Surely this is letting terrorism win?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by John Peachy, May 24, 2017.

1. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I appreciate the security risks, but there are millions of crowded places everywhere, that terrorists could strike. To give in to them like this sends the wrong message in my opinion.

Maybe pressure has been put on them by security forces?

Measures need to be taken, but cancellation of things like this shows they are getting to people.

I like the other gestures btw

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40031876

Kettlewell likes this.
  2. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    No problem with the cancellation of a victory parade

Completely baffled as to why a beam back to the stadium has been cancelled though - that makes no sense at all

3. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Must be a good reason IMO JP (inside knowledge). It's long been thought that an attack on a major football stadium
    could be tried. One theory was they would have a go at a Club with strong Jewish support/ ownership or Wembley.
    It sad but I'd rather cancellations happen rather than any more innocents losing their lives.

Like we've heard on this site some of our contributors have had loved ones caught up in the Manchester bombing.
    Thank God they're OK. A lad I used work with from Crigglestone had two daughters working in London when the 7/7 bombings occurred. Having visited them he knew they were on that bus that got bombed on their way to ther jobs at Guys Hospital.
    The news came through and I looked over at him. He was drip white and shaking . His wife then phoned to say that their eldest Helen had slept in so they had had to get a taxi. We had to take him home poor lad. That's how I could relate to CE and JBP's trauma. They must have been out of their minds with worry.

4. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    There has to be a balance- clearly if there is some knowledge of a specific threat then cancellation of an event is an option that must be considered seriously. But we cant stop going to events because there is a general risk of an attack anymore than we cant stop flying or getting public transport etc. I remember in the old IRA days a bomb going off and a bar I sometimes visited in London getting hit - I wasnt there but it still shakes you up a bit but it didnt stop me going into London for drinks.

5. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not to the same level as CE and JBP, but 3 of my daughter's good friends were there and it was a worrying half hour until we'd heard they were all safe and on the way home. If I'm honest I've not been 100% since - it seems every time one of these happens it gets closer to home :(

6. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought the exact same

7. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good that you're friends loved ones are safe Scoff. Just been reading that thirteen planned attacks have been foiled since
    2013 and yet manuals appear on Google and Facebook to tell fanatics how to make bombs and target "ideal locations".
    There is an IS guide on line called " The Ruling on the belligerent Christians."

Is states "ideal target locations for hostage taking scenarios include night clubs, theatres, shopping malls, large stores, restaurants, concert halls, university campuses, public swimming pools, indoor skating rinks and generally any busy enclosed area".
    How long can we allow such madness to continue.? Members of the SAS are now in Manchester. That tells us they are
    taking the threat of future attacks very seriously indeed.
    It appears this fanatic only returned to the UK from Libya a few days ago. Can't understand why he wasn't watched more closely.

8. John Peachy

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If it has come from the security services, then the clubs would have to comply obviously.
    It is a difficult balance & I'm glad I don't have to make those kinds of decisions.

Terrible act. I had a few friends who had taken their kids there. All safe thankfully.

9. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know what you mean. I could very easily have been on the St Petersburg tube train that got bombed, as could my wife and little girl. It was probably the station I use more than any other that got hit. Luckily, I was in Lincoln that day. Fine margins.

10. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's London though int'it.

11. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No. Everything's on high alert throughout the Uk so it make sense based on security advice to try where they can reduce crowds as as further attacks are expected.

If anything the attack showed that the British people are the best in the world in the face of adversity. From the homeless of Manchester steaming in to help without a care in the world about their own safety to the taxi drivers of Liverpool driving through to help get people home refusing to take a penny.

Do you think when people stand together like this some madcap Islamists can defeat this great nation?

Others have tried and failed.

Red CB likes this.
  12. pin

pingiskola Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Yes let's have it and put more pressure on the security services, police, ambulance, hospitals and everyone else who okay become involved if something does happen.
    It really is a huge risk worth taking isn't it?

Or perhaps not, why not just go about your normal business instead of watching a load of multi millionaires enjoying themselves...

Just think how they guilty they may feel if anything did go wrong though. Have you thought about that? ???

13. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The homeless lad who stepped in to help victims of the Manchester bombings kindness is being rewarded.
    David Sullivan co-owner of West Ham United is going to cover 6 months free accommodation and give him some
    money to hopefully give him a start to get his life back on track.
    He's had his critics in the past but I wish there were more people like David Sullivan in this world.

14. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    UK Police have put a stop to sharing evidence from the Manchester bombing with USA security forces.
    Photographs from the scene showing some debris recovered were sent to officials in the US.
    One photograph shows what look to be parts of a detonator and the torn remnants of a haversack Police think
    the bomb was carried in. Both items are heavily blood stained.
    They were sent in the hope that the US might provide intelligence to the origin of the detonator or any links to who may have
    made the device as they believe Abedi did not make it but acted as the "mule".
    Apparently the pictures have been published in the New York Times leading to a Government spokesperson to say the
    UK Government and Police are concerned at the level of insensitivity and have for now suspended all contact and dialogue.
    It's being said Theresa May is to take the matter up personally with Donald Trump when she's next in contact with him.

15. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Saw this on the news this morning. Releasing details like that (and his name, the number of victims, etc) first in the US (and French apparently) media first can compromise the investigation and/or increase the chance of another attack. If you were a terrorist with a stock of detonators, you would either dump them or use them before you were caught with them

16. John Peachy

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Insensitivity is not in the vocabulary of Trump & his appointees. All this is proving the world is a far more dangerous place with this meat head in the white house

Donny Red and Farnham_Red like this.
  17. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just been reading about the bombers brother in Syria. Apparently he was being lined up
    to carry out a separate bombing. The article claims that Police received repeated warnings about Abedi in Manchester
    and it claims he had links to the Paris and Brussels terror cells. His brother in who detonated the bomb
    had apparently deposited £2,500 of ISIS money in an account to enable him to carry out his "mission."
    The Special Deterrent Force in Libya had the brother and his father under surveillance for around 2 months but
    are thought not to have told their UK counterparts about the threat because they thought the brother Hashem was planning
    his attack in Tripoli.
    Sounds as though a lot of what's been known, reported and done has fallen between the cracks with tragic consequences
    unfortunately.

18. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its not a case of falling through the cracks.

Its a blantent lack of man power meaning the security forces cant be everywhere as much as they try.

Three thousand at last release UK based islamists on their watchlist.

Prevented 5 attacks since westminister.

Up until monday an arrest a day since the West Minister attack.

dartonpete likes this.
  19. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Watching Question Time. A Muslim woman has said that anybody who says radicalisation is not happening in mosques
    is in denial. She alleges kids as young as seven are being given books and told about events in the Middle East.
    Amber Rudd is in the audience and the woman said to her she needs to shut down any Saudi funded mosques immediately
    Another Muslim woman said none of the mosques are funded with a Saudi money.
    Looks as though the Government has a bigger job than they thought on their hands.

20. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The murderer apparently phone his mother to ask for forgiveness before he killed children. Obviously she did **** all to stop it.