Spoken to a few people who thought...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jay, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We were the better team. I really didn't. I thought we had much more technically proficient players but I thought they played better. Also spoken to a few people who thought they were the better team. Conclusion from that is it was about even.

Excellent corner for the goal, but other than that...

We were at home to Southend and there was nothing between us. And last week we were at home to Bristol rovers and there was nothing between us. The week before we were distinctly second best to both Charlton and Shrewsbury. The week before we edged it at home over Luton

We stuffed Peterborough but other than that I've seen nothing since Bradshaw left to suggest we're a top half side never mind one that claims its gunning for automatic promotion.

At the moment were getting pummelled away and just about getting away with it at home, through luck as much as performance.

A good side can play badly and win apparently. I'd agree with that to a certain extent and we're doing that at the moment, but it's rare a good side looks no better than poor opposition week after week, scraping victories at home and getting stuffed away. Put simply, that isn't a good side.

tobes, Django, PLOBBY and 3 others like this.
  2. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    They certainly strung more passes together , and got behind us with a couple which we were certainly lacking .
    About same as us in final third though .
    A draw would have been fair but glad they didn’t get it .

3. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Haven't Southend only been beaten away once this season. We were the better side imo it wasn't a classic they came for the point defended well blocked to stop thiam and Potts 1st half Potts should of buried the volly just before half time then he should of scored when he hit the bar. Bahre offered nothing no goals or assists in his time here how he gets in the side before moncur I will never know.

wakeyred, occook, scarf and 2 others like this.
  4. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you judge on the past few performances....we have been poor.
    We have better players than most we have played but teams have matched us with desire and over matched us with physicality.
    Ive said all along...i will judge us properly when we have a full compliment out.
    The Bradshaw issue...you are correct....moore is screaming out for help and our over eagerness to loan/sell our welshman has proved costly in terms of playing style.
    Lets hope Woodrow can get up to speed and help out.Just pleased we are picking up points at the moment...as the playing style is poor.

5. Feffered

Feffered Well-Known Member

Training manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We were VERY poor again. If we do manage to finish top 6 it will epitomize just how poor this league is. We can surely only get better.......At the moment we are awful to watch.

6. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sunderland showed how to beat Southend easily last week and they are a promotion rival we need to keep up with. After reading the Southend view in the Chronicle yesterday, with how little between the teams they were, you wouldn't know they have eight players out long term injured.

7. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hit the bar twice. Debatable off side disallowed goal. We were average but still could have won by 3 or 4

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Stahlrost, Ask BFC, Connor and 3 others like this.
  8. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we are missing Dougall as well. Mcgeechan worked today but he is better going forward. Insight for passes is poor. Nothing really came off today. Potts should have had a brace and looked lively, as did Thiam. A game largely where defences were on top.

Good news is we nicked the winner. Their offside looked close. Will be interesting to see the 2 offsides again.

Kettlewell and Tykeored like this.
  9. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thiam should have had two if he could finish from 6 yards, god knows how Potts first half effort didn’t go in. Played crap and could have had half a dozen goals but some on here reckon we’re not good enough for automatic...

Kettlewell likes this.
  10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I thought he was offside, just, so I'm not too bothered about that one. But I thought they missed opportunities in both the first and second half where a half competent team would have easily scored. They had 4 on 2 and screwed it up on at least three occasions. Maybe that's the level of the division, I've been judging it too highly and we'll consistently get away with this sort of thing. I hope so. But any ideas that we could take this team into the championship without wholesale changes and suffer anything other than abject humiliation is just pie in the sky. To be honest, I don't think we'll get anywhere near a promotion place, so I should probably stop worrying about it.

wakeyred likes this.
  11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think that's a completely bizarre synopsis of an even game against a poor team. But there you go.

12. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We weren't crap. We were us.

And we didn't score those chances because those who were trying to score weren't good enough.

That's why we're not good enough for automatic.

Southend should have had 2 or 3 today. But they couldn't finish, like us.

Jay likes this.
  13. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This league isn’t great, you don’t have to play well to win games with the squad we have. It’s the same with Sunderland and Pompey, they’re not great sides either hence why they’re in this division, but they keep winning like we have done today.

14. Sea

Seattle_Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We've won our last 3 home games. Teams come to stop us playing and try to catch us on the break. We don't have the experienced two or three players who have been through all this before so we're going to huff and puff a lot. I remember the 80/81 and 81/82 seasons and believe me it wasn't all scintillating football. A lot of it was like today - dig in and get a result. If we can improve away and average 2 points a game till May then we should be top three. As the team plays together more they should improve together. I'm happy with how we're doing. We're certainly doing better than we did in our first season after our last 2 relegations to this tier when we finished 19th and 11th.

Connor, ScubaTyke, Metatarsal and 3 others like this.
  15. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You've probably got a point on that, but I thought Southend had has many chances as we had today. We had Keiffer Moore and maybe that's all it takes.

wakeyred likes this.
  16. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    By the way, we’re on course for 89 points which we’d be extremely unlucky not to go up with, so you saying we’re not good enough to go up automatically is just wrong (in my opinion, you’re entitled to yours)

17. Feffered

Feffered Well-Known Member

Training manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Should "have"

ade and Airon c redscue like this.
  18. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    17 shots to 7 in our favour.....5 on target to 3 (I'm not sure if hitting the woodwork is on target or not)

19. #FWF

#FWF Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    That touch from Hedges where Potts hit the bar was divine. Would have been a great team goal that one.

Django, occook and Jimmy viz like this.
  20. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Statto likes this.