Speed cameras

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by SuperTyke, May 21, 2017.

1. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I broadly support them. Speeding is undoubtedly a factor in many road collisions, if not the direct cause it certainly makes accidents more likely and the consequences far worse. Particularly for vulnerable road users like pedestrians and cyclists etc.

SuperTyke likes this.
  2. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I support them in general but I think they should be set a few miles above the limit (which I think most are anyway) but it should be common knowledge that they are rather than guesswork. The reason for that is that when you aren't sure you spend all your time staring at your Speedo in case you creep 1mph above the limit especially with average cameras. If for example I knew that the limit on the m1 was 70mph but the camera was set at 75mph then I would safely drive at 70 without staring at my Speedo. If I think it may go off at 71mph I will be concentrating more on not slipping up rather than on the road.

Also think that speed limit signs should be more common n rads with cameras. The amount of times I've been doing 38mph on what I was sure was a 40mph road uonly to see a camera and hit the brakes just in case it was a 30 is ridiculous. Why not put 40mph signs up just as you would first see a camera? That way you know for sure.

DusThaNoIII likes this.
  3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can only understand them complaining when there is a temporary speed reduction that they didn't notice such as on a motorway or during roadworks because it can be genuine that they didn't realise they were speeding but in general nope no complaints

4. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've no gripe with fixed and average speed cameras and, in principle, mobiles. What does piss me off is some of the locations they pick for the mobile cameras; places where there is no significant accident risk eg. just inside a speed restriction sign or on bridges overlooking overtaking lanes where it's easy to push above the limit to overtake quickly and safely. Easy money in my opinion.
    Coincidentally both places where I've been caught recently. .

5. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Your first point I don't agree with as people would just be watching that the speedo doesn't creep up to 76 rather than 71 if it was common knowledge.

Your second point I do agree with, although most cameras I've seen do have signs just before and I like to reassure myself with a quick look even though I drive down that road every single day and I know for a fact it's 40.

6. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd actually like speed camera's / mobile camera's to be used to protect people rather than as a money making exercise which is what they are currently.

Too many are on the way out of villages & towns just before the speed limit changes to catch people out. They should be near shops & schools.

Speed's only a small issue anyway now.

The two biggest issues are people on their phones & people not using indicators. I'm not sure how you police that

7. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I support them and abhor the whingers who get caught. I do think speed limit on motorways should be raised and the times lorries are allowed to travel on them limited.

DusThaNoIII likes this.
  8. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't agree with this, if everyone knows that the cameras are set for 75, then most people will drive at 75 and spend most of their time looking at the speedometer whilst driving that little bit faster, thereby making the roads even more dangerous.

Agree completely with this, I think the back of the yellow box should have a repeater-style speed limit sign on it.

9. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. The trick is not to get caught.

10. TLD

TLD ZOFF Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Voluntary tax, innit.

11. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Like most things there is no absolute black and white answer. They definitely have their uses, a prominent speed camera at a place which has a history of speeding being a problem is a good idea as it will force drivers to slow down or get caught
    But in many places they are there for revenue generation not really road safety.

As for the cameras on Motorways....
    On Saturday night around 10 pm I was on the M1 in light traffic. around 1 lanes worth all doing 70-80 mph. Then the overheads came on speed limit of 60 then 50 then 40 - the reason there was a broken down car in a refuge area and the inside lane was closed as a precaution. So 3 lanes out of 4 were running a buffer lane was there between the broken down car and the traffic and the limit was 40. Some cars drove at 40 , some shot past at 60-70 and stood on the brakes to go past each gantry that might have had a camera and some just shot past and risked it. I felt very unsafe at 40 - with no fear of a speed camera I would have gone faster as it was safer
    Even better there was no sign to indicate the road was now clear, after a couple of 4 signs the gantries were then blank some cars speeded up some kept at 40 as they werent sure what to do. Makes me angry.

Also had a stretch at 50 because of congestion - again 1 lane of traffic on a 4 lane motorway which only bunched up due to the unnecessary speed limit - not that that would help anyone flashed at 60 and fined

12. Euroman

Euroman Well-Known Member

Training and Development Consultant retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I saw the Police Intercepters programme on TV today. Driver doing 70 on the A1 through road works with a 40 limit. When pulled over I expected to see a young male driver but it was a young woman who said the speed limit was 70. The Policeman agreed with her but not in a 40 limit. She claimed not to have seen all the cones and 40 signs. It turned out that she hadn't got a licence but she was adamant she had. She played the victim too.