"The club has pursued Gerhard in the past"

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Fonzie, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So, have we just found out who was above Stendel in the recruitment process?

It was widely reported that DS was 2nd on our list of targets when he was appointed.

Good luck Gerhard, I feel you'll need it.

Dillydilly likes this.
  2. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From what I recall he was third. Behind Pep Guardioula & Klopp.

3. wombwell-red

wombwell-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Genuinely just read this in the article and found it very interesting. According to Conway - Stendel was only behind Klopp and Guardiola on the list so they're saying Struber was below Stendel on the list or they've scouted him out a previous time as a potential replacement for Stendel if he was to leave.

Redhelen and On yer tyke like this.
  4. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Verisimilitude…. the illusion of truth.

5. Red

Reds Fan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can’t believe people are suggesting Paul Conway may have exaggerated

6. fit

fitzytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Best managerial appointment in clubs history

7. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I read it that he was on our radar in the past. Nothing more than that really.

You might scout three or four strikers at once (or not in our case this Summer) but only sign your top target. Doesn't mean you weren't fans of the other strikers.

8. KFC

KFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You'd have thought they'd have considered long and hard the impact of any part of the statement they planned to release for this appointment, given the scrutiny the last one got. Which makes the line "the club has pursued him in the past" pretty bizarre - why include it if not to invite speculation as to when?

Presumably it has to be either when they appointed Morais, when they appointed Stendel, or whilst Stendel was in a job.

When they appointed Morais, they said he was their first choice: https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/jose-morais/

They didn't say the same on appointing Stendel, so I can only assume the implication is that Struber was first choice when they appointed Stendel: https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2018/june/stendel-announced/

Which makes it at best another petty dig at Stendel, and at worst an indication they sought to replace him before he actually left.

Anyway... matters not. Good luck to Struber!

9. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    There are certainly numerous points which seem petty, out of touch, over exaggerated and completely lacking in class. So at least its consistent with our owners typical offerings... when they fleetingly come.

10. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think this is a very strange take and way over the top. I know your mentality at the moment is to display over the top negativity and go against the club on every point that comes up for discussion, which is your right to do, but 'completely lacking in class' and 'numerous points that seem petty' is a bit much, no?

11. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    No. There are ample digs in there. And its ridiculously overegged setting the guy up for a fall if he can't work a miracle.

12. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Surely even you can acknowledge that this statement needed to be full of positivity and excitement to at least try and gain some feelings back from the fans? How else should they announce him?

I don't see ample digs at all. And neither will a high percentage of fans.

13. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Everyone can judge everything how they wish. The digs are very evident, but I can understand some won't want to see them.

By all means be positive, be accurate... but this is Barnsley. the guy will never have heard of us. So making it sound like he knows the fans is fake. Making him sound like the next coming of Christ is disingenuous, and if he doesn't win games, increasing disillusion will occur.

Just be honest and down to earth. Fake hyperbole that jars against truth and reality won't win fans on board. Honesty and being more humble while backing it up with actions might slowly turn the negativity of their own making.

14. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If the digs are so very evident why has it taken you two replies to point them out? I understand the frustration, the current view of Conway and the board, etc. but to pick holes in the statement and take such umbrage with it, for me is over the top.

To assume someone who has worked in football his whole career won't have heard of Barnsley is ridiculous. These are football people. They live and breathe it and we've spent many a year in the very high profile Championship during his coaching career.

How have we made him look like the next coming of Christ when this is how we announced Stendel?

--------------------------------------

A new era has dawned upon Oakwell as the Club look to have a strong season in Sky Bet League One with the clear goal of automatic promotion back to the Sky Bet Championship. A Head Coach with a clear strategy and philosophy has been identified in order to express the desire of the board, the players and the fans of Barnsley Football Club.

44-year-old Stendel arrives with a high-profile reputation within German football and has been developing a strong work-ethic of progressing the talents of young players whilst playing a high-intensity, attacking style of football. Stendel likes his players to be exceedingly fit and use a counter-pressing system against the opposition at all opportunities. This enables his side to win the ball back seconds after losing it and move into the attacking third of the pitch at every available possibility. During his time with Hannover 96, Stendel’s side managed 50 goals in 28 games, showing the attacking nature of his coaching style.

His experience of implementing a style and philosophy came to fruition at Hannover 96, with whom the new Barnsley Head Coach played nearly 200 matches for during a 14 year career. Appointed as the lead of the Bundesliga side in 2016, Stendel boasted a 54% win ratio in just under a year in charge.

15. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Remember when the Don tried to sign Terry Butcher? What a time to be alive...

16. Jak

Jake The Red Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're wasting your time replying to him.

17. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't he helicopter in and then turn us down?

I'm not going to lie (and this is why I refuse to comment on managers anymore) I was sold on Butcher, and Spackman, as being the right people for the job. Butcher must regret turning us down as he only lasted another six months as a manager I think?

18. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Seeing as it was evident, I didn't think i'd have to run through line by line and highlight each slight, dig and hyperbole.

If you can't see those points, that's fine, but don't pretend this statement suddenly unites fans and makes up for 40+ days of contempt shown to the fans.

You might wonder why they sacked Stendel viewing that statement, might you? Got any further with an answer yet?

19. owd

owd lad New Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    G

20. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Stendel is gone and we have to draw a line under it now. Just hope the new guy is a success and we stay up. I can't see what will change between now and January though.