Thai cave rescue mission

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tomi, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Tomi

Tomi Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's an incredible story! Reminds me of the Chilean miners from a few years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44688909

I wasn't expecting this to end in a happy way, but it's great to hear that the boys are alive and fairly well considering the circumstances. I hope that they manage to get them all out soon! [​IMG] The last ten days must have been a real nightmare for those kids and their families...

2. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Incredible isn't it? Fingers crossed that the rescue mission goes well. Better to wait until it's safe than risk things by rushing.

Tykeored and Tomi like this.
  3. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Said on the news it could take until October to get them out , I thought the news reader had made a mistake but they think it might be months

4. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It’s certainly a feel good story as the pessimist in me felt it was not gonna end good .
    However questions must be asked of future school/outdoor activity clubs and the lack of experience entering into such environments .
    But for now let’s wallow in thankfulness that they’re all ok as the optimist in me says they’ll all get out ok.

5. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They will either have to learn to dive in order to get out or stay there four months until flood water recedes.

6. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was speaking to the husband about this last night and comparing it to the Chilean miners and how long it took to get them out after they were found. Hopefully they can learn to scuba dive and get out that way although the way is apparently quite difficult. In the book written about the miners (worth a read) they said that they struggled horribly with waiting once they had been found and the initial fear was over. Even with the food and medical supplies the conditions were so damp and awful they became really ill.

7. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Its not an ideal environment for learning to scuba dive . And cave diving is much more difficult than diving in a nice safe lagoon.
    I imagine the experts will decide whats best, 4 months stuck down or diving through flooded tunnels - neither choice looks enticing but hopefully all will be rescued now they are found - maybe another way in can be found as well

JamDrop likes this.
  8. Lor

Lordtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Welsh cave divers who got to them apparently...good for them, great effort and a fabulous outcome

9. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apparently most of them can't even swim, let alone scuba dive, so obviously a huge task ahead. As a parent myself, must be absolutely terrifying for the families as well as the kids themselves.

Fingers crossed they can find another way.

10. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just seen on the news one is from Bristol and the other is a retired fireman from the midlands somewhere. Apparently both are acknowledged among the best cave rescue divers in the world and one has an OBE/MBE for his previous work in the field.

11. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So very sad to hear that one of the former Thai Navy divers has died after running out of oxygen
    on his way out of the caves. Just underlines the gravity of this rescue excercise.
    Rest in peace Saman Gunan. He truly was a hero.

arabian_ian and John Peachy like this.
  12. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Very sad, not to mention extremely worrying within the wider context of the rescue. Goes without saying that if a former Navy Seal has lost his life, for a bunch of untrained kids to get out will be perilous in the extreme. Fingers well and truly crossed for all concerned.

13. Tomi

Tomi Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, I read about that this morning and my heart sank a little. I think I may have underestimated the gravity of the situation a bit. I knew that the solution is not as simple as "give the boys diving gear and push them in the water" but I still thought that it couldn't be that hard. I mean, not deadly hard at least. Even the concept of such a massive cave feels weird to me.

Anyway... If an experienced professional diver dies in the cave, what chance do the kids that can't even swim have? I'm really hoping that this case will have a happy ending without any more casualties!

Farnham_Red likes this.
  14. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As this situation gets worse day by day it shows more and more what a badly thought out trip this was. I know we go overboard on health and safety issues but it looks like they didn’t consider it at all when taking a bunch of kids into such a dangerous place.

John Peachy likes this.
  15. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Awful news can only imagine the stress and worry the parents of the children are going through.

16. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I saw a really informative video from a diver there yesterday who was explaining each option. He said they may have to ‘package’ the children tied up with an air mask strapped over their faces and drag them out between the divers :(. He said it would be traumatic for them to travel in that way and very difficult for the divers but it would enable them to get them out without the children having to do any work and lesson the danger of them being able to move around and so risking their lives by panicking. It’s an awful, awful situation. He said if it could be guaranteed that they could wait it out without the water rising then that would be the safest option (whilst still miserable). However, of course, rain is predicted and oxygen levels are getting low so they may need to evacuate.

Tomi likes this.
  17. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It really is a bad situation all round. After reading more about the likely hazards everyone
    faces, I am truly mortified to even think of the possible outcomes, other than wait four months
    for the flood waters to subside to attempt to get them out then. Whatever happens, prayers and thoughts
    are with them, their families and brave rescuers in the hope that no more life is lost.

18. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A group of four Thai and fourteen foreign divers commenced the attempt to get
    the young lads and their coach out of the cave at 03:00 GMT. Details as to how it's
    being undertaken have not been released. If successful, the first party should start to
    emerge at circa 4 pm today.,Let's hope and pray that no more lives are lost and that
    everyone involved comes out of there safely.

JamDrop and churtonred like this.
  19. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been announced that the remaining boys and their trainer have now been safely extricated
    from the caves thanks to the skill and bravery of all the divers and ancillary rescue workers.
    Thank the Lord there was no further loss of life.

JamDrop likes this.
  20. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well thank the rescuers anyway

Redstone likes this.