major in my lifetime again, olympics, Winter Olympics, World Cup, euros etc.

Secondly, they really don’t need the bad p.r. after all the doping issues in the last few years.

And of course the main one, Russia’s all about imagine & looking to be in control. Does anyone seriously think Putin would be happy to see brawls in every host city? For him he’ll want to show the Russian police to be in control of everything & dominant whilst the world is watching.

I still wouldn’t go just in case it does kick off but I can’t see much trouble

Xerxes and Merde Tete like this.
  9. Mark Stephenson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  10. tho

thomasevans Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I for one think that the England team should be withdrawn from the tournament as a sign of our contempt of what Russia has done. The best light in which I can cast Putin is that he is weak and has lost control of his underlings, who carry out indiscriminate crime including murder. Presenting him as a strong leader is a political hologram. The worst light in which I can cast him is that he is complicit in attempted murder in the Salisbury case. Neither is pretty.

11. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The vast majority of the England fans are going on packages - special charter flights that take them in and out, just for the games. There won't be the usual amount of lagered-up cap-ends hanging round the town square bars. I've just got back from 10 days and 14 flights in Russia, visiting nine of the cities hosting games. People very welcoming, apart from Kaliningrad, where they're still a bit wary of foreigners (it's a historical thing). I had no worries about going back in the summer, until that utter ***** Johnson opened his ill-informed, ignorant gob this week. The Russian people are so proud of the fight they put up against the Nazis - some really moving war memorials in Volgograd - Johnson's comments were never going to win him any friends there.

Merde Tete, Django and Kettlewell like this.
  12. Micky Finn

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Most of that based on what he'd seen on TV - no research or investigation on his part. No more credence than some bloke down the boozer suggesting 'it'll kick off big time'.

Kettlewell likes this.
  13. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

I saw the other day that tickets weren't selling. We are traditionally one of the best supported nations for Euros and world cups, but we've only sold a small part of our allocation.

I wouldn't be surprised if an English fan wasn't badly injured or worse.

14. Mark Stephenson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Going on holiday/business is slightly different from going to a football match in Russia though don't you think ? - I know a few Russian people here that live near me and they are nice respectable people as are the majority of Russian's in Russia - my point is - how can you be sure that Russian hooligans will stay away from England games ? - the answer is I don't think you can be sure - if that is the case then I don't think it matters if you are not tanked up - if you are wearing the England colours or speak English that is good enough - I know England supporters who went out to France who are teetotal and not looking for trouble and they got a good hiding -

15. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, though I don't envy you having to take 14 internal flights around Russia! Probably the scariest thing about living there, and something I avoid at all costs!

16. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You are absolutely right. Moscow, St Petersburg and Sochi have a long history of hosting big events successfully, sporting and others, and I don't envisage any trouble there. As for the provincial cities, they're a bit of an unknown quantity. But people had the same fears about England playing in Donetsk in Euro 2012, and the atmosphere was absolutely fantastic. Even Ukraine v England passed off absolutely trouble free.

Django likes this.
  17. Micky Finn

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Charter flight provided by FIFA...

18. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a relief!

19. Micky Finn

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Won't be in the summer. Moscow briefly, then Sochi for Portugal-Spain, Volgograd for the England game, then the luxury of a whole week in Nizhny for Argentina-Croatia and the England-Panama game. Can't remember the schedule after that.....

20. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Let me know if you come back to Petersburg. I'll be there all tournament. Nizhny Novgorod is lovely, though I'm not sure I'd cope with a week there! Did you manage to find any good local ales?