The 100 Cricket

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by e-red, Jul 30, 2021.

1. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I viewed this competition with some scepticism because it sounded like what it is, a marketing attempt to sell Cricket to the masses. I have to say though that I'm enjoying it. I'm particularly enjoying the women's cricket and I think that the lasses have come on loads with regular games against the world's best.
    I'm still annoyed that the guts has been ripped out of the Yorkshire men's 50:50 side though.

PLOBBY likes this.
  2. ryc

rycalshaw Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've watched a couple but i can't enjoy it the same when i'm not really bothered who wins, its a bit of a mish mash isn't it?, i'm assuming its been inspired by the IPL...

3. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I was chatting about the 100 at the weekend and my sentiments were echoed back. We started kicking around a few thoughts on how to make it really different and simple (and just for this thing, not proper cricket)

The first thought was to get rid of the lbw rule. Its one of the more complicated laws, takes up loads of time trying to decide if its out or not, then reviews etc. So get rid of it. We might see innovation in stances, shots and how bowlers bowl.

Another idea was to introduce throwing instead of bowling. Maybe limit it to how many you can throw, and make sure the batsmen is aware its a throw. Maybe had to be done from standing like baseball pitchers.

The final idea was scoring zones, to eliminate running. Where the ball stops rolling or where its fielded is how many runs you get. Even if you're caught out.

Just thoughts, and if the ECB want to come up with something truly different, I'd go with changing the game, just not putting dayglo paint on it.

JamieBreweryStander likes this.
  4. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am enjoying it and there are many more positives than negatives. The on screen graphics are awful, often delayed updates and confusing. But thats the coverage.

as for the sport it is creating a wide appeal to a much wider demographic. Ive seen some young players that have been very impressive in both mens and women's format.

Seeing ‘franchise’ stars i. Each team evens the playing field but offers entertainment in most games.
    Seeing Yorkies like Brunt and Bairstow play elsewhere is odd. Enjoying the overall sport itself is good but im going for the Manchester Originals as a favoured team for this season at least.

5. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I really hope it does appeal to a new generation, cos it ain't appealling to me.
    No identity. Northern Superchargers?
    Welsh Fire (featuring Jonny Bairstow)??
    Hard to tell the run rate. At least if a team is 100 after ten overs it is ingrained in me that it equates to 10 an over.
    Likewise if a bowler has bowled 4 overs and gone for 20 runs I know instantly that he is going at 5 an over. But 30 runs off 17 balls just doesn't register.
    I also thought that "every ball counts" yet it seems to me it is nowhere near the smash, bang wallop that we were led to believe would excite the pants off people.
    The 2nd innings is vaguely more interesting as the graphic makes more sense and the chase is obvious.
    But nah, not for me.

We already had two short formats. The T20 gave the smash, bang, wallop and excitement. The crowds flocked and it looked good live and on TV.
    The 50 over was getting better again after years of multiple competitions and 40 over variants. It doesn't have the same "bang" as T20 but to me always struck a good balance between brutal entertainment and skills from the longer format. Yorks won a 650 run match in the last week, and a couple of weeks ago I think it was Kent / Durham ...... the crowds got 100 overs and well over 700 runs for their money. Plough the investment into that?

100 is a tinker too far. Rugby League tinkered far too much and (to me) became uninteresting and over-complicated. And as said above, the damage done to the existing short form is lamentable.

I'm not a fan.

6. La Dent de Crolles

La Dent de Crolles Well-Known Member

Photomask Engineer
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Scoring like the Test Match table top game!

Should also have the fielders only be able to "catch" the same as table top game too!!

7. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As an exiled Yorkshireman living in Sale, just a few miles south of Old Trafford it is allowing me to change sides.

As the Northern Powerhouses or whatever they are called are not a Yorkshire side, I can transfer my allegiance to the Manchester Originals and go watch them and not feel guilty (well, just a bit guilty and a bit dirty).

Chippy red and Redhelen like this.
  8. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whilst that could be quite an exciting game, would it actually still be cricket? It sounds at least as far removed from it as basketball is from netball.

9. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'd argue this isn't cricket ;-) But I think they've been a bit timid. If you're going to change something to appeal to kids and a whole new audience, be brave. if it flops, you can water it down again.

10. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've not watched any 100, but I've spoken to people about it and a lot of the purists among my friends are aghast. To be honest I thought 20/20 was as basic as it could get for a cricket game, but 100 balls? Might as well go the whole hog and reduce it to ten overs per side. With two balls in play at once.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  11. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It makes zero sense to relegate the 50 over game, for which we are world champions, to a 2nd 11 afterthought. And will unfortunately damage our future pipeline. Counties have taken the shilling and sold their souls, it might keep them in the black for now but it’s a nail in the coffin of the 4 day game and therefore test match cricket, in the end we’re going to end up with a very different game at the end of it all. For some That’s fine, but it makes me sad.

12. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is cricket, there's a bloke at one end with a bat, and 22 yards away there's a bowler. I can understand that it's not for everyone, but if we only had test match cricket for the purists then cricket would die a slow death.

Chippy red likes this.
  13. EdinburghRed

EdinburghRed Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I Like 20/20, fast and exciting and great to watch. The 100 is only 20 balls less, so don't really see the point in it, unless they drastically alter the format - I like the idea of only bowled or run out wicket's counting, and maybe bring the boundary in a little to encourage big hits - otherwise, it's a no from me.

Cunning Stunt likes this.
  14. Chi

Chippy red Well-Known Member

And call it baseball!

Redhelen likes this.
  15. Chi

Watched a good bit of it now mainly because I'm going tomorrow. It's grown on me more and more. I was well sick when ben stokes messed up against notts. I've been calling em Yorkshire when I speak to my son.
    Not been any bad games yet.

16. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wonder if Stokes slip up against Notts had a bearing on today’s announcement?

Chippy red likes this.
  17. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is every bit of the shameless money grab that the ESL was. A cynical marketing scheme with complete disrespect and disregard to a century and a half of tradition.

18. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s 20:20 with a 5 ball over. Perhaps it’s just decimalisation? When cricket started half a dozen was a thing.

Redhelen likes this.
  19. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It’s a ridiculous game. Good on you if you enjoy it though. Please don’t moan however when England are 50 for 5 next week.

Chippy red and e-red like this.
  20. Chi

Think he's got broader shoulders than that.
    Is he injured? Not played much recently has he!